PDA

View Full Version : Delete tool without confirmation?

pschjolin
01-24-2009, 11:14 PM
Is there a delete utility that will simply delete files and folders without asking 20 questions? i.e. "This is a system file, do you want to delete it?", This is a hidden file...This file is too big for the recycle bin... etc. I often need to delete large folders containing all of the above. Often I'll begin the process only to return and find a prompt asking me yet another question. It would be nice if it deleted locked files AND would be smart enough to skip any file that it couldn't delete without just dumping (like Windows). Thanks in advance.

Bullfighter
01-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Good ol' DOS, still does have its advantages:

Open a Command Prompt:

For Directories: rmdir /S
http://www.computerhope.com/rmdirhlp.htm

(if the os is older than XP, use deltree)

For Files: del
http://www.computerhope.com/delhlp.htm

And to make it easier to open a command prompt in the directory you are in, MS Powertoys can add it to the context menu (right click):
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

EP

Resler
01-25-2009, 02:15 PM
If you use WinDirStat, which is a really good program to use to see whats using the space on your hard drive with a colored display as well as text. In WinDirStat you can right click on a file and select "Delete (No way to undelete)". It will still prompt you again if you want to delete the file but this will delete the file off the computer, meaning the file will never hit the recycle/ trash bin (kinda like Go Directly To Jail in Monopoly).

I know you don't want any prompts but atleast this will cut out some of the work in deleting files.

pschjolin
01-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Good ol' DOS, still does have its advantages:

Open a Command Prompt:

For Directories: rmdir /S

(if the os is older than XP, use deltree)

For Files: del

And to make it easier to open a command prompt in the directory you are in, MS Powertoys can add it to the context menu (right click):

EP

Thanks. I should have thought of that as I used to use DOS. I usually make a drive image of a client's computer before starting any major work. When I'm deleting it from my 1TB drive, I was getting irritated. Thanks again!!

pschjolin
01-25-2009, 11:25 PM
If you use WinDirStat, which is a really good program to use to see whats using the space on your hard drive with a colored display as well as text. In WinDirStat you can right click on a file and select "Delete (No way to undelete)". It will still prompt you again if you want to delete the file but this will delete the file off the computer, meaning the file will never hit the recycle/ trash bin (kinda like Go Directly To Jail in Monopoly).

I know you don't want any prompts but atleast this will cut out some of the work in deleting files.

I tried WinDirStat, but when I delete a directory, it asked all the same questions; ie "XXX is a systems file, program file, hidden file, ...do you want to delete it?" However I like all the stats it gives so I'll keep it. Thanks.

Jager
02-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Is there a delete utility that will simply delete files and folders without asking 20 questions? i.e. "This is a system file, do you want to delete it?", This is a hidden file...This file is too big for the recycle bin... etc. I often need to delete large folders containing all of the above. Often I'll begin the process only to return and find a prompt asking me yet another question. It would be nice if it deleted locked files AND would be smart enough to skip any file that it couldn't delete without just dumping (like Windows). Thanks in advance.

KillBox; I use it for manual virus removal...has options of delete on reboot as well...

MLCS
02-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Found this on another post...

REMOVE ANNOYING DELETE CONFIRMATION MESSAGES

Although not strictly a performance tweak I love this fix as it makes my machine 'feel' faster. I hate the annoying 'are you sure?' messages that XP displays, especially if I have to use a laptop touchpad to close them. To remove these messages:

1. Right-###### on the 'Recycle Bin' on the desktop and then ###### 'Properties'

2. Clear the 'Display Delete Confirmation Dialog' check box and ###### 'Ok'

If you do accidently delete a file don't worry as all is not lost. Just go to your Recycle Bin and 'Restore' the file.

From daynish @ http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1529