PDA

View Full Version : Remote PC Services Possibility

MSgherzi
01-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Hi,

At the moment, I do only on-site computer and electronics repair. So far, I've been making out pretty handsomely. I am currently majoring in Computer Information Systems and I'd like to be able to do a little bit of the work from my home as well.

I'm considering starting a Remote PC repair service and I wanted to ask a few questions to those who already do it.

Q1: What remote software do you recommend? I saw a thread below this that talked about it, but because I'm in college, I need something that's cheap and easy to use. I'd like to find something that's web-based so my customers don't need to actually install something.

Q2: Do I have the ability to format a computer using remote tools?

Q3: I'm known for my very reasonable prices and great service in my area. Since I don't even need to leave my house, I seriously do not see a point in charging $50.00 an hour like some other services I've seen. I can eat, drink, take a break, and do whatever while I fix the problem. I have always charged by the job rather than my the hour. I feel that my customers get a real sense of how much it'll be and they won't feel the need to stare at their watch and I won't feel the need to rush through it because I don't want to stiff them for their money. I tell my customers before I do the job how much I charge generally. For remote repairs, if I don't charge before the job then I could get ripped off very easily. On the other hand, if I charge first, my customers may feel that I could just run off with their money. Any suggestions?

Q4: How can I make sure that I'm not legally or in any other way liable or responsible to anything that happens after or during my process of fixing their computer?

Q5: Finally, can anyone who performs this type of service tell me what their opinions are of it? What are your experiences and what can you tell me that would aid me in my researching the possibility of getting involved in such a practice?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew Sgherzi

01-24-2009, 05:41 AM
Q2: Do I have the ability to format a computer using remote tools?

No. Though, technically, it's not impossible but would require a boot cd on the user's end and a LOT of technical know-how to implement. Again, no.

Q4: How can I make sure that I'm not legally or in any other way liable or responsible to anything that happens after or during my process of fixing their computer?

Ummm..."during"? You basically want to try to write terms that says you are not liable (or responsible) for anything at all, for anything you may do? I suggest you get a REALLY good attorney for that one.

Nathan H
01-24-2009, 09:37 AM
I use Logme in it has a few different packages (I think ours is the IT reach package)

It allows you to reboot the customers pc and has lots of usefull tools and reports built in, and once it is initially set up it doesn't require customer permission for us to access remotely, ideal for service contracts etc... Allowing you to do updates etc outside of their normal working hours, minimising any disruption to them.
If memory serves me right, it was an easy one or to click proceedure for our customers to activate it at there end.
Log me in charge on a per pc basis, we buy them in blocks of 5 users, you can uses the accounts as you see fit, have as many users as you like as long as you only uses no more than your package at anyone time.
E.G. PC1 = Service Contract permanantly set up
PC2 = Service Contract permanantly set up
PC3 = Service Contract permanantly set up
PC4 = Service Contract permanantly set up
PC5 = adhoc customers, we simply delete the account when we are fininished leaving it available to use for our next customer.
we always keep one available for our home user or none contract jobs.
We use this inconjunction with Paypal, our customers buy prepaid tickets for Remote support we sell them in 20 min blocks.

Something else we looked at is Crossloop it has a payment by paypal feature built in, it is good but they take a hefty 20% of what you charge. although Crossloop is good very user friendly and secure for our customers as they have to give us an access code from the computer to allow us to gain remote access, I just found logmein better, i think its more of a personal choice.

Test them both I'm failly sure they offer a free trial.

Oh My God after reading this post it sounds like an advert for Logmein......

TimeCode
01-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Oh My God after reading this post it sounds like an advert for Logmein......

LOL!!! Don't worry, we won't mark you as spam for it. Just don't let it happen again. :D