PDA

View Full Version : infection removal must be done on all user accounts.

nelsonm
01-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi all,

When removing infections from a computer, isn't it necessary to run the removal apps in safe mode on all user accounts?

I have found this to be true with spyware/malware/adware removal apps. The only exceptions are virus protection suites like Avast and others that cover all drives on a system.

Y.F.N.C.G.
01-24-2009, 01:07 AM
It depends on the extent of the infection. Most of the adware/malware/spyware that I've seen only resides on the profile of the user that acquired it.

nelsonm
01-24-2009, 03:23 AM
I serviced a computer with 4 accounts on it. You can't take the chance that only one has been infected, you must disinfect them all.

I wish removal programs would scan the entire system just as virus protection apps do.

thor999
01-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't piggybacking the drive and virus checking it that way cover all the accounts at once?

nelsonm
01-25-2009, 02:35 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't piggybacking the drive and virus checking it that way cover all the accounts at once?
Yes, as i stated in my previous post. Its spy/mal/ad ware removal apps that don't by default.

An installed Spybot does have a context menu feature that will add a "scan drive" to the piggybacked drive icon, but it appears not to work - at least not from Vista x64 anyway.