PDA

View Full Version : MS update site blocked by IE.

nelsonm
01-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi all,

I just removed AV2009 and other bad guys from computer. The only problem is that some AV2009 remanent has altered IE so that it is preventing me from accessing the Microsoft update page. I ran Malwarebytes, spybot, avast, ccleaner and dial-a-fix so far but MS update access is still being blocked. The page says i should download av2009 to fix the problem - right!

What else should i do other than a repair install and then a full reinstall?

My opinion is... why spend 3 or 4+ hours cleaning the computer when i can just reinstall a clean system and restore their accounts and data!

nelsonm
01-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Ok...

All looks good! I forgot to run the removal apps on each account. Once i did that, access to the MS update page was restored.

stevenamills
01-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Resetting IE to default values can frequently cure a lot of issues.

lawson_jl
01-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Frankly if it takes you 3-4 hours to remove AV2009 your doing something wrong. The best way to attack it is with ComboFix and either SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes to pick up the pieces. 30 minutes tops.

Azz
01-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Frankly if it takes you 3-4 hours to remove AV2009 your doing something wrong. The best way to attack it is with ComboFix and either SuperAntiSpyware or Malwarebytes to pick up the pieces. 30 minutes tops.

30 mins? SuperAntiSpyware takes that instelf sometimes....

supertech365
01-25-2009, 04:37 AM
i usually reinstall IE or mozilla all together after a hijack

nelsonm
01-25-2009, 03:46 PM
if it takes you 3-4 hours to remove AV2009 your doing something wrong.

I normally do the following on an infected machine regardless of known type of infection:
- infection removal
- temp file cleaning
- registry cleaning
- reset IE
- reset system update, services and dll's
- apply MS service packs and security updates (no device driver updates)
- insure MS firewall and automatic updates are up
- disable system restore
- install spybot and avast if customer does not have protection
- reboot
- re-scan for infections once more
- enable system restore

Some of the above procedures must be done on every account on systems with multiple user accounts.

If you guys think the order or the amount of the procedures is wrong, let me know.

supertech365
01-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Thats not bad. If that is what gets a system clean and removes infections, more power. A lot of the tasks you listed can be performed using only a few programs or several programs. Dial a fix has a lot of options. Depending on the speed of the pc, it will take time. I would choose 4 hours and a "for sure" clean system rather than 2 hours and a "should be" clean system any day.