PDA

View Full Version : Cloning a hard drive

wall2000x
01-17-2009, 02:41 AM
I have an old desktop that I just put in a new harddrive. I now realize that the bios won't allow me to load my slipsteamed XP onto the harddrive because it is setup to only load with floppy disks. I am not sure that my floppy disk drive works.

Can I ghost a HDD that I already have in another computer? If so, what software do I need?

Peter

Omnicef
01-17-2009, 04:22 AM
I have an old desktop that I just put in a new harddrive. I now realize that the bios won't allow me to load my slipsteamed XP onto the harddrive because it is setup to only load with floppy disks. I am not sure that my floppy disk drive works.

Can I ghost a HDD that I already have in another computer? If so, what software do I need?

Peter

uh..... Ghost will work. ;-) There are several free ones though. If ANY of the drives are seagate, you can use Seagate Drive Wizard which is an OEM version of Acronis.You can also try Drive Image XML or Clonezilla as well.

Jory
01-17-2009, 10:03 PM
More than likely that will not work. It can happen, but it's not an ideal situation. You should just find a way to install it directly using that computer.

You could try booting with a started DOS floppy and then running the setup from CD. I don't now if that works with XP, but back in the day I used to have to do that all the time to setup 95/98/ME.

If that doesn't work Microsoft has a knowledge base article somewhere that tells you how to prepare an XP install to move to another computer, but I can never find it when I need it.

seedubya
01-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Peter, will your old PC not allow you to change the boot device to CD? Or is the CD you're using not bootable?

wall2000x
01-18-2009, 01:25 AM
bios won't let me change, well it does but then boots to floppy.

seedubya
01-18-2009, 01:39 AM
Have a look at this thread. Should do what you need.

http://www.technibble.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4365

Jory
01-18-2009, 03:09 AM
I forgot to ask if you know the CD-ROM works for sure. Maybe it's trying to boot to a CD and failing so it goes to the next device.

l337
01-18-2009, 10:46 PM
i agree it definatly sounds like the cd drive might be damaged and skiping straight to the floppy. and it is possible to move a hdd from one pc to another with os already on it but after moving a drive u needa repair the os (most cases unless mobo chipsets are very similar) which requires u too boot a cd anyways

veedar
01-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Some old PC's will just not boot from CD. A workaround is to create a SmartBootManager boot floppy disk. When you boot from this floppy you will see a menu of bootable devices. And you can then select to boot from CD.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4185