PDA

View Full Version : How long do you warranty your work?

Pedernales PC
01-11-2009, 11:11 PM
A few months ago I gained a new customer. They came to me with a Vista notebook that wouldn't boot. I recovered data and suggested a reinstall (customer had had recurring problems for several months).

Now, two months later, the complaint is that the system is running slow again and that I am some how at fault because it won't stay running like a brand new machine or a new install.

What do you all do with these kinds of situations?

01-11-2009, 11:32 PM
We offer a 90-day warranty for in-shop repairs, for problems related to the original repair. Software is not (and should not be) warranted.

What I would do in that situation is offer to look at the system again. If the part I installed is bad, I'd replace it. If it's a similar problem and another part is found to be bad after a thorough hardware scan, the customer is responsible for the cost of the new part.
If it's found to be running slow because of viruses, spyware, junk software, the customer is responsible for paying my diag/repair fee again.

You don't post enough for me to have an idea on your repair procedure, but if you didn't run any kind of hardware diagnostics on the system (specifically the hard drive), you owe them that. If you did, and nothing failed, maybe it was doing well enough to pass diagnositcs but is still on the way out.

Pedernales PC
01-11-2009, 11:55 PM
We offer a 90-day warranty for in-shop repairs, for problems related to the original repair. Software is not (and should not be) warranted.

What I would do in that situation is offer to look at the system again. If the part I installed is bad, I'd replace it. If it's a similar problem and another part is found to be bad after a thorough hardware scan, the customer is responsible for the cost of the new part.
If it's found to be running slow because of viruses, spyware, junk software, the customer is responsible for paying my diag/repair fee again.

You don't post enough for me to have an idea on your repair procedure, but if you didn't run any kind of hardware diagnostics on the system (specifically the hard drive), you owe them that. If you did, and nothing failed, maybe it was doing well enough to pass diagnositcs but is still on the way out.

I ran diagnostics on memory and hdd. Both passed.

My thought is that there is malware at the root of the problem.

vr6rafal
01-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Its most likely a virus and should not be covered under any warranty. Even if the hardware is bad, you did not cause it to fail, you fixed their computer, that wouldn't start, unless they came back next day to you, saying its not working again, after two months, it should not be covered.

rvdsabu4life
01-12-2009, 06:16 PM
30 Days unless it is something I recommended they do to prevent the problem from reoccurring. If that is the case, I will give them a small discount for the service.