PDA

View Full Version : Good car for PC Tech?

01-07-2009, 03:49 AM
This isn't really a computer topic, so it's general chat!

I'm looking at getting a new car (or new to me, I guess :D ). Right now I'm thinking of getting a Mini Cooper. I like that it's a small hatchback, but still has enough storage if I need it. I was considering a Prius but after really looking at them, I don't think I'd like the car as much as I originally thought.
If you were in the market for a car, that's used primarily for work, what would you be looking at? Any specific suggestions?

Y.F.N.C.G.
01-07-2009, 03:58 AM
Some states offer a tex rebate if you drive a prius, so I'd look into that again. I used to like PT Cruisers as a good car to use for repair jobs, they're unique and eye catching, have good gas mileage, and had plenty of storage space...but for some reason I haven't seen them around lately, do they still make them? Otherwise a mini-cooper sould like a good one.

01-07-2009, 04:12 AM
Some states offer a tex rebate if you drive a prius, so I'd look into that again.

I know there was a federal tax rebate for a new Prius. I can't find any information about a current rebate, but I admit I didn't look very hard. I know there are sound money based reasons to buy a hybrid, so I might look into that a little more, but I'm leaning away from it.

As for the PT Cruiser; That might be an option. I'm really going for smaller, but I didn't realize how inexpensive they were! I thought that they were two or three times what they actually cost!

gunslinger
01-07-2009, 04:51 AM
Not a real gas saver but I drive a Lincoln LS.

Don
01-07-2009, 07:26 AM
Honda Civics are great, they get excellent gas mileage and run forever if you service them regularly. They also have a high resale value. :)
I'm on my second Honda Civic EX:
-sold first one after driving it for 2 years for almost the same price I paid for it ('94 Civic EX)
-currently drive ('06 Civic EX) and love it

Alternatively, there are a lot of "buy one get one free" deals going on if you want an American car but from my experience it seems like you need 2 to keep 1 running. :rolleyes:

darren1270
01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Not a real gas saver but I drive a Lincoln LS.

Same here... I drive a Dodge Durango... lol :D

gunslinger
01-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Same here... I drive a Dodge Durango... lol :D

I get like 19 MPG how about you?

stevenamills
01-07-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm pleased with my Nissan Versa.

Good gas mileage - surprising room - available as a hatchback. (and.... I like a stick - not many available).

cmonova
01-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I like the mini-cooper myself but not too sure if it would be good for work. Alot of things to haul around and kind of small. Could see it being a bit of a problem for some jobs.

I use a Toyota Matrix...Alot of room and good on gas. Had a Chevy HHR and it was great but rear-ended and totaled and they did not have another in stock. Plus, the new ones have the old style like a box side...I look at it for advertising space..

Bullfighter
01-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I have to agree, the Toyota Matrix has the best mileage for its class and it just seems well built. I was just about to buy one when the economy starting acting up, so I"m waiting.

As for the PT Cruiser, the handling is really bad and the turning radius is even worse... I don't recommend them.

EP

cmonova
01-07-2009, 03:18 PM
I forgot to mention I had the PT cruiser before the HHR. Never again with the PT Crusier. Did not seem well built, always sounded like a wind tunnel. Was much more happier with the HHR.

01-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Never again with the PT Crusier.

Yeah, after reading opinions, and really considering that I don't like the look of the car, I'm definitely not going with a PT Cruiser. The price is tempting, but there's obviously a reason for that.

The bigger cargo space of the cruiser, the matrix, etc IS nice, but I don't expect to need that much room. I'm driving a Cavalier right now (junk!) and only really end up hauling a few systems at a time for jobs. If I were to have a bigger job, I have another vehicle available, but it's not my primary every day car.

I guess, like everyone, my biggest requirement is reliability. My Cavalier is ten years old, and while I keep it very well maintained, I probably have replaced the entire car one part at a time, already.. :D

jhoppe
01-13-2009, 11:50 PM
I haven't gotten laughed at by any clients yet, infact, my limo client likes talking to me about these cars as this is all they purchased in the 80's and early 90's.

1990 Cadillac Brougham, but Autumn Red or Maple Red, can't remember.

MUCH storage space, reliable, and a simple car to have to work on! A LOT less to maintain when compared to my Deville. BUT, it's only about 15MPG city...

http://www.dfwautoplex.com/userpics/Vehicle_18740_1.JPG

MHCG
01-14-2009, 01:52 AM
VW GTI here.

bigdippin
01-14-2009, 02:25 AM
I drive my 2008 Mustang GT. Gets alot of compliments from customers. If by chance I need more room, I'll drive my Bronco.

RyanMeray
01-14-2009, 05:42 PM
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan.

My last van had a nice vinyl decal on the backside, but I decided that the free advertising created by my previous decal had only lead to one quality lead, and I had to drive like a perfect gentleman at all times.

A little anonymity can be useful sometimes.

nonchalant
01-15-2009, 07:56 PM
Have had a Calais V8 for some years now (handy for carting several PC's around and large boot space). Changes tomorrow when I fly interstate to pick up a HSV Clubsport (woot!)

For those non-Aussies here (to quote a review) - "Simply put, HSV is a tuning firm that takes the humble Commodore - a popular Australian-made large car - rips out its cardio vascular system, cuts off its legs, and then gives it a frontal lobotomy. It replaces the car's heart with an enhanced and even more powerful version, it grafts on bionic limbs that can bench more than double its own bodyweight, and it's brain is replaced with a sinister cybernetic artificial intelligence, one with a penchant for disturbing the peace. If, for example, you decided to do a 'test' and conduct full throttle application to each of the first three gears in the 6-speed vehicle, you would probably be sent straight to jail if spotted by the plod." :)

CDavis
01-19-2009, 06:48 PM
We have a Chevy Astro Cargo van with a ladder rack. It's serviced us well over the years. Plenty of storage. We keep 2 6' ladders in the back and a 16' extention in the ladder rack. We only service business and do cabling as well, so it suits us well. Plus plenty of side real estate for our company name.

lward1
01-20-2009, 01:39 AM
I have a 1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty V-10
Sucks on gas mileage, maybe sometime in the future I can get something more economical.

schwags
01-20-2009, 04:41 AM
2002 Mustang Convertible GT, some customers make comments (mostly positive). Only one negative so far that was "you must be getting paid too much...." Otherwise with the top down it makes it really easy to load and unload computers in the summer. Kinda like a pickup, only not at all.

JohnG
01-20-2009, 11:56 AM
'04 Dodge Stratus. Fuel mileage city/highway is roughly 22/30 mpg. Handling is very nice for a 4 door sedan if you enjoy driving(lots of curvy, mountainous terrain where I live), also has great styling imho.

TimeCode
02-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I like a stick
Ditto! I won't own an automatic until I have my Cadillac! I drive a Nissan Frontier. 6 Cylinder 20.5 MPG average.

MLCS
02-10-2009, 01:43 PM
I have a Dodge Intrepid. They're a lot like the Stratus, but a good deal larger, which is really good for me. I used to drive a GMC Jimmy, but the wife successfully rolled it in the canyon and totalled it, so it's just the Intrepid now. But with where I live in the mountains I pretty much "need" a V6 to get around, a 4 banger would kill itself quickly.

TimeCode
02-11-2009, 02:36 PM
but the wife successfully rolled it in the canyon and totalled it,

That both rocks and sucks! Of course it sucks because you're out a vehicle and $$$. The fact that YOUR WIFE rolled it in a canyon, that means she was doing some heavy driving and as long as everyone is safe :eek: , that's cool! :D

If my wife had a truck she would have rolled it by now. As it is, she drives a Subaru WRX Impreza up mountain roads like they are a closed race track. She's nuts but she really does know her car. :cool:

thor999
02-23-2009, 05:16 AM
'01 4-Runner (Toyota) A 4x4 SUV is a must in Minneapolis, you really need the weight. Around 19mpg isn't all that bad either.

bagellad
02-24-2009, 03:19 AM
i drive a 98 mazda protege, its not getting me any ladies but it gets me to the jobs. If I was making some good money I would probably get a Honda Element and make the back into a mobile office of some sort.

Daifne
02-27-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm using a 2006 Scion XB. It has a Toyota Corolla engine, so great mileage and has lots of room. Great for hauling computers around and easy to load up without straining my back. Love it.

hitch
02-27-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm currently driving a 00 civic si that I bought new. I always said I wanted to get 10 years out of my car and that date is aproaching. At first I thought that it would be good to have an element, but I think now I'd like to take the new 2010 insight out for a test drive to see how it performs. It looks sporty and would catch eyes I'm sure, so an ad might work well. The fact that its a hatch would lend itself to the tech related field, and with it being a hybrid at a rumored $18,000.00. Well to me thats about as good of an investment you can make in a car. One thing is for sure I will most certainly stick with Honda! My civic has been a very reliable car. I have done very little outside of regular maintenance.