PDA

View Full Version : Do You Get Discouraged

bigdippin
01-01-2009, 06:01 PM
I've officially been in business for 6 days. My only form of advertisement is from Craigslist. I have flyers ready to go out (putting them under windshield wiper) in mall, walmart, etc parking lots in the coming week. So I get on average 1.5 calls or emails per day from Craigslist. I've had 1 customer. The rest are getting price checks. Today a gentleman called to have 2 laptops fixed. Their DC jack was loose he said. So I quote him a price on 2 repairs and he says my prices are high. Do you ever get discouraged from this? Do you think maybe you should lower prices when this happens?

I'm happy with the calls I get from the craigslist ad. I would like to turn more into paying customers but I know most on the site go for the cheapest and Im certainly not it. I don't work for free. I guess I just want some feedback from the great members here that have experience in this.

Thanks

01-01-2009, 06:39 PM
If you're only 6 days into business, it's too early to be getting discouraged. Ground yourself a bit and realize that it's going to take time, and lots of it, to get established.

As for your prices, that really depends on your service, your competitors, and you. If you're providing better service, in a more professional manner, you can charge more than your competitors. If it's a trend, where lots of people mention that you're too high, maybe you should consider figuring out new rates. If it's just one guy, he's probably just a cheap-ass that wants to pay some kid $20.00 and a soda to fix his computer.

bigdippin
01-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the words. He seemed to just want the cheapest repair. I can understand that, but you get what you pay for. Maybe he will pay someone $20 to fix both laptops and call me back in a month to do it right. Once I advertise outside of craigslist, I will get customers that aren't just looking for the cheapest price.

Tiddle
01-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the words. He seemed to just want the cheapest repair. I can understand that, but you get what you pay for. Maybe he will pay someone $20 to fix both laptops and call me back in a month to do it right. Once I advertise outside of craigslist, I will get customers that aren't just looking for the cheapest price.

Most of the time people will just try to get you to lower your rate. When that happens to me, they end up calling me back in a week to the job anyway. If i know my prices are fair, i dont budge.
Plus the whole "hook ups" because friends and stuff wont get you far either. If my friends would rather pay someone else more just because they dont want to pay me what i charge bcuz i should charge them less...then i say theyre dumb. lol or maybe im just a cheap bastard?

anywho...Good Luck Hang In There.

We are both in the same Predicament.

MrMille
01-01-2009, 09:54 PM
What did you quote for two power jack jobs?

NYJimbo
01-01-2009, 10:04 PM
..... Once I advertise outside of craigslist, I will get customers that aren't just looking for the cheapest price.

You will ALWAYS gets customers looking for the cheapest price, no matter where you advertise. I have people who live right next to my shop who talk to me all the time who are always trying to get a "deal" on my pricing. Some actually send their friends in and tell them to "see if you can get a discount" because they know me.

The problem with this business is that everyone seems to know some "kid" who will do the job for very little money so why should they pay YOU a decent rate. I get them every week, just had one a couple days ago.
When business is slow you tend to take on these cheapskates and you usually regret it, but let's face it, you need the money.

Once you are in the business long enough you will know all the bad stuff and it won't bother you as much. For every X number of calls only a small percentage actually use you and those that do use you often will piss you off for some reason. It's not just this business, this happens to every kind of business.

Hang in there, build up a "thick skin", learn how to sell yourself and in time you will make good money and the idiots out there will not bother you as much.

Nathan H
01-01-2009, 11:07 PM
you will always get the cheap guy, who wants it for free.

When ever i feel low or question my prices, i rthink of this scenario.

A lawyer studies for 5 years then charges a few hundred pounds an hour.

I have studied for over 10 years gained lots of various qualifications so why shouldn't i charge what i am worth.

after all they are not paying me for pushing 3 buttons and fixing their PC thay are paying me because I knew which buttons to press.

Hang in there its very early days yet...

Tiddle
01-02-2009, 03:52 AM
after all they are not paying me for pushing 3 buttons and fixing their PC thay are paying me because I knew which buttons to press.

Hang in there its very early days yet...

Preaching To The choir

bigdippin
01-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Don't get discouraged just yet. IN fact, most will tell you it will take about 5 years to be steady, as in good paying jobs, every single day, and be a staple in your community, as the go to guy when something happens with their computers.

Perhaps you can post up your ad on craigslist, and your flier, as well as your hourly rate so we can analyze your situation, and provide hints/tips along the way?

Here is my craigslist ad.

David's Computer Repair
Address
phone #
davidcomputerrepair@gmail.com

David's Computer Repair offers the following services:

Hardware:
* Custom Built PCs - We provide custom builds for all price ranges. You pick the specs you want
* PC Upgrades - Upgrades are a cost effective way to speed up your computer
* Hardware Troubleshooting - Crashing/slow/freezing/non booting PC diagnostics
* PC Setup - Setup and demonstration of your new computer equipment
* Networking - Secured Wired and Wireless Network Installation and Troubleshooting
* Laptop Repair - Laptop Data Recovery, Memory Upgrade

Software PC/Laptop:
* Operating System Support - Windows 95/98/ME/2000/NT/XP/Vista Support
* Onsite Repair - Arrange for a hassle free visit to your home/office at a time convenient for you
* Data Recovery and Backup - Hard Drive/CD/DVD/USB/Memory Card Recovery & Backup Solutions
* Virus Removal - Detection and Removal of Virus, Spyware, Malware, Trojan, Worms, Spam, Keyloggers etc
* Internet Security - Internet, Email, Firewall, Modem and Router Troubleshooting

At David's Computer Repair, I offer quick turnaround, friendly service, competitive pricing, and free pickup. Drop offs are welcomed. So call David's Computer Repair today at (859) 743-6328 or email at davidcomputerrepair@gmail.com

I charge a flat rate on the different services except for on-site virus removal. That is charged by the hour.

bigdippin
01-02-2009, 09:03 AM
What did you quote for two power jack jobs?

I quoted him $75 per or $125 for both as it was a 2 laptop deal.

Simmy
01-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Here is my craigslist ad.

David's Computer Repair
Address
phone #
davidcomputerrepair@gmail.com

David's Computer Repair offers the following services:

Hardware:
* Custom Built PCs - We provide custom builds for all price ranges. You pick the specs you want
* PC Upgrades - Upgrades are a cost effective way to speed up your computer
* Hardware Troubleshooting - Crashing/slow/freezing/non booting PC diagnostics
* PC Setup - Setup and demonstration of your new computer equipment
* Networking - Secured Wired and Wireless Network Installation and Troubleshooting
* Laptop Repair - Laptop Data Recovery, Memory Upgrade

Software PC/Laptop:
* Operating System Support - Windows 95/98/ME/2000/NT/XP/Vista Support
* Onsite Repair - Arrange for a hassle free visit to your home/office at a time convenient for you
* Data Recovery and Backup - Hard Drive/CD/DVD/USB/Memory Card Recovery & Backup Solutions
* Virus Removal - Detection and Removal of Virus, Spyware, Malware, Trojan, Worms, Spam, Keyloggers etc
* Internet Security - Internet, Email, Firewall, Modem and Router Troubleshooting

At David's Computer Repair, I offer quick turnaround, friendly service, competitive pricing, and free pickup. Drop offs are welcomed. So call David's Computer Repair today at (859) 743-6328 or email at davidcomputerrepair@gmail.com

I charge a flat rate on the different services except for on-site virus removal. That is charged by the hour.

Wait, is that from my website? :p

$75 for 1 DC Jack repair is very good value. I charge 70 + parts and that's considered cheap around here (not many people do laptop repair in Bristol UK apparantly). Ignore the cheapskate - he sounds more trouble than he's worth.

bigdippin
01-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Wait, is that from my website? :p

$75 for 1 DC Jack repair is very good value. I charge 70 + parts and that's considered cheap around here (not many people do laptop repair in Bristol UK apparantly). Ignore the cheapskate - he sounds more trouble than he's worth.

No it ain't from your website. Well I don't think it is. I got ideas from here on the layout and I just listed my services. And I change it up each time I post it on craigslist. Just change the format a bit.

I agree about the price. I didn't think it was bad. And there isn't many people that do the jack repair in my area either.

Simmy
01-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Link (http://www.bristolcomputerrepair.co.uk/bristol-computer-repair/computer-repair.php) - That's my services page :p

bigdippin
01-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Oops, maybe I did use your layout. Sorry about that. I'll give you 10% of all my paid business, haha.

NYJimbo
01-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Oops, maybe I did use your layout.

Yeah, just maybe. ;)

arrow_runner
01-02-2009, 02:01 PM
They say it's expensive because there's a couple people on Cincinnati Craigslist advertising jack work for $40,$50, and $60 dollars... which is stupid imho....

bigdippin
01-02-2009, 02:22 PM
They say it's expensive because there's a couple people on Cincinnati Craigslist advertising jack work for $40,$50, and $60 dollars... which is stupid imho....

I agree. Let them go to those people and when its not done right, then I guess they might just call me back. I thought alot about my business last night and I'm not changing my prices. If someone doesn't want to pay for my service, thats ok. Someone else will. I just have to keep getting my name out there and more people will know about me, from adverts and word of mouth.

TimeCode
01-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Don't change your prices or get discouraged. Your prices aren't bad. I think your advertising medium is the problem. CraigsList is the default website for people who want something for nothing. If you copy and paste the HTML in and don't do any edits within CL, it can be good for SEO but if you do the editing within CL, they put in No Follow tags so the SEO value is greatly diminished. And everyone there is just plain cheap. If I were you, I would find another avenue to do your real advertising.

bigdippin
01-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Don't change your prices or get discouraged. Your prices aren't bad. I think your advertising medium is the problem. CraigsList is the default website for people who want something for nothing. If you copy and paste the HTML in and don't do any edits within CL, it can be good for SEO but if you do the editing within CL, they put in No Follow tags so the SEO value is greatly diminished. And everyone there is just plain cheap. If I were you, I would find another avenue to do your real advertising.

Thanks,

I am dropping flyers this weekend and will probably order some bandit signs to put out where I'm allowed to by law. Oh, and when I post on CL I don't use HTML. I just type it out normally. Will it help that much using HTML for SEO

usacvlr
01-02-2009, 06:26 PM
I would say you're getting interest so that's a good thing :) Craigslist surprisingly works even though it's so ugly.

We charge 74.95 for all power jack repairs online excluding Thinkpad and Sony Our in store prices however are 99.95 flat

frostbyte5014
01-02-2009, 07:31 PM
I have learned from experience that you get the kind of customers you want by the way you advertise. I know it's hard when you're just starting out, but I personally would not advertise on windshields or anywhere near a Wal-Mart. You don't want all of you first new customers to be deadbeats, that will really get you discouraged fast.

I don't know what you can spend on advertising, but I would try the local paper, see if the have a service page or church page. Usually it will only cost a few bucks a week. Try to advertise in the weekend paper, because that will get you the most visibility.

I think you prices for the laptop repair was very good. I would have charged twice that (just because it is so time consuming). Don't take any jobs that seem like you are loosing money. It's hard to say no at first but it gets easier as you go.

Good luck!

P.S. Try to be original. Getting ideas from others is great, but try not to copy their hard work.:)

thor999
01-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Don't feel bad, bro; I have distributed over 500 fliers to date, as well as maintained a Craigslist ad and handed out well over 200 business cards, and have had only 1 call in the last three months. This is just south of Minneapolis, not the sticks. If you get one call every other day then you are doing pretty good!

Tiddle
01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Don't feel bad, bro; I have distributed over 500 fliers to date, as well as maintained a Craigslist ad and handed out well over 200 business cards, and have had only 1 call in the last three months. This is just south of Minneapolis, not the sticks. If you get one call every other day then you are doing pretty good!

Ive been using all my Myspace contacts...and its been going pretty well.

Myspace addicts pay as long as u get them back online asap. Trust.

bigdippin
01-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Ive been using all my Myspace contacts...and its been going pretty well.

Myspace addicts pay as long as u get them back online asap. Trust.

Thats a great idea. I posted a blog about my business when I first started it but maybe I should post a bulletin.

Tiddle
01-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Yah just go look for people in ur zip code u can even limit them by how far they are from you and start adding away. Dont go off advertising right off the bat thou when adding them. I know i ignore ads and deny requests..and half will deny you but the other half can be potential customers. It can be time consuming sometimes but i mean if thats what it takes you know...

frostbyte5014
01-03-2009, 02:41 AM
:eek:That's the most messed up and useless pay scale report I have ever seen. You're better off guessing. I'm sure there are some more reliable reports out there.:)

darthpickle
01-03-2009, 05:36 AM
I am amazed that someone on Craigslist hasn't flagged your ad for some reason. Heck, anytime I have ever tried to list my services on Craigslist, it gets flagged by another user for no "real" reason, and no explanation. Since Craigslist allows its users to take down other people's listings, there is nothing I can do about it. :mad:

Tiddle
01-03-2009, 08:28 PM
I am amazed that someone on Craigslist hasn't flagged your ad for some reason. Heck, anytime I have ever tried to list my services on Craigslist, it gets flagged by another user for no "real" reason, and no explanation. Since Craigslist allows its users to take down other people's listings, there is nothing I can do about it. :mad:

haters! thats why

Ive been trying to sell a projector for the longest. ppl will msg me saying their interested...to take it down...and then they never respond. its other sellers trying to be the only ones with stuff up.

bigdippin
01-03-2009, 09:47 PM
Wow, my little post has generated 30 replies. Thanks to everyone who offered input.

Now onto the craigslist thing. It is rediculous how many people to to bring others down.

frostbyte5014
01-04-2009, 06:54 AM
I tried to search, despite my best efforts I was unable to obtain one. Do you have any other information? Perhaps my search criteria was not the best.

I don't know of any good ones. I know it can be very expensive to get accurate data. I was only stating that this one was of no value to anyone. I think it would be great to have this info on Technibble forums.

If anyone has this info or how we could get it, it would be a very valuable tool.

:)

TimeCode
01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes, we still occasionally throw up and ad or two, but only for the SEO benefits. Maybe it's just my Area (NY) but I can't imagine it being night and day anywhere else.
Ditto. I have intentionally priced myself out of the range of the CL crowd and my business is not suffering for it. I just remoted in to a server and I've postponed 3 jobs today because I'm sick. My clients have the money to spend so I'm still in business. :)

bigdippin
01-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Ditto. I have intentionally priced myself out of the range of the CL crowd and my business is not suffering for it. I just remoted in to a server and I've postponed 3 jobs today because I'm sick. My clients have the money to spend so I'm still in business. :)

That sounds good TimeCode, I hope one day I can get there. Its slow going. The rain doesn't help my advertising any. Its hard to do flyer drops when its pouring rain.

cmonova
01-06-2009, 02:19 AM
Wow, my little post has generated 30 replies. Thanks to everyone who offered input.

Now onto the craigslist thing. It is rediculous how many people to to bring others down.

Not going to bring down others with Craigslist. My rates are "high", I advertise on Craigslist daily and I get jobs. I look at it this way. Say there are 10 ads on Craigslist, most consumers are not going to just call one ad they see. So the difference is how is that person treated when they call.

I've called some of the competitors and am amazed if they get any work. I have got residential customers thru Craigslist, and I have gotten large network installs from Craigslist.

It's a free means to adversite why not use it. You don't have to adjust your prices for it. If people don't want to pay your rates then they can look elsewhere.

bigdippin
01-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Just to give alittle update, I got 2 calls yesterday for service. One was close to me that I would pick up and the other was in Ohio and they were bringing their laptop to my shop. I'm sitting here now working on both. On the one from Ohio, he has the antivirus 2009. Thats what he told me but I'm finding alot. Both jobs came from craigslist.

Reset
01-09-2009, 03:54 AM
That's good man just keep your head up and stick with it. I have to compete with college students doing any computer service for 20 bucks. Which has killed any business i get from CragisList but that's that and now from what i understand and what ive been watching on the news is some of the people that are doing this on cragislist are getting fined for not having a business license. But this is North Carolina we have some harsh laws with doing business in the city limits especially in residential areas because of liability problems and zoning laws which can be another issue in its own nutshell.

bigdippin
01-09-2009, 04:41 AM
That's good man just keep your head up and stick with it. I have to compete with college students doing any computer service for 20 bucks. Which has killed any business i get from CragisList but that's that and now from what i understand and what ive been watching on the news is some of the people that are doing this on cragislist are getting fined for not having a business license. But this is North Carolina we have some harsh laws with doing business in the city limits especially in residential areas because of liability problems and zoning laws which can be another issue in its own nutshell.

Thanks,

There are alot of people posting to do service for $20 or $30 dollars. Its ok. I don't want the people that pay that as a customer anyway. I've been reading alot here and am believing that I'm worth more. I've been brain washed. haha