PDA

View Full Version : AV 2009 and the others

WareDat
12-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Just curious if anyone has ever ran into a customer that actually payed for this scumware? After all this is the main goal right?

12-30-2008, 02:41 PM
I've had a few people that said they paid for it. The ones that reported back said that their credit card companies reversed the charges fairly quickly.

nonchalant
12-31-2008, 12:40 AM
Ive had a customer tell me he paid for it.

I guess the main goal of the scammers is they put this software on 1000 machines & 2 buy. Thats $60. Times that by 100,000 machines and you see the money that can be made. Same principal applies to the 'rich relative' email scam and any other internet scam for that matter..

WareDat
12-31-2008, 04:59 PM
Did it actually provide them with any value, like stopping the bull crap from AV 2009, or did it just reward them by installing Spyware Guard?

RyanMeray
01-01-2009, 03:12 AM
After you pay for these things, they leave your computer as non-functional as they were before. Sometimes worse.

I've had exactly ONE customer admit to paying for it. I wouldn't doubt it if many more actually had, but were too ashamed to admit it.

Which they shouldn't be, because they are just one of thousands falling for it.

mjl0889
01-15-2009, 04:45 PM
I've had quite a few customers say that they've paid for it, and one even said he payed 4 times?! its amazing what some people fall for and how willing they are to whip out theyre credit card.

TechGuy71
01-16-2009, 04:22 PM
I had a customer just last night that thought it was MY fault that she was getting all those popups. I had her laptop in recently and installed SUPERAntiSpyware. She left me a message saying that this 'thing' I installed keeps popping up all over and wont let her do anything. I called her back and asked her if the windows that were popping up said AntiVirus2009 and she said YES. And of course she said she hasn't done anything on the computer (why do they always say that).. well except be on MSN. I said "really?!" She said yah, and check my email. LOL. So I proceeded to ask her if she had clicked on any attachments in her email, and of course she said that she did. {sigh}

Anyway, I have used Malwarebytes to remove AV2009, but I am concerned that it got through SUPERAntiSpyware. That, or they had it disabled for some reason.

seedubya
01-16-2009, 04:39 PM
I didn't think the free version of SAS did live monitoring. If I'm right that might explain it.

Fireddog
01-23-2009, 12:02 PM
This is where so many tech shops fail because they want to be cheap and easy.. Super antispyware and other freebies like this will not do live monitoring.

I would suggest mastering comodo firewall pro as an option for your customers.
and Threatfire with that is an excellent combination.

But Slapping Super anti-spyware and calling it a day is a big mistake.

acs
01-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Had a customer at the weekend that had paid twice to download it.

jaydude23
01-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I didn't think the free version of SAS did live monitoring. If I'm right that might explain it.

You are correct. If you try and click the real time protection, it will prompt you to upgrade to pro version.