PDA

View Full Version : Custom Laptops?

rvdsabu4life
12-10-2008, 11:59 AM
I am not quite sure which category this would fit into. So I will post it here.

What companies are out there that offer just notebook shells? I want to market custom laptops. Also I want to have something that can be warrantied for more then a year.

Thanks!

Andyuk2007
12-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I am not quite sure which category this would fit into. So I will post it here.

What companies are out there that offer just notebook shells? I want to market custom laptops. Also I want to have something that can be warrantied for more then a year.

Thanks!

If you just want the empty shells then perhaps try ebay as it could be considered a spare part.

rvdsabu4life
12-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Well I guess I am looking for like barebones notebooks. I want to add RAM, CPU, Hard drive, cd drive. I expect the motherboard and screen to be preinstalled

gunslinger
12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
I guess it will depend on the market you trying to appeal to but I don't see much profit to be made here. This is why:

Unless you can order in bulk (thousands of units at a time) It will be hard to keep your cost down low enough to make any real profit and compete with other larger custom laptop makers.

Also these days you can get a pretty good notebook from places like Wal-mart for around $350.

I just don't see a real market for it.

Skyhooker
12-10-2008, 01:29 PM
I think what he's asking is whether there's a company that manufactures bare-bones laptops, to be customized by the user - as far as I know, there isn't. I agree with gunslinger - it would not be an economically viable venture to make them, so it's unlikely any company will try.

Blues
12-10-2008, 01:50 PM
MSI manufactures Barebones laptops but good luck finding place to order them from. I know some other people do just forget who maybe Gigabyte maybe ASUS but all are somewhat difficult to come by.

rvdsabu4life
12-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey thanks for the feedback. I guess I will wait to do this until mid next year. Thanks!

usacvlr
12-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Not worth the support nightmare. Personally I don't sell any retail items. I sell parts upgrades and replacements but not off the shelf retail products. Not worth the support, inventory, returns and warranty issues. I stick to pure servicing.

lward1
12-10-2008, 09:21 PM
I've seen a few "Bare Bone" laptops at www.Tigerdirect.com I think they were OCZ.

Skyhooker
12-10-2008, 09:35 PM
I guess I spoke too soon about no bare-bones laptops out there - I'm learning stuff all the time.

Jory
12-11-2008, 12:21 AM
A while ago I investigated doing this, but all the options were way too expensive. The cheapest company I found was still way more expensive than buying retail.

You're much better off reselling major OEM systems.

Blues
12-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Just an update Newegg is now selling some barebones notebooks but only OZC brand and most are not lookin cheap but they do have some nice options for any customers needs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&SubCategory=773&N=2000030773&SpeTabStoreType=0

ICEinLAVA
12-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Asus and MSI also have barebones notebooks. They are probable going to have the biggest market in the barebones or whitebook section. But the issues is that your paying for the the bare bones and you still need to put a hard drive, memory, a cpu, and possible a graphics card. at that point your dumping a bunch of money into the product and there won't be much if any profit left.

Most notebook manufacturers design and make their own notebooks. very few manufacturers have purchased barebones and resold them. but the amount of volume you would have to do is going to high. I have also found that some barebones notebooks are not quite as durable as the manufacturer designed systems.

I consider barebones notebooks or whitebooks to be a complete enthusiast concept for most builders. you might be able to impress a lot of people by telling them you built your own laptop when they ask. but as far as i see it, they are just overpriced legos.

zchehi
12-27-2008, 07:05 AM
A notebook shell would be a waste of time because the major manufactures have them built by design from 2 major suppliers in Asia thatís gateway and dell and many others, you will not get a deal unless you have some serious financing involved like millions, these systems are designed and tested to pass ul certification for the states. And the bare bones systems are just something for the enthusiast out there by the time you are finished building it the price will not be competitive.:)