PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario 5000

Goob
08-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Anyone know how easily a compaq presario 5000 (5wv390) will upgrade from Windows ME to Windows XP? I have all the new updated drivers, but am still a lil hesitant and just wanna know if anyone has tried to do this, or know of anyone who has

Bryce W
08-22-2006, 04:29 AM
I just looked at the driver page for it on the offical Compaq site Here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=93984&os=228#).

Because they have a complete set of XP drivers I would assume that it would run XP fine. I recommend a full install of XP however instead of a ME to XP upgrade though is it would be less likely to run into problems.

Typically the main problems with installing XP on old hardware is not-so-standard hardware in the machine such as SCSI based CDRoms, you will have to load the drivers for this BEFORE the XP setup. Service Pack 2 can upset some hardware such as not detect the USB plugs on the motherboard. The only workaround I know for this is installing a PCI USB extention card, luckily these are cheap at $15 - $20.

Goob
09-03-2006, 04:46 AM
Just to let all know, I recently did a upgrade install over the existing windows ME without any problems what so ever. It even fixed up a few things by itself, which was a big surprise.

Bryce W
09-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Cool. Were the Drivers mostly autodetected (as in built stock into XP as alot of old hardware is) or did you have to use the drivers from the offical site?

Goob
09-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Yeh, all except for their scanner, which I just needed the new Twain drivers for. But other than that, no problems at all