PDA

View Full Version : Hope for Vista haters?

seedubya
12-08-2008, 10:58 AM
It's like this,

I've had Vista running on an XPS 720 (Q6600, 4Gb, 8800GTX 768Mb etc.) for about a year or so. It was crap, I mean really crap, it was so slow it was practically unusable. I'd given up on it completely after about six weeks and only booted it when I needed to check some Vista thing for a client.

This weekend I decided to wipe and reload, XP, Vista and Ubuntu on the same computer as before. Different partitioning scheme is all, really.

So I started off with Vista and decided that I'd get it running first as it's boot manager is will recognise XP but not visa versa. I installed it and allowed it to completely update before installing anything else. I update to the latest versions of all my drivers.

WOW!! What a difference. I'm mean its Really F**kin' Fast. I can't get over it. It's like a different OS. All my software is now installed - and Zero problems.

Now don't think I'm letting Vista off the hook, I'm not, but now I have to say that it is possible for Vista to run well. Of course, this is a fresh install and we'll see how it goes, but in general, I'm very pleasantly surprised.

Simmy
12-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Were you running Vista pre SP1 when you got the machine and is it 32bit of 64bit? SP1 + Updates have made a massive difference. I haven't noticed Vista slowing down over time either, unlike with XP :)

gunslinger
12-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I would like to know what changes you made as well. If I could do what ever you did to every slow buggy Vista machine that rolls into the shop it would be great.

As for XP slowing down over time, this has never been my experience in over seven years of use. Vista on the other hand , the more programs I installed and the more I used it the worse it got until it died.

seedubya
12-08-2008, 12:43 PM
@Simmy - 32 bit, w/o SP1

I had not installed SP1 on my last Vista installation simply because I wasn't really using it and the reviews it got were v. negative initially, so I never bothered. I was booting Vista maybe once a fortnight so I just didn't care. On top of that, I've very little Vista exposure through my customers either since the vast majority of them are business on client server setups and still able to buy XP via the major OEMs. Any Vista exposure I have had is when it's been giving problems - probably not good for forming a balanced opinion:rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm getting some games for Christmas (39 yy and still gaming:cool:) and I decided they'd run better on a fresh install of XP.

So far I haven't bothered finishing the XP install I've been having too much fun with Vista.

All I did differently was a clean Vista install, then install all available updates and then install all available manufacturers driver updates. Then install my software (latest versions where available). Obviously my rig is a pretty OK spec. too. I've currently got 45 processes running when idle. I haven't even tried tweaking anything yet or doing any benchmarks but I will if anyone can recommend what ones to do or what they'd like to see.

@Gunslinger - I've seen you was lyrical about how crap Vista is and I've agreed with you every time so it's not like I was coming at this with an open mind:rolleyes: I just can't believe it's running so well.

One other thing - no matter how well this is working for me at the moment - Vista on a low spec system without enough RAM and a dedicated graphics card (and probably running Norton) is going to be a dog regardless.

gunslinger
12-08-2008, 01:32 PM
@Gunslinger - I've seen you was lyrical about how crap Vista is and I've agreed with you every time so it's not like I was coming at this with an open mind I just can't believe it's running so well.

This is true. My open-mindedness went out the window after almost a year of trying to make it work even half as good as XP. I pretty much just started looking for Windows 7.

I would like to see you install 20-30 programs on it, then use it every day for maybe two or three months, then give us an update. No tweaking, no disabling of services to make it faster ect.

One other thing - no matter how well this is working for me at the moment - Vista on a low spec system without enough RAM and a dedicated graphics card (and probably running Norton) is going to be a dog regardless.

I agree. I'll also go one step more and say any OS can be made to look fast given enough CPU speed and RAM.

I guess only time will tell.

Romaniac
12-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. I will upgrade my PC soon, and I realized I had the 32bit XP which can bottleneck the ram.

I was thinking about Vista - but it seemed it's not quite there yet, even with update. Did some reading, gaming benchmarks and decided to go with the 64bit XP...for now.

Updates on the progress and any news on your experience would be appreciated.

JRDtechnet
12-09-2008, 02:21 AM
^^IMO you made a mistake going with XP 64-bit, theres not a lot of support for that and I don't think there ever will be now that vista is out. I'm running vista 64 ultimate and its rock solid and fast. THe problem with vista gaming was the video drivers for ati and nvidia not so much the the OS, this was solved fairly quickly, even before sp1 was released.

JRDtechnet
12-09-2008, 02:28 AM
I've currently got 45 processes running when idle.

I've got 77 processes lol

seedubya
12-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I tend to be fairly fastidious about what I allow to run. The only third party app. that runs in the background, currently, is Vipre.

ithinkyou5.0
12-10-2008, 12:15 PM
im currently using vista x64 and am loving it. i turned off all the aero crap as for me it got annoying really quickly. i was origionaly expecting a massive performance hit in game but that never came. games where running about the same as they had in xp x86 and ive had no real issues

Pc Fixed Right
12-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Vista generally runs great for machines that are made for vista and not for machines that are "ready for vista". I currently have vista ultimate and it runs like a goddamn champion but I find I use windows xp 32 bit more frquently than Vista.