PDA

View Full Version : Installing in-wall ethernet

dicklaw18
12-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Hello everyone. Were redoing the upstairs of the house we just bought and i want to install cat6 ethernet wiring in the wall going to all the rooms. I would have all the cables coming from a central point on the same floor, and were also getting fios installed. My probem is what is the best way to connect the in wall ethernet to the internet, as well as having a wireless router conected to the network also. Thanks!

S3NTYN3L
12-07-2008, 02:23 AM
Hopefully, that central point you speak of is in a closet or something and also has a phone or cable jack nearby for the internet access...

Well, you'd do this the normal way...
With a modem, routers and switches...

ETA:
http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/index.html

RyanMeray
12-07-2008, 03:58 AM
Are you asking how to install the ports in your walls? Or how to run the cables through the walls? I'm a little unclear on what your question is.

seedubya
12-07-2008, 11:48 AM
You need all your cables returning to a central point where you will connect them to a patch panel. You will also need your dsl/cable/whatever internet terminating in the same area. then simply hook everything you need together using a switch and the appropriate kind of router.

dicklaw18
12-10-2008, 01:54 PM
my question was more what equipment would i need and how would the order go to set it up.For ex. all the wires from the rooms connect to a switch, then a router is conected to that and where would the internet line connect? like what is the correct way to set up all of the equip.?

seedubya
12-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I have done a (really crappy) network diagram for you which is attached.

Andyuk2007
01-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Have you tried using ethernet plugs ? they are a new thing that has come out. for further info read here http://www.reestitmutton.co.uk/blog/articles/advent%20calendar/1003

schwags
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
seedubya, that's an awesome diagram, I would only add one thing since I think disklaw18 is confused about the modem placement.

Between the amorphous internet cloud and the router, there should be a modem. It is usually supplied by the ISP, but can be purchased separately. your fios goes into one jack on the modem (usually marked), and it's job is to convert that signal to a standard Ethernet signal (another marked jack).

Then patch the modem into the uplink port on the router. I usually put the router directly after the modem, as most residential type routers have built-in wireless and a rudimentary firewall.

After the router, connect one port on the router to the uplink port on the switch. (only if applicable, some switches don't have a dedicated uplink port). Use the switch to handle all the traffic from the different jacks in the house as the switch will most likely be capable of Gigabit speeds, you wouldn't want to throttle your local connections by sending them through a Mbit router. Don't worry about the internet signal, there is no way the router will be too slow for that, even with fios.

Hope this helped.