PDA

View Full Version : Investments!

bagellad
12-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Is anyone else interested in Investments? I just opened an online brokerage account, i have also owned a few mutual funds over the years. Maybe at the moment its not the best time to discuss investments with the economy and everything, but hey atleast they are cheap. Do you guys ever think about retirement?

seedubya
12-06-2008, 04:47 PM
I've never played the markets although I'd be interested in learning about it. You're right about stocks being cheap. Now may be the best possible time to invest some money IF you manage to invest in the right stocks. As far a retirement goes, I've got a farm and some forestry to retire on. I don't have a pension - it always seemed like a bad investment. You pay in an awful lot of money over a very extended period for a poor enough return. Looks like many pension funds may be banjaxed now anyway.

MrMille
12-06-2008, 05:31 PM
You speak the truth

Jory
12-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I don't know anything about investing, but to me the whole stock market seems like an elaborate game that's rigged against you. There are just too many greedy people looking for a quick buck, and they are so much smarter than me at that kind of stuff.

Everything I've read basically said low fee index funds are the way to go if you're talking about 10-30 year investments. It's a relatively safe bet to say the stock market will be higher in that amount of time.

I prefer my low yield investments in canned food and ammo though. ;)

Jura
12-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Now may be the best possible time to invest some money IF you manage to invest in the right stocks.
I'd wait for them to spiral down just a bit more.

Graystar
12-08-2008, 08:15 AM
I have been an active trader for many years now. If you are new to the business of investing and you have some money to invest that is not needed for 5 plus years, this is a great time to get started!
I would recommend buying Index funds QQQQ is my favorite.
The QQQQ Trust holds all of the component securities of the top 100 Nasdaq Companies. This is how you can spread your investment dollar over all 100 companies.
If one goes belly up it will not wipe you out as if you owned stock in a single company.

There are no fees associated with owning this index fund. Just the commission that your brokerage charges you to buy and sell.

Right now the QQQQ has dropped to 2003 prices and as we come out of this downturn it is generally the mid cap type of companies that are part of the NASDAQ 100 that bounce fastest.

Here is a link to read up on the the QQQQ
http://www.nasdaq.com/indexshares/nasdaq100.stm

Getting educated about your finances and your investments is really important.

Graystar

bagellad
12-13-2008, 05:07 PM
QQQQ looks interesting, I know my brother said he bought lots of Index funds since he has a "40" year time window before he needs to redeem them or so. I am putting my little amount of money in Electronic Arts because I feel like KOTOR online will finally be the WoW Rival (Killer isn't realistic) that we have been looking for, plus lower sales forecasts for this year barely lowered the stock so I think most of the people who were going to sell have sold. Next year looks promising for them.

David34
12-15-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm still leary of the market. I think it has some more "going down" to do before I would think of investing money into it.

TimeCode
04-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Is anyone else interested in Investments? I just opened an online brokerage account, i have also owned a few mutual funds over the years. Maybe at the moment its not the best time to discuss investments with the economy and everything, but hey atleast they are cheap. Do you guys ever think about retirement?

I just got into the stock game a few weeks ago. I decided to put $200 per month into stocks. I started wanting to day-trade but I quickly realized that I don't have the ability to throw the kind of money at it that day-trading really takes. So I am sitting on some penny stocks (I've put in only $350) and right now I'm up about 20%. That's a whole lot better than the small percent that you get from a savings account.

rusty.nells
04-13-2009, 09:01 PM
I was at my bank's web site a few days ago and an ad appears for some sort of savings account (may have been CDs, i don't remember) with a whopping 1% APR. I thought to myself "hmmm...maybe I can retire in 200 years".

If anyone's interested, I can give you a link...just kidding.

Simmy
04-13-2009, 09:57 PM
I opened a Barclays stockbrokers account 4 or 5 weeks ago so I'm a complete n00b to it all. Back then was definitely the time to invest! And it still is a good time I think. My portfolio is ~1500 and although small it's still damn exciting :D

I've made 400 profit so far, which is alot more than I'd make if my money were just sitting in a bank at 0.5% or whatever it is at the moment. I'm hoping to put some more into Barclays and Lloyds in the next few weeks and just sit tight on them for a couple of years. I bought in when they were at 80pence and 46pence respectively and they've nearly doubled in just a few weeks.

I'm glad to see other people don't have pensions either.

Bullfighter
04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I just got into the stock game a few weeks ago. I decided to put $200 per month into stocks. I started wanting to day-trade but I quickly realized that I don't have the ability to throw the kind of money at it that day-trading really takes. So I am sitting on some penny stocks (I've put in only $350) and right now I'm up about 20%. That's a whole lot better than the small percent that you get from a savings account.

Hey Tim,

I'm thinking of doing the same thing... do you have any good sites for tips on what stocks to buy?

EP

TimeCode
04-14-2009, 12:30 AM
Hey Tim,

I'm thinking of doing the same thing... do you have any good sites for tips on what stocks to buy?

EP

Nope. Sorry. What I've done has been purely on hunches.

I've been going with companies that I know (Banks or Tech) and that's about it. CitiBank has been treating me well.

What I can offer is an Excel file to track your profits and losses. I'll edit up a version to pass around. I don't exactly want to pass my own info on. ;) I hope you understand. The file (with the help of an MSN add-on) even pulls down the most recent stock prices on its own. :) Easy charting.

Bullfighter
04-14-2009, 03:46 AM
Sweet, I'm looking forward to the spreadsheet!

EP

TimeCode
04-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Ok, here you go. You can find the excel file and the MSN Plugin zipped at http://www.bidenpc.com/Trading.zip. You'll have to install the plugin before you can download the most recent prices. If you're using MS Office 2007, I can tell you exactly how to use it. I don't know how it functions in earlier versions.

Ok... General breakdown of how the spreadsheet functions.

Oh heck, play around with it. Hit me up with any questions. Maybe this should become a new thread. Yeah, if you have questions, start a new thread and we can talk about it there. And check out http://twitter.com/StockTwits, http://www.onlinetradersforum.com/index.php, http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/home.aspx

cmonova
04-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Tim...You are right you can really throw some money around and lose it if you don't know what you are doing. Years ago when I lived in Japan I did day-trading for about a year. Worse yet was the time difference in Japan to the U.S. so basically no sleep at all. But this is about the time Red Hat etc was going public so there was alot of money to be made if you worked it exactly right.

Don't do the day trading anymore too time consuming. Good to get into stocks or even mutual funds if starting out. The big thing to remember is don't use money you can't afford to lose. If starting out alot of places that deal with mutual funds will even let you do like a direct deposit of $25 or $50 a month...

TimeCode
04-14-2009, 02:39 PM
The big thing to remember is don't use money you can't afford to lose. If starting out alot of places that deal with mutual funds will even let you do like a direct deposit of $25 or $50 a month...

You are SO right about that. I won't lose any sleep over losing the small amount of cash I throw at it, but I definitely don't want to lose it. :) I'm only throwing $200 a month (auto withdrawal) at it but right now my C (Citigroup) stock is going nuts! I wish I had thrown all my money at it. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20.