PDA

View Full Version : Quatum DXI disk backup / image unit

fooTunny
08-26-2012, 02:08 AM
My interest is now peaked on going forward with recommending disk backup to a client of mine, has anyone used the Quantum line of products to accomplish this? If not, any tried and trusted companies whom yall can recommend? Still not ready to give up on tape, as it has been, and continues to be a great protection service, but if I can work in disk to test, and who know, possibly replace, I can at least say it all started here :)

fooTunny

YeOldeStonecat
08-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Client has how many servers?
Client has how many gigs of data to back up. Both TOTAL of all partitions, as well as mentioning how much consumed space there is
What kind of data needs to be backed up?

Overall, not fond of Quantum. Hated their hard drives back in the day for horrible reliability (Quantum Bigfoot and Tsunami drives ring a bell to any old schoolers?)

For smaller to mid sized NAS units, prefer Synology. For ultra budget...take a peek at QNap.

But here's what I really prefer. Lets take a look at what current backup technology allows you do to. And see if tape technology offers anything close.

*Local backup appliance gets plugged into customers network onsite. Size/model if this unit is based on how many servers/how much data your client has.
*This local backup unit takes an initial complete backup of the server in VMDK file form..storing it on the NAS. Backups after that happen in inverse chain technology, only changed blocks are backed up...and a database is kept to tie all changes together so you can do a full restore from any backup time period.
*These backups done in VMDK file format can be "booted up" on the backup appliance..and run on the network if a server is down. Basically just turn in the network interface of the "guest"...within about 15 minutes, can be done remotely through a web browser.
*The local backup unit will "boot up" each backup image....take a screenshot of the login screen, and e-mail to you (and your clients if you wish)...so you see tests of the backup image each day...and know that it's working.
*If a server goes "BOOM"..and you turn to running the backup image off of the backup appliance for a few days until a new server arrives, the "restore to bare metal" feature is great. It will "probe" the new server..detect the make/model, go the manufacturers site for you..download the latest drivers, and "inject" those drivers into the backup image before it pushes that image to the new server hardware. Making for a quick and reliable bare metal restore.
*If you're just restore data from the backup image...like file(s) or folder(s)...it's very quickly done, even remotely, mount the image of the backup time stamp...and browse it via explorer...copy 'n paste. Literally can be done in minutes.
*This backup appliance will keep about 1 months worth of images locally.
*The backup appliance also synchs these images offsite. They send you a USB drive after you've made that initial first copy...it takes a copy, send it back to them..they mount it in your offsite storage space in their data centers, and it "seeds" your initial offsite backup. Now it's just a little bit of catching up of data that happens on their internet connection..and small amounts of changed data after that.."inverse chain technology"
*Data centers..one on the east coast of the US, one on the west coast of the US.
*Offsite backup...up to 365 days worth of backups are stored offsite (1 year).
*Say the clients building burns down or washes away in some flood. So their servers are gone, as is the local backup appliance. No problem...call up the guys in the data center (support is in New England, US...not overseas), and they will mount the clients servers backup images "in the cloud"..boot them up, and make them available to you/your client via RDP and/or VPN...so your client can get to their data. Soon as client has a new temp or permanent office built..they overnight a new local backup appliance to you/your client with the images on them...so now you're back in business. (or I would drive to them and pickup the appliance, so I'd be back in 1 day...since their office is in my state..just a few states north east of you).

If you want to know more about current technology products like this, send me a PM.

Traditional backup should no longer be the thought process in providing protection of your clients data. It's about disaster recovery now...or better yet, "business continuity". Most businesses can't function anymore if their server is down. 10 years ago many could squeek by, but no these days. Offer solutions that...at worst...they are without their server for a couple of hours at the most...not solutions that could equate to days or a week without their servers.

firststatepc
08-29-2012, 12:30 AM
I haven't used Synology for quite awhile but on your recommendation started looking back into them as a backup appliance and they certainly look like they have come a long way.