PDA

View Full Version : Professional or Average Joe

Blues
12-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I want use to cater to both but being a professional along with the rest I care more about our intrest. I think perhaps limit where you can ask for help and then under a certain post count can't create threads. This is to prevent people who just want to come and ask a question and leave. These people will ofcourse be allowed to reply to threads. My view is that we welcome any help and this has the small abuse window to say "Hey I have that problem too" and prevents those one time vistors just leaching on us.

Rider
12-04-2008, 09:57 PM
The biggest difference I have noticed between tech professionals and your typical end user is the professionals usually come back and tell you what the resolution was, the user typically just takes the answer and runs leaving everybody wondering.

I'm a firm believer in the saying "the only bad question is the question not asked." There are however some very poorly asked questions if that makes sense.

seedubya
12-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Blues, that sounds like an excellent idea. It might even stop my whining.

12-04-2008, 10:54 PM
I can't really think of a fair way to implement this.

The closest thing I could come up with is have a delay of 12-hours or whatever before you're allowed to post. That way anybody that's just looking for a quick answer will go somewhere else more tailored for tech support. People that actually have an interest in the topics of the forums will probably stick around long enough to use the account.

The other option I thought about was post count. Like five posts before you're allowed into the "pro" forums.
The problem I have with that is that there are plenty of people that read and don't post. It'd have to be a very low number, but high enough to make sure it's worth it.

Blues
12-05-2008, 02:01 PM
You pretty much hit the problems I was thinking of on implementation 14049752.

Bullfighter
12-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Great idea, Blues :)

geekhelp4u
12-05-2008, 03:03 PM
But then we run into the problem of some turkey turd posting stupid or irrelevant posts to get his count up - we will need a way to monitor these so we can ban the user, possibly even the IP address.

I like the idea - maybe we can talk to Bryce about adding some more moderators also! Perhaps if you have reached the 600 post mark and you are a known contributer - he can upgrade your privileges. I know 600 sounds high - I was even thinking 800 or more - but I believe that this would be a smart thing.

Bullfighter
12-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Maybe I'm just optimistic, but I think if we give "average joes" a place to post and get help, why would they create artificial posts to try and get into the techs area?

EP

Blues
12-05-2008, 07:30 PM
But then we run into the problem of some turkey turd posting stupid or irrelevant posts to get his count up - we will need a way to monitor these so we can ban the user, possibly even the IP address.

I like the idea - maybe we can talk to Bryce about adding some more moderators also! Perhaps if you have reached the 600 post mark and you are a known contributer - he can upgrade your privileges. I know 600 sounds high - I was even thinking 800 or more - but I believe that this would be a smart thing. *looks at his own post count* I like your idea :D

Simmy
12-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Maybe when a new member makes their first thread, it could be sent to a mod-only area for screening? If it's spam or noncoherent, then the thread is deleted and the member is told to try again (or banned if its spam). If their 2nd attempt is just as crap or they don't rewrite their question, then their account is suspended? If they really want help and only when they can provide a well structured question, will the thread be posted onto the public forums.

Stopping users from creating threads until they reach a certain post count might just promote more crap/spam. Or even worse, potentially put off a member who could have been very valuable to the community.

MrMille
12-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Slashdot ratings system.

Why reinvent the wheel guys?

12-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Slashdot ratings system.
Why reinvent the wheel guys?

Nobody's reinventing the wheel. Everything mentioned is a feature of vBulletin. I don't think the slashdot rating system is...

MrMille
12-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Everything mentioned will stymie the growth of the site,
which is good for nobody.

usacvlr
12-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Karma, ratings systems etc just hamper the flow of info.

MrMille
12-05-2008, 09:23 PM
go and take slashdot for a ride

Blues
12-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Im just saying what the issue is for us and asking what can we do to alleviate it. I understand that we need to not cost this place growth but we need to understand the problems we have. The biggest issue I and others have is we don't like being used we want to curb those drive buy help request. The next issue I have seen is that some people can't explain thier problems or are so vague we can't help. The last is more of a debate as to which side of the fence we are more focused to helping professional techs or helping the average joe.

gunslinger
12-08-2008, 02:40 PM
The last is more of a debate as to which side of the fence we are more focused to helping professional techs or helping the average joe.

I like to help everyone but, on this site I like to help fellow techs. I get paid to help non-techs.

I really don't see a good way to separate the two. So for now it is what it is. Technibble is the best forum I have ever been on , by far. I think any attempt to throw people into different classes stands a good chance of screwing up what we have worked so hard for.
We would run the risk of turning this site into one of those "other" computer forums. You know, the ones were you have to agree with whatever the admins and mods say in order to remain on the site.

Maybe when a new member makes their first thread, it could be sent to a mod-only area for screening? If it's spam or noncoherent, then the thread is deleted and the member is told to try again (or banned if its spam).

That seems to be the best thing I have heard so far. But then again this gives the mods maybe a little too much power. Lets say someone posts a thread basically bashing a program or OS that the mods are rather fond of. This guys thread or comments never even see the light of day. Don't say It can't happen , I have been the victim of this type of thing more times than I care to remember.

seedubya
12-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Technibble is the best forum I have ever been on , by far.

This is exactly how I feel about Technibble. I know I have gotten some people's back's up in the past with my rather unvarnished way of addressing my concerns to the wider community;) That being said, I'd prefer people be angry with me and thinking about the issue than see the forums turn into the steaming pile of s*** that is DaniWeb (for instance). Technibble is by far the best community for techs on the web. Let's keep it that way.

quizbowler1057
12-11-2008, 05:35 AM
Those of us who have some down time to actually sit, browse the forums and socialize and then dissapear because we've gotten to busy are insulted!

....Aren't we?

....Guys?

Sgt.Stryker
12-15-2008, 02:51 AM
I like to help everyone but, on this site I like to help fellow techs. I get paid to help non-techs.

I really don't see a good way to separate the two. So for now it is what it is. Technibble is the best forum I have ever been on , by far. I think any attempt to throw people into different classes stands a good chance of screwing up what we have worked so hard for.
We would run the risk of turning this site into one of those "other" computer forums. You know, the ones were you have to agree with whatever the admins and mods say in order to remain on the site.

That seems to be the best thing I have heard so far. But then again this gives the mods maybe a little too much power. Lets say someone posts a thread basically bashing a program or OS that the mods are rather fond of. This guys thread or comments never even see the light of day. Don't say It can't happen , I have been the victim of this type of thing more times than I care to remember.

I'm with you on this one gunslinger. This is the best forum I've been on for tech stuff, and I'd hate to see it go downhill.

abe
12-15-2008, 03:07 AM

yaa like if some one hates vista:):D:p (couldn't resist)

MHCG
12-15-2008, 03:37 AM
I just don't post in threads where someone in their first post is asking for help because "MY COMPUTER IS BROEK!!11!!, PLZ HALP!!". If they can't take enough time to provide a coherent post describing the symptoms or respond when someone asks for more information, I can't be bothered to help them.

techytype
12-15-2008, 03:38 AM
i hope you guys don't limit this forum. i've lurked on and off for a while, but haven't posted anything yet. i've been considering starting a part time repair and training business. i preferred to search and read for a while rather than asking a bunch of questions that have already been asked before. maybe i should get my post count up, just in case.

Bryce W
12-15-2008, 05:37 AM
Im going to change the front page description and this forum to be techs and enthusiasts only. I wont be limiting this forum by post count because there are actual technicians that just lurk and read.

Basically, if the question being asked isnt of a certain standard... stuff that a enthusiast and a technician know to be relevant information and needs to be mentioned, we'll just delete the post.

I hate drive by help requests as well and we are all in the business of getting PAID to help these people. When we help people who cant take the time to privide us with the information to help them, it hurts us twice. Once because we are taking time away from our own businesses and two, we are helping a home user for free which takes away work from techs.

Basically, if its a good question with all the relevent information it stays. If not, it goes.

There are a million tech support forums on the internet that help end users. There are very few technician only forums out there so I'd like to stay focused on technicians.

techytype
12-15-2008, 07:20 AM
bryce, thanks for taking us 'low post count' guys into consideration. btw, the site is excellent.

seedubya
12-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Thank you Bryce.

Blues
12-15-2008, 02:42 PM
bryce, thanks for taking us 'low post count' guys into consideration. btw, the site is excellent.

I certainly had no intent of hurting you guys but I knew the only way to get some answer was to bring the thing out for discussion. I am glad Bryce has responded to this and provided a solution to our concerns.

techytype
12-15-2008, 11:55 PM
I certainly had no intent of hurting you guys but I knew the only way to get some answer was to bring the thing out for discussion. I am glad Bryce has responded to this and provided a solution to our concerns.

i understand why you brought it up, and i think you were right in doing so.

Scoobaru
01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
As a Noob to this forum, I'm delighted to find such an informative site for the Professional. As mentioned there's a small army of sites available for the end user but very little for those of us that earn a living from our craft and knowledge.
I for one will read and lurk far more than I post. Mainly because with a decent search you can pretty much find the answers you need but for those situations where all else fails this forum could save the day.:cool:

davesomebody
01-10-2009, 05:20 AM
I wanted to say that as an enthusiast I really enjoy this site. The people who post are great and the information shared is top notch.

I became a member because I find a lot of good info here and hope to give back where I can.

TimeCode
02-17-2009, 07:24 PM
The closest thing I could come up with is have a delay of 12-hours or whatever before you're allowed to post. That way anybody that's just looking for a quick answer will go somewhere else more tailored for tech support. People that actually have an interest in the topics of the forums will probably stick around long enough to use the account.

Give an option...
1) Use a website verification for instant access (email address must be from same domain)
2) Be forced to wait 12 (or more) hours until you can post.

5 o`clock shadow
02-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi,
I know almost zero about computers. What I do know, is that my computer is freezing up and runs painfully slow.
What I`d like to know is, would it be worth my purchasing Reimage to fix my computer? Or, is Reimage really just for technicians and proffessionals? Would an ordinary guy like myself be able to operate and fix my computer?
I really don`t want to pay out large sums of money, only to find that I don`t know how to use it.
Before I dive in to the deep end, I thought I should ask you guys, as you seem to know what you`re talking about.
I would really appreciate any advice and opinions.
Many thanks.

TimeCode
02-17-2009, 08:02 PM
I know almost zero about computers. What I do know, is that my computer is freezing up and runs painfully slow.

With all due respect, have you even read ANY of the thread that you just posted in??? Your question is WAY out of line with the topic here, unless this is a joke.

Gunslinger, is that you?!?!?

purple_minion
02-17-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi,
What I`d like to know is, would it be worth my purchasing Reimage to fix my computer? Or, is Reimage really just for technicians and proffessionals? Would an ordinary guy like myself be able to operate and fix my computer?
I really don`t want to pay out large sums of money, only to find that I don`t know how to use it.
Before I dive in to the deep end, I thought I should ask you guys, as you seem to know what you`re talking about.
I would really appreciate any advice and opinions.
Many thanks.

Yes, reimage is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! Works every time, well worth the money.:)

Resler
02-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Yes, reimage is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! Works every time, well worth the money.:)

Do people even pay attention to the posts above the newest one on a thread?

purple_minion
02-18-2009, 01:51 AM

Do people even pay attention to the posts above the newest one on a thread?

Well it was either a joke, in which point I played along, or it was someone serious and in that case they,

1)Didn't read the thread like others have said, which I've actually seen at other forums. They like to just jump in with a completely unrelated post quite often.

2)I hope they rot in hell and waste their money on whatever, it will benefit the receivers more then those brain dead morons. If you're too stupid to post a new topic then god I hope they don't breed!

I'm leaning on the joke side, since the grammar was way better then the normal posts like this I've seen, plus someone has done some looking around if they are mentioning reimage. Then again maybe it is on the website ads, as I have adblock and don't see those anymore, in which case they should be referred back to number 2 above.

Either way it was sarcasm, I thought the little face would clue ya in! ;)