PDA

View Full Version : How to Repair Vista like XP

Pc Fixed Right
11-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Is there a way to do repair on a vista installation (NOT using recovery console) but an actual repair as can be done in Windows XP?:confused:

JRDtechnet
11-29-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm not sure I understand the question? If XP can't boot then you would have to use the recovery console, right? :confused: Do you mean something like a Live Vista cd like Bart PE is to XP?

RyanMeray
11-29-2008, 09:37 PM
I would post a link to a site that has the directions, but apparantly I can't post links until I have 15 posts? Have viral marketers been a big problem here or something?

The very first result in google for "vista repair installation" will bring you to a page on vistax64.com, and it has a tutorial that should help a lot.

NWPhotog
11-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I have to admit your logo annoys me. perhaps tht is a good thing?

koonter
11-30-2008, 10:56 AM
besides making no logical sense. but for a non proffesional it might sound good

seedubya
11-30-2008, 11:40 AM
It makes sense if you're pitching yourself against GeekSquad and the like.

gunslinger
11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
It makes sense if you're pitching yourself against GeekSquad and the like.

Yes, or the 14 year old next door who "fixes" computers part time for free and cuts into my business.

NWPhotog
11-30-2008, 04:02 PM
It made me think of a 14 year old designer. As I said, for me, it was just irritating!

Pc Fixed Right
11-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Hmm back to topic =P
Okay in xp when you want to do a repair from an xp disc you have two choices for the repair. The first is using the recovery console by pressing R so you would have to enter commands etc to replace files. The 2nd option is when you want to reinstall the files by agreeing to the license and than do a repair on an exsisting installation of windows.

I would like to do a repair on an existing installation of Vista if it exists. I am getting really annoyed with Vista as I do not see that option anywhere.

gunslinger
11-30-2008, 05:33 PM
There are Vista recovery discs that you can download, although I have not used them myself.

You can get them here:http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

Good luck with getting anything to work with Vista.

Azz
11-30-2008, 07:00 PM
As far as I know Vista doesn't have a repair install option like XP.

The Vista repair CD's are usualy the startup repair facilities on the Vista DVD's.

Pc Fixed Right
11-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I have both the 32 bit and 64 bit repair discs but unfortunately they won't let me do what I want. As a last resort I will have to just install vista from scratch or their recovery discs sigh =(

Azz
11-30-2008, 07:38 PM
What is it that you want to do?

gunslinger
11-30-2008, 08:51 PM
I have both the 32 bit and 64 bit repair discs but unfortunately they won't let me do what I want. As a last resort I will have to just install vista from scratch or their recovery discs sigh =(

Thats what I end up doing with Vista most of the time. Or just installing XP on it, all seems to go well after that. :D

Pc Fixed Right
11-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Customer has brought a laptop that will not get online because Dependency service or group failed to start. System Event Notification service failed to start. I have tried to start the service manually but I do not have the option to start it, stop it. or restart it. Looking at its status it says Start Pending but the service will not start.

gunslinger
11-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Have you tried starting the service under the built in "real" admin account?

Pc Fixed Right
11-30-2008, 10:00 PM
No I did not try that yet. I googled the error and many people seemed to have a fixed the issue using cmd sfc /scannow but in my case that did not fix the error. I will log in as the real admin and see how it goes.

RyanMeray
11-30-2008, 10:54 PM
I'm trying not to be snarky here, but perhaps if a few people hadn't gotten sidetracked criticizing my logo you might have noticed that my post got you as close to an answer as I could get without copying and pasting from their site.

Vista has a 'repair' install function, but it's called an 'upgrade' install now. It's virtually the same thing.

It works with any retail or system builder Vista DVD. You might be SOL if you have a 'royal' OEM copy of the disc, but YMMV.

Looks like I can post URLs now. Woot.

www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

lawson_jl
11-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Lots of stuff here.

I don't find 14 yr old kids cut into my bussiness to much cause they tend to mess up more things then they fix and people have to pay me more to recover photos, videos, etc the kids deleted when they refomated the hard drive to fix a start up error.

I always thought that a repair install was a cheap and half ass way to fix a PC. Not something a real computer tech should be doing. Something like what a 14 yr old kid would do. I also find that reapair installs don't always fix the problem either or fix all of the problems.

I would just back the data up and reinstall the OS if I coudln't find a solution to the problem with a reasonable amount of googling.

Pc Fixed Right
11-30-2008, 11:49 PM
WOOHOO you are right and the funny thing is I was just about to post that link I just found it before I logged back in here. Thank you Ryan I should have read your post a little closer. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html

Technical Skills and Age are really irrelevant seeing as how the younger generation knows more and more and are generally more technically inclined.

As far as repair installs being half assed...well that option is entirely the customers they were given the 2 choices and they picked one. Now that I can do the repair install my customer will be happy but I will clearly inform them of future issues and that may arise from not doing a clean install.

JRDtechnet
11-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Did you make sure the 'Remote Procedure Call (RPC)' service is started? You need that service to be started in order to start the System Event Notification service.

Pc Fixed Right
12-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Yes RPC is started.

RyanMeray
12-01-2008, 06:23 AM
I always thought that a repair install was a cheap and half ass way to fix a PC. Not something a real computer tech should be doing. Something like what a 14 yr old kid would do. I also find that reapair installs don't always fix the problem either or fix all of the problems.

I would just back the data up and reinstall the OS if I coudln't find a solution to the problem with a reasonable amount of googling.

I think any idiot can reformat a computer and then leave the customer spinning in the wind to reinstall years of applications and reconfigure everything to their liking.

The donkeys at Geek Squad are great at it, they call it an "Advanced Diagnostic," charge $200 for it, then extort the customer for more money to backup their data beforehand!

If I was a total jackass, I'd do the same thing.

Repair installations serve a purpose, and in the situations where they work, they're bloody fantastic. If I can spend 3 hours fixing a problem and finish up with a repair install, and can give the client their computer back just like it was working when they last remembered, then I'm going to have a much happier client than if I spend 2 hours backing up their data, wiping their drive, reinstalling Windows, then dumping all their files back onto the computer in no order and calling it a day.

The trick is knowing when to keep troubleshooting a problem and when to take off and nuke from orbit. Knowing that moment when it hits is what separates the geeks from the pros.

Azz
12-01-2008, 08:25 AM
I think any idiot can reformat a computer and then leave the customer spinning in the wind to reinstall years of applications and reconfigure everything to their liking.

The donkeys at Geek Squad are great at it, they call it an "Advanced Diagnostic," charge $200 for it, then extort the customer for more money to backup their data beforehand!

If I was a total jackass, I'd do the same thing.

Repair installations serve a purpose, and in the situations where they work, they're bloody fantastic. If I can spend 3 hours fixing a problem and finish up with a repair install, and can give the client their computer back just like it was working when they last remembered, then I'm going to have a much happier client than if I spend 2 hours backing up their data, wiping their drive, reinstalling Windows, then dumping all their files back onto the computer in no order and calling it a day.

The trick is knowing when to keep troubleshooting a problem and when to take off and nuke from orbit. Knowing that moment when it hits is what separates the geeks from the pros.

I totally agree.

Customers sometimes even don't have their installation CD's for the programs they have, or they came pre installed.

If there is an option to give the customer their PC back working as it was Id chose that.

Aaron

stevenamills
12-02-2008, 12:53 AM
If there is an option to give the customer their PC back working as it was Id chose that.

It's absolutely the right thing to do if possible. I've seen too many people destroyed, computer-wise, by the nuke and pave approach.

RyanMeray
12-02-2008, 03:13 AM
It's nice to see some like-minded individuals around. I've had so many new clients come to me burned by techs with a "destroy the village to save it" mentality I was beginning to wonder if I was the last sane man on the planet.

Cheers, guys.

seedubya
12-02-2008, 08:48 AM

Now that's true ...

stevenamills
12-02-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm trying not to be snarky here, but perhaps if a few people hadn't gotten sidetracked criticizing my logo you might have noticed that my post got you as close to an answer as I could get without copying and pasting from their site.

That was inexcusably rude in a public forum, from my perspective. PMs are for this sort of thing if someone really wanted to help.

You should have received an apology.

Pc Fixed Right
12-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys for helping me out. My learning curve for vista just got smaller =). Clients computer is up and running fully functional. All her programs , files etc stayed and the problem is eradicated.

I did not want to re-install from scratch as it was not needed in this situation. She had no viruses, no spyware, no adaware no nothing just some services in windows that did not function. Yes I could have charged her more for the re-install but I am not that guy. I aim to provide customer satisfaction and a long term customer relationship. Providing unnecessary solutions is a waste of my clients money and I can't morally/ethically deal with that.

RyanMeray
12-02-2008, 09:15 PM
That was inexcusably rude in a public forum, from my perspective. PMs are for this sort of thing if someone really wanted to help.

You should have received an apology.

Their rudeness didn't even register on my flamometer, but then I've got thick skin. Nonetheless, I wasn't going to let them off the hook without calling them out. PCfixedright did in fact miss my post because of their thread derail, so I feel worse for him than anything.

I'm extremely happy with my logo and branding, and my clients pay me compliments for them frequently, so the naysayers can bugger off for all I care.

Rider
12-02-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm extremely happy with my logo and branding

Personally, I like it.

Pc Fixed Right
12-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Ryan your logo is eye catching and probably makes people want to know what its for.

stevenamills
12-02-2008, 10:52 PM
When I sent my two boys out into the world I gave them one bit of advice:

"Assume that the person you are talking to has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. You will seldom be disappointed"

This has served me well over the years and I find it increasingly accurate.

Steve

PS I like your slogan nearly as well as mine! ;)

doortodoorgeek
12-03-2008, 02:02 AM
When I sent my two boys out into the world I gave them one bit of advice:

"Assume that the person you are talking to has absolutely no idea what they're talking about. You will seldom be disappointed"

This has served me well over the years and I find it increasingly accurate.

Steve

PS I like your slogan nearly as well as mine! ;)

I assume the same and am rarely presently surprised

12-03-2008, 03:35 AM
Once again, back on topic:

This is something that I just thought of...
Since Vista can boot up to a repair menu on the DVD, that allows for a command prompt, wouldn't running
sfc /scannow /offdir=c:\windows /offbootdir=c:\
essentially repair Vista?

I've never thought about it, but does SFC also work in XP's recovery console? I guess, technically, with SFC you could even run it on a slave drive.

I'm curious to know if this would work the way I think it would...

RyanMeray
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Hypothetically...maybe? I've run into numerous problems with XP that couldn't be fixed by SFC /scannow, but could be fixed by repair installs, so I question whether the Vista sfc function is improved enough that it could replace the repair install option.

Pc Fixed Right
12-03-2008, 05:32 PM

I will have to try this on the next machine.

netxm
12-17-2008, 03:28 PM
I just got Vista laptop with BSOD, simply ran installation DVD and then repair this computer after couple restarts, machine is ready to go. I don't know why everybody hate Vista?

Jager
12-17-2008, 07:37 PM
Once again, back on topic:

This is something that I just thought of...
Since Vista can boot up to a repair menu on the DVD, that allows for a command prompt, wouldn't running

I've never thought about it, but does SFC also work in XP's recovery console? I guess, technically, with SFC you could even run it on a slave drive.

I'm curious to know if this would work the way I think it would...

The way that SFC works, it doesn't actually replace files unless they doen't match the source provided. It performs repairs on a file-to-file basis, whereas the repair install method goes through and rewrites the registry and system files in relation to a basic install and (mostly) avoids touching installed programs and files. There are a few programs that get tied to installation IDs, etc (AVG 7.5 was one of them); there is some clean-up work to be done after a repair (updates, checking drivers, checking programs that sometimes don't last through a repair install), but in the end, there is little to no critical data loss and overall less work than the "cycle the crops" method of burning down the old install to create a "better and more alive" install.