PDA

View Full Version : Working Overseas

murali
11-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi,

I am an uncertified computer technician from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I am planning to look for a job overseas.

I have 4 years of experience in PC repair business, currently working as a security officer at a company but doing part time on site PC repair work, buying and selling PCs.

I would say I am as good as a Diploma holder or better, my experience speaks for it self, I learn the hard way, now I am more establish, nowadays I don't have to look for customer they look for me, I have establish 70 over customers in 2 years.

Now looking for a job in overseas and also thinking of migrating once I am more settled, I am married with 2 young kids.

If anyone on the look for a technicians I am ready to work.

Thank you.

Murali
tmuralli@gmail.com

MrMille
11-27-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't want to be a $hite about this, but why do you feel the need to tell people you think you are at diploma level?

seedubya
11-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Coz he's looking for a job and feels that his lack of formal qualifications is a problem for potential employers.

MrMille
11-27-2008, 03:07 PM
In the majority of cases, it will be a problem,
as many roles will require the applicant to hold a diploma or degree,
especially for the role of security officer.

Perhaps you meant security guard? in which case world and dog can apply.

I wouldn't even mention the lack of a Diploma in the interview.

But to be fair to the people who have spent 2, 3, and 4 years getting their certificate, diploma, degree, respectively. Those without a formal certification have a cheek implying they have a degree or diploma.

Let your experience and ability speak for itself.

In Germany, it's illegal to use the term 'engineer' unless you actually hold a B. Eng.

With everyone being stuck in the same feckin global depression, no is the time to stay where you are, and batten down the hatches.

seedubya
11-27-2008, 08:01 PM
I didn't read that he was implying he had any qualification. In fact his very first sentence says he is UNcertified. He's saying he's as good a technican as a diploma holder. Degrees and diplomas count for very little as far as technicians go. Nothing wrong with that as long as he can demonstrate it to a potential employer.

If you checked with the majority of people on this board who work every day as technicians I think you'd find the vast majority of them do not have a college course in computing. What they are more likely to have are professional qualifications like CCNA, MCSE etc. but many won't even have that, among them some of the best techs. on here.

MrMille
11-28-2008, 10:35 AM
He's saying he's as good a technican as a diploma holder.

What they are more likely to have are professional qualifications like CCNA, MCSE etc. but many won't even have that, among them some of the best techs. on here.

I'll happily argue the toss over this debate all night long.
People who have not obtained, by study, a diploma or degree,
don't get to say "I'm as good as".

CCNA and MCSE are not professional qualifications, they are only certifications. Agreed some certs are hard to get, but some can be obtained without any study, if you've worked in the area for longer than a week, e.g. Comptia++++

Professional qualifiations are courses, taken after graduation offered directly by professional bodies such as the Chartered Institute of Engineers/Accountants.

The OP *thinks* he's as good as a Diploma holder, as he has not obtained a degree or diploma. He is not in a position to know of the wide area of training / study that goes into getting a Diploma or a degree.

murali
11-28-2008, 12:37 PM
MrMille,

No offense to all the IT graduate out there (with cert), I respect all of them, it's not something easy to get Diploma or Degree, in fact I have learn some valuable knowledge from IT graduates.

"I would say I am as good as a Diploma holder or better"
I have came across many problem in this 4 years, I manage to solve all the problem with little help from outside, I learn the hard way, all through real world experience. I also said I can be "better" then some so called IT graduate, I will tell you a real story of what happened to a customer when he was attended by the so called IT graduate.

Customers complaint the PC is too slow, sometimes it may take up to 5 mins to open a Word file, the technician went there, checked the PC and told the customer that the motherboard is faulty plus RAM is too small (customer's RAM was 256MB running WinXP Pro), he took the money from the customer and bought Socket 775 M/B and 512MB DDR2 RAM but in actual fact the M/B is Socket 478 and DDR 1 RAM. He try to fit the Processor and RAM but both doesn't fit in, he told the customer that the M/B may have problem he will come back tomorrow to do it, that was the last time the customer saw him, customer try calling him, no answer/voicemail, the customer stopped calling him after sometime, then I went to see him through one of my customer, the customer told me what happened, I told her that the M/B and RAM is wrong, I reinstall the original M/B and RAM, found 54 program running and CPU at 100% continuously, uninstall all the unnecesary program, took out the HDD, ran a full scan with my laptop, found many malwares, reinstalled the HDD, install one more 256MB DDR1 RAM (total 512MB),cleared all junks and registries, now 36 program running, CPU at 0 to 1%, now everything is faster then before.

An IT graduate don't know the difference between various Sockets and RAMs.

Another graduate installed WinXP Pro (pirated copy) on a CPU which has genuine WinXP Home license sticker, I called and ask the technician why you did this, he has a very clever answer, XP Pro is better then XP Home. I can tell you many stories like this.

Again not all the graduates are bad or stupid, as I mentioned before, I have learn many valuable knowledge from IT graduates.

"I'll happily argue the toss over this debate all night long"
You don't have to be bro, I know how good am I.

"People who have not obtained, by study, a diploma or degree,
don't get to say "I'm as good as".
I have all the confidence to say that I can be equally good as a Diploma holder. I don't need your endorsement on this.

Seedubya,

Thanks for your kind words, appreciate it.

Murali

MrMille
11-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Dude, you are comparing yourself to two "graduates" who are clearly completely clueless spastics.

Compare yourself to a 1.1 degree holder, or someone with a masters, or even a Ph.D. in computers. Always compare yourself to the best.

You'll make a fool of yourself if you try to compare yourself to someone who has a qualification that you don't. It screams envy.

murali
11-28-2008, 03:42 PM
MrMille,

Thanks for the comments.

I would prefer to learn more from the best rather then do a comparison, it's a waste of time, I have better things to do.

This thread has diverted from original topic.

Thank you.

Murali

MrMille
11-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Ireland is a bad place to emigrate too at the moment.
The number of people seeking jobs has doubled in the last few months.
Ireland, along with many other European countries, has entered into a recession. Hardly surprising when we are in a global depression.

Stay where you are, and batten down the hatches, nobody is hiring computer techs that I know of. Perhaps someone else can chime in and offer a job or pointers?