PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite live cd and why?

frostbyte5014
11-24-2008, 03:20 AM
Do you have a favorite live cd you use all the time? What is your favorite, and why do you prefer it?

jj2000
11-24-2008, 11:18 AM
knoppix all the way, does everything i need.
http://www.knoppix.org/

ithinkyou5.0
11-24-2008, 12:15 PM
second that. knoppix is awesome for all my needs and ive never had a case where ive needed any other live cd but that yet :) plus im a sucker for all things linux.

JasonRulesUDont
11-25-2008, 12:20 AM
I've found Ubuntu is awesome for when you stay at a friends house who's dad is gone and has a password on Windows.

frostbyte5014
11-25-2008, 03:01 AM
I like knoppix ok, but I like minipe because I can run my favorite portables like smitfraud, combofix, malwarebytes, jkdefrag ect.

chronage
11-26-2008, 08:55 PM
ERD Commander. It's simple and works :D.

doortodoorgeek
12-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Because of the lack of speed from a live cd, I just backup data with'em, I do use PenDriveLinux2008, it is simple, clean and does the job

With that said evey pc (2 desktops and 3 laptops) in my house except one runs linux full time

and after football season they will all be linux

davesomebody
12-01-2008, 04:33 AM
gparted live CD is a linux live cd with gnu partition editor built into it.

I've actually bought two partition editors over the years. As a hobbyist I discovered that whatever I buy isn't up to the job after sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. What a waste of money!

Recently I had two occasions where I needed to repartition drives and found myself too cheap to buy yet another partition editor. In one instance I used it to repartition a newish drive I took out of an old system and slapped into a USB enclosure. On another occasion I used it to repartition a parallels desktop partition I had expanded.

Worked like a champ both times!

doortodoorgeek
12-01-2008, 01:01 PM
gparted live CD is a linux live cd with gnu partition editor built into it.

I've actually bought two partition editors over the years. As a hobbyist I discovered that whatever I buy isn't up to the job after sitting on the shelf for a couple of years. What a waste of money!

Recently I had two occasions where I needed to repartition drives and found myself too cheap to buy yet another partition editor. In one instance I used it to repartition a newish drive I took out of an old system and slapped into a USB enclosure. On another occasion I used it to repartition a parallels desktop partition I had expanded.

Worked like a champ both times!

good shout out, i love gparted and parted magic

veedar
12-28-2008, 03:43 AM
Knoppix is great but Accelerated Knoppix I use more often as it boots in half the time.

http://www.alpha.co.jp/biz/rdg/ac-knoppix/index_en.html

abe
01-05-2009, 01:14 PM
hiren 9.7 now has a live mini xp including all the hiren tools for windows.

ofcourse hiren's boot disks are for educational purposes only :)

i2omani
01-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Knoppix i second, triple and quadruple that!:D

technut
01-13-2009, 10:47 PM
Ubuntu/Xubuntu, Puppy and Knoppix.

gunslinger
01-14-2009, 01:23 AM
hiren 9.7 now has a live mini xp including all the hiren tools for windows.

ofcourse hiren's boot disks are for educational purposes only :)

Yea, its my fave too but people on here seem to frown on me for it. :rolleyes:

l337
01-15-2009, 04:00 AM
im a fan of hirens and minipe too XD

Methical
02-21-2009, 12:59 AM
I'd agree with Knoppix; Hiren's isn't to bad either. Recommend branding your boot CD, always looks good when your doing it infront of a customer, very professional like; and use a USB flash drive with my up-to-date portable toolkit.

purple_minion
02-21-2009, 02:23 AM
Systemrescuecd has always allowed me to do anything I want. Plus with all the CLI babbling and clicking they would be blown away. Nothing makes you look masterful like typing!!!

Methical
02-21-2009, 02:36 AM
LOL @ masterful like typing!
Pretty much why I used to laugh at everyone @ course making there websites in DreamWeaver. As my old man used to say... real men use notepad.

purple_minion
02-21-2009, 03:49 AM
LOL @ masterful like typing!
Pretty much why I used to laugh at everyone @ course making there websites in DreamWeaver. As my old man used to say... real men use notepad.

EXACTLY! Nothing says expert like...
mkdir /mnt/my_slick_usb_drive
mount -t ntfs /dev/sdg1 /mnt/my_slick_usb_drive
fdisk -l
ddrescue if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/my_slick_usb_drive
umount /mnt/my_slick_usb_drive
shutdown -h now
laugh at wonderment and questions

mounting over smb or nfs is even more impressive, but alas I can't remember the command.

ALSO there is never going to be that "you pushed two buttons" crap. Tell them to figure out the commands themselves with the man page!!!!!!!! HA!

gunslinger
02-21-2009, 04:49 AM
Looks impressive but by the time you are done typing I could have run Ccleaner and be half way done with a Malwarebytes scan.

Methical
02-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Using commands always looks impressive infront of a client :) makes them feel they are gettin' there moneys worth.. there they are behind you lookin over your shoulder watching you type out commands into the terminal faster than they can read and they are just like *HUH* :eek:

purple_minion
02-21-2009, 05:31 AM
Looks impressive but by the time you are done typing I could have run Ccleaner and be half way done with a Malwarebytes scan.

True but those commands had nothing to do with av or malware. I also find that UBCD takes forever to load, however I take it that you are running that all on the host os and not a boot cd. I do like UBCD but for some things quick SRCD just boots faster.

pcmac
03-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I downloaded the latest Knoppix LIVE CD,maybe you experts can help?

I am having problem starting f-prot.virus scan

I downloaded it, now called "fpscan" and click "execute" but do not get any windows to see scan started?

tried commands under terminal f-prot /mnt/hdb1

still nothing

my goal is to scan a windows drive, using f-prot.with latest Knoppix LIVE CD

usacvlr
03-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Exactly my thought...

I tried linux like 10 years ago and I was like,, This is like running windows 3.1 on Dos 6.22.. only,, windows worked. My linux geekdom died a mercifully quick death.

I did like the K desktop environment........when it worked.

purple_minion
03-04-2009, 04:47 PM
I downloaded the latest Knoppix LIVE CD,maybe you experts can help?

I am having problem starting f-prot.virus scan

I downloaded it, now called "fpscan" and click "execute" but do not get any windows to see scan started?

tried commands under terminal f-prot /mnt/hdb1

still nothing

my goal is to scan a windows drive, using f-prot.with latest Knoppix LIVE CD

While I haven't used the Knoppix live cd unless you are mounting the drive there it should be under /dev. Have you done a "fdisk -l" to list all the drive partitions and see what is labeled what? It should more likely be a /dev/hdb1

purple_minion
03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Exactly my thought...

I tried linux like 10 years ago and I was like,, This is like running windows 3.1 on Dos 6.22.. only,, windows worked. My linux geekdom died a mercifully quick death.

I did like the K desktop environment........when it worked.

I tried installing Debian somewhere like 5-6 years ago, gave up. I hear ya, but they have come a LONG way since then. You really don't have to touch the command line too much, and if you do there is always cut and paste from Dear Google, which in my mind is exactly the same as someone mentioning an obscure reg key buried somewhere deep in windows that you have no idea where or what it does... but you change it and low and behold it works.