PDA

View Full Version : Custom Host File - MVPS.ORG

Nextora
11-19-2008, 06:52 AM
In another post I saw that WareDat uses a custom host file (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm) from MVPs.com. It seems like a pretty good idea and I am thinking about using this for my clients. Has anybody else used this file? I can't really think of any downfalls to using this file but am interested in others opinions.

WareDat have you or your clients run into any issues using this custom host file? Are there any unwanted "side effects" I should be aware of before using this? I'm going to give it a try on my own computer right now. Thanks for turning me on to this file. I am very excited to give it a try.

WareDat
11-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Well first I always ask if they would like the extra layer of protection added to their computer. I explain to them that there is a trade off, and if you try to visit a site that is in the list you will not be able to. This is what the file does.

With first timers the only issue/complaint I get is they receive the "can not display webpage" error when attempting to visit a site in the host file, or an ad banner sometimes shows the error. But after explaining to them again that they receive this error because they attempted to visit a "Bad" site and that is how the host file works they seem very satisfied. I've, never had anyone ask to have it removed yet, and actually get frequent compliments about how they seen that page and realized they were trying to visit a bad site.

The only other complaint I hear comes from the kids who complain to their parents about how the computer guy totally screwed up the computer, and it doesn't work any more. ;)

stevenamills
11-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I've used the builtin HOSTS file from Spybot for a long time. I don'tnow the source, but seems to work well.

Nextora
11-26-2008, 03:09 AM
After using this file for about a week on multiple computers I am definitely a fan and will continue to use it. One concern I had was the host file being so large (about 600k) I thought it would it slow things down. Luckily I haven't notice that happening on any of my machines.

On the MVPs site they recommend disabling the "DNS Client" service because HOST files over 135k tend to slow things down. Interestingly enough, they claim you don't actually need the DNS Client Service unless you are in a domain environment. I haven't disabled the DNS Client Service and all is still working great for me.

It is nice to be able to block some of the junk out there without having to run an additional program. I'll definitely give my clients the option of having this installed.

One interesting side effect is that I was unable to watch the Mike Tech Show live stream on uStream while the host file was active. I think they recently put up ads on the uStream site and since some of the ad providers were in the host file the ads weren't being displayed. I think uStream knows your aren't viewing their ads and won't let you watch video. Hmm.........I don't know how I feel about that.

11-26-2008, 03:30 AM
One interesting side effect is that I was unable to watch the Mike Tech Show live stream on uStream while the host file was active. I think they recently put up ads on the uStream site and since some of the ad providers were in the host file the ads weren't being displayed. I think uStream knows your aren't viewing their ads and won't let you watch video. Hmm.........I don't know how I feel about that.

I was going to mention that. I've been using the MVPS host file for a long time and ad-supported videos are the only problem I've ever had. Several sites are like that now. One of my friends complained about it when he was trying to watch something on MLB.com.
It doesn't bother me, but it's something that I'd definitely want to mention to customers.