PDA

View Full Version : Weird Power Problem. Very Weird!!!

frostbyte5014
11-18-2008, 12:54 AM
I think I had the strangest case today in all my 11 years working on computers. Got called out to a customerís site because three computers in their shop were stuck in a continuous reboot cycle. They would till windows was just about to initialize and memory dump. I tested memory, cpu, power supply, ect. I checked the boot sector and windows and everything was clean. I must have spent about an hour on each one doing various tests and found nothing. Well the shop was noisy and I thought I would take one of the computers to the front office where I could concentrate. When I plugged the computer in and turned it on it worked perfect. So I took it back out to the shop and it failed at the same exact place. Took it back to the office and it worked fine. I immediately thought that the circuit in the shop was faulty or had low voltage. We tested voltage and the amps and everything tested perfect. I tried the other two computers in the front office and they also worked perfect. I also tried them on new battery backups and they still failed in the shop.

Does anyone have an idea what else I should test? Or should I call a Priest?

Thanks
Brian

bagellad
11-18-2008, 02:24 AM
Wow that is a weird one, did you notice any satanic rituals, goats blood etc? Sounds like you need an electrician not a priest. I have one plug downstairs in my house that use to make my old old computer freeze up if left idle for a long time and a surge protector helped. I would be curious what happens if you bring in a computer with a known working power supply and see what happens? I was thinking it was a computer virus initally..

TimeCode
11-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I tried the other two computers in the front office and they also worked perfect. I also tried them on new battery backups and they still failed in the shop.
Have you moved computers around??? Move the ones that aren't working to where the working ones are and vice-versa...

Checkmate
11-19-2008, 02:23 AM
I would think a line conditioner. Depending on what they have running in the shop, could be causing power failures.

frostbyte5014
11-19-2008, 10:58 PM
I just wanted to give an update on the power issue. We moved other computers that worked to the problem area and they worked just fine. I replace the power supply in one of the problem pcs and tried it again in the problem area and it failed again. We have contacted an electrician to come in and test the power condition. I suspect some sort of frequency problem. The computers with the older power supplies seem to work fine in the problem area.

I'm still open to suggestions if anybody has one.