PDA

View Full Version : Keep your flash drive sync'd

WareDat
11-13-2008, 02:10 AM
If your like me you probably have a few different places you keep you work related data, programs, and tools. Such as a directory on your main computer hard drive, and on your flash drive. But it's a pain to keep the data (or remember) between the two sync'd. Sometimes I'll update software, customer data, or work notes on my flash drive while onsite, other times I'll update on the shop computer and forget to update the flash drive. Nothing is worse then going on a service call and not having the data you thought you had with you.

Those days are behind me now, all I have to do is remember to plug my flash drive into my computer and everything is sync'd automatically. Here is what you need.

Download SyncToy v2.0 from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&DisplayLang=en and install it on your shop computer, setup a folder pair to synchronize. In my case "D:\Clear Choice Computer\Sync\" and "H:\ "(My Flash Drive). Remember the name of the folder pair you will need this shortly.

Now create an autorun.inf for your flash drive with the following lines in it

[autorun]
OPEN=C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0\SyncToyCmd.exe -R "Your Folder Pair"
ACTION=Update Flash Drive

Every time you insert your flash drive the autorun window will pop up and ask what you want to do, click update flash drive and it will automatically synchronize your directory and your flash drive.

If you use PStart you can create a AutoIt script with the following lines

Run ( '"C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.0\SyncToyCmd.exe" -R "Your Folder Pair"' )
Run ( "PStart\PStart.exe" ) if this is the path to your PStart

Compile the script name it autorun.exe and place it in the root of your flash drive.
Create an autorun.inf with the following lines
[autorun]
OPEN=autorun.exe
ACTION=(What ever you want to be displayed on the auto run popup)

Now when you plug your flash drive into your computer it will sync and launch PStart, when you plug it into a customers computer it will launch PStart.

ootuoyetahi
11-13-2008, 12:40 PM
I am going to have to check this out. Thanks!

stevenamills
11-13-2008, 02:57 PM
WareDat,

Thanks for starting this thread. I had considered something similar, but never got around to it. My Flash Drrive is at the core of what I do, so I keep it backed up and regularly synched. I like your ideas.

I do have a question - you mentioned downloading SyncToy 1.4, bit your scripts use 2.0. I know 2.0 has had some problems and I assumed that's why you suggested 1.4. 2.0 can just quit with one of those useless MS errors. There seems to be no answer at this point from all of the forums I've read, except revert to 1.4.

I've been trying Toucan as an alternative and, thus far, it seems pretty capable.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Steve

WareDat
11-13-2008, 09:45 PM
WareDat,

I do have a question - you mentioned downloading SyncToy 1.4, bit your scripts use 2.0. I know 2.0 has had some problems and I assumed that's why you suggested 1.4. 2.0 can just quit with one of those useless MS errors. There seems to be no answer at this point from all of the forums I've read, except revert to 1.4.

Steve

Steve I totally missed that, when I set it up I downloaded SyncToy from the version 1.4 page and never gave it another thought to check what version was installed. I do have version 2.0 installed, I checked and when you click download on the 1.4 page it now redirects to a download version 2 page.

I haven't experienced any problems as of yet with version 2, but will definitely have a look at Toucan.

Thanks Chris