PDA

View Full Version : ShipUp-A

Rider
11-12-2008, 02:22 PM
I work for an irrigation company and I fix golf course irrigation computer systems. We have our company computers which are networked and running Sophos and it does a great job at picking up and stopping this virus.

The problem I have is the course computers I fix and the computers I use to fix the course computers cannot be attached to the companies network. Somewhere along the line we picked up the ShipUp-A virus and it has infected virtually all of our non-networked computers. This virus propgates rampantly through USB drives and external hard drives. Infected computers have ccprxy.exe running which dumps autorun.inf and infrom.exe to the external media. When you plug that media into another computer it infects that computer. It's a fairly harmless virus but I'm having a hell of a time getting rid of it.

Because the computers aren't networked I have to use portable antivirus software. I've used ClamWin and it detects the virus and seems to remove it however, it always comes back.

I've searched google for removal tools and even tried a manual removal but this nasty little b@stard keeps coming back.

Any suggestions?

Rider
11-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Install a real Antivirus from CD, something like NOD32 will do just fine. You need to turn off system restore, clean the registry, etc etc.

I would love to however, I can't purchase any antivirus software. Our company has a seperate IT department that is responsible for company computers and they have all the antivirus software and it can only be used on company computers.

The computers we ship to golf courses technically aren't supposed to be connected to the internet. Golf course irrigation is serious business and if they can't water it can cost them $$$$. We discourage them from using thier computers for anything other than irrigation but very few courses abide by that. What it boils down to is I get stuck fixing alot of computers with malware with limited tools and resources.

I've been fixing computers for a long time but I just started this job and I'm still trying to figure out what I can and can't use legally. Even freeware like AVG is for private use only.

Sorry, getting long winded again...I'll stop now.

iptech
11-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Manual removal instructions for ShipUp. (http://www.exterminate-it.com/malpedia/remove-shipup)

HTH

geekhelp4u
11-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I would love to however, I can't purchase any antivirus software.

Use Avast Free Edition. Once every two weeks or so, stop by and install the latest updates using a USB stick.

Rider
11-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Use Avast Free Edition. Once every two weeks or so, stop by and install the latest updates using a USB stick.

Avast is free for home use only.

iptech
11-12-2008, 04:59 PM
It's easy enough to remove manually, no need for any additional software.