PDA

View Full Version : The disappearing SATA HDD

Rob_NNCC
05-01-2012, 03:15 AM
I have a customer that just made a home made system with an ASUS z68 motherboard and a core i5 hdd. The system is hooked up to a Seagate 1 TB hdd. The issue is, some times during post the HDD is not detected.

What I have done:
Move connection from SATA6 to SATA3 header.
Update bios to 3 day old build.
unplug all other SATA devices.
Switch from AHCI to IDE. This fixed the issue but it is not ideal.

Any advice, or should I just repair the windows install to play nice with legacy SATA mode.

Thanks in advance

PCX
05-01-2012, 03:16 AM
Did you run a diagnostics . . . . . . . . .

Rob_NNCC
05-01-2012, 03:19 AM
sorry to leave that out. Sea tools thinks the HDD is OK. It is brand new (I know that does not mean much now adays...) I have NOT hooked up another HDD to the computer to see if it does not detect that.

Thanks for the quick reply.

PCX
05-01-2012, 03:23 AM
I could be wrong, but if its not being recognized in the bios, then its not going to help doing anything on the Windows side. Have you run any other tests on the Mobo, CPU or even the memory. I know that the CPU and even the memory are less likely to be the culprit, but you never know. I have seen faulting CPUs and memory do weird things.

Also, you already know this, but try another hard drive and make sure you do an extended test on the HDD and not just a short test.

732914TECH
05-01-2012, 02:16 PM
my bet is the motherboard if switching to IDE mode resolves the issue...

mkeathley
05-01-2012, 02:34 PM
I've had this issue in the past and switched the Sata cable to a newer one. Sometimes folks use older sata cables they already have when building a system.

I like/hate the locking ones. Might be a good idea here. Especially if its a cheap case that vibrates alot.

Tepin
05-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I've had this issue in the past and switched the Sata cable to a newer one. Sometimes folks use older sata cables they already have when building a system.

I like/hate the locking ones. Might be a good idea here. Especially if its a cheap case that vibrates alot.

Does it miss the hard drive when the machine is cold, or does this just happen after the machine has been running for some time? When it does boot does the heatsink on the Southbridge get uncomfortable to touch after awhile?

Rob_NNCC
05-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all your comments. Turned out to be HDD firmware.