PDA

View Full Version : Assistance requested: 2nd user lcd screen wrong one?

Chewie
04-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Up until now I have not done anything more invasive to a laptop than changing a hard drive or adding RAM so I appreciate I am a novice on them.
Having managed to crib a few dud units to work on, I have bought a replacement screen for a Satellite 100-170. The original screen could be coaxed into life by flexing it a little - when it's display was perfect.
The original screen is a 15" XGA LG/Philips LP150X08, and so is the new one. Underneath the model number, however, there is "(TL)(A2)" on the original and "(TL)(A9)" on the replacement.
The replacement displays the top half pretty much ok apart from a thin red line from top to bottom and the bottom half is garbled.
Please see attachment.

My question is, have I bought a slightly different model or is the replacement screen also a dud? I think it's a dud.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

johnrobert
04-29-2012, 05:04 PM
I would connect it to an external monitor and if its OK I would say screen is bad

Chewie
04-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Oh yes, sorry to forget that. I have connected it to external and it works perfectly.

ITMAN
04-29-2012, 05:17 PM
If you move the screen and it flickers on why chane the LCD? More likely the cable from mb to screen

Chewie
04-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Not merely moving the screen, but actually flexing it - twisting it slightly diagonally; squeezing some areas along the top of the screen would also bring it up.
Moving the cable made no difference.

PCX
04-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Its either a dud or damaged during shipping.

PC-MOT
04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
I would agree with PCX, screen is prob a dud. check connections again, look for bent pins in socket, if all well, then dud screen, red lines and garbled half is a dead giveaway.

Chewie
04-29-2012, 08:40 PM
OK thanks for the input guys. I'll triple-check the connection again in the morning and get back on to the guy I got it from.
I am assuming that the (A2)/(A9) reference is a batch code as no-one has mentioned it!
Not an auspicous start for my first screen swap-out. :)

RedFoxComp
04-30-2012, 01:09 AM
OK thanks for the input guys. I'll triple-check the connection again in the morning and get back on to the guy I got it from.
I am assuming that the (A2)/(A9) reference is a batch code as no-one has mentioned it!

When you call to exchange it, I would leave out the part about you twisting and flexing it :D

uprighttech
04-30-2012, 02:35 AM

I'm not sure exactly what the (TL)(A2) and (TL)(A9) mean, but I know it is not a batch number and is at least somewhat significant in distinguishing that specific screen model. I always order the exact same screen model including the part in parenthesis. If you go on eBay or to a wesite like www.laptopscreen.com you will find the screen model numbers usually contain this part as well. You may not have a problem most of the time using just the first part of the number, but what can it hurt to just match the entire thing?

LSB
04-30-2012, 05:30 PM
That's definitely a screen problem.
Please note, these screens were made in 2006, and they actually go bad in storage =(

Technical issue: LCD driver flex-cable is getting separated from the glass LCD matrix.
Unrepairable.

P.S. (TL)(Ax) doesn't matter for these screens. In other screens it may mean a difference between TN and IPS (i.e. (TL) vs (SL) )

Encrypted Existence
04-30-2012, 05:38 PM
P.S. (TL)(Ax) doesn't matter for these screens. In other screens it may mean a difference between TN and IPS (i.e. (TL) vs (SL) )

I have no idea what you said up there^^^. Can you please elaborate a bit as I would like to have a clue. :) Thanks.

Chewie
04-30-2012, 05:46 PM
When you call to exchange it, I would leave out the part about you twisting and flexing it :DHaha, no it was the original that I was flexing. :)
Had noticed it flashing up as I adjusted the lid while viewing external... and played around with it a little. :D

I'm not sure exactly what the (TL)(A2) and (TL)(A9) mean, but I know it is not a batch number and is at least somewhat significant in distinguishing that specific screen model. I always order the exact same screen model including the part in parenthesis. If you go on eBay or to a wesite like www.laptopscreen.com you will find the screen model numbers usually contain this part as well. You may not have a problem most of the time using just the first part of the number, but what can it hurt to just match the entire thing?Most sellers (and I'm looking at 2nd user since this 1.4 Celeron unit isn't even worth that!) don't bother with the bracketed stuff. Went for this one as it was cheap and a 5 minute drive away.

That's definitely a screen problem.
Please note, these screens were made in 2006, and they actually go bad in storage =(

Technical issue: LCD driver flex-cable is getting separated from the glass LCD matrix.
Unrepairable.

P.S. (TL)(Ax) doesn't matter for these screens. In other screens it may mean a difference between TN and IPS (i.e. (TL) vs (SL) )Thanks, that's great information. I can get a refund and go for an even cheaper one!
Are you like Beeteljuice - someone mentions you in a forum and you pop up with the next post? LOL

rsarceno
04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Up until now I have not done anything more invasive to a laptop than changing a hard drive or adding RAM so I appreciate I am a novice on them.

In the future, you might want to check ScreenCountry.com. Not the cheapest but very competitive. The have a service where you can upload the pic of the screen and laptop. Then they will give you all the compatible screen. Very important with some screen like LED because there left and right connector which is somewhat confusing depending on how your looking at it. So far all screen I order from them are good. It also comes with 3 yrs min warranty. 5yrs is also available.

LSB
04-30-2012, 07:20 PM
I have no idea what you said up there^^^. Can you please elaborate a bit as I would like to have a clue. :) Thanks.

Ummm, from our observations the bracketed numbers can actually make a difference in a few scenarios.
These numbers can affect the firmware versions, bracket placement, connector placement and surface finish (matte/gloss)
But typically as long as (TL) is matched the number in brackets after (TL) will not usually affect compatibility.

Thanks, that's great information. I can get a refund and go for an even cheaper one!
Are you like Beeteljuice - someone mentions you in a forum and you pop up with the next post? LOL

Actually...yes...

In the future, you might want to check ScreenCountry.com. Not the cheapest but very competitive. The have a service where you can upload the pic of the screen and laptop. Then they will give you all the compatible screen. Very important with some screen like LED because there left and right connector which is somewhat confusing depending on how your looking at it. So far all screen I order from them are good. It also comes with 3 yrs min warranty. 5yrs is also available.

In this market prices are taken from new screens being sold on eBay. Technically ScreenCountry should be cheaper than eBay. You can even let them know if someone is selling screens cheaper on eBay provided that it is over 10 quantity, brand new, never used.

Chewie
05-01-2012, 12:05 AM
In the future, you might want to check ScreenCountry.com. Not the cheapest but very competitive. The have a service where you can upload the pic of the screen and laptop. Then they will give you all the compatible screen. Very important with some screen like LED because there left and right connector which is somewhat confusing depending on how your looking at it. So far all screen I order from them are good. It also comes with 3 yrs min warranty. 5yrs is also available.Have bookmarked both ScreenCountry and LaptopScreen for future reference. :)

Ummm, from our observations the bracketed numbers can actually make a difference in a few scenarios.
These numbers can affect the firmware versions, bracket placement, connector placement and surface finish (matte/gloss)
But typically as long as (TL) is matched the number in brackets after (TL) will not usually affect compatibility.I'm seeing quite a few with only (Ax) designation and no (TL). Steering clear to be on safer ground.

Chewie
05-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Got a refund, waited & finally got another screen at a sensible price on ebay and it's my first laptop screen fix done. :)