PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Ubuntu 12.04?

JW The Computer Guy
04-28-2012, 06:24 PM
I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my netbook (Toshiba NB305), and its running really well, my only complaint is battery life, I'm only able to get 5 hours out of it.

They changed the dash around a bit and removed the "browse web", "check email" and "listen to music" shortcuts. Now it displays the most recently used apps. Also, they now allow some customization of Unity: icon size, auto-hide, etc...

Overall I'm happy with the performance.

iisjman07
04-28-2012, 07:21 PM
I really liked it when I tried the beta. I'm one of those people who doesn't really mind Unity; there's an awful lot of people who can't stand it.

Slaters Kustum Machines
04-28-2012, 09:22 PM
I really liked it when I tried the beta. I'm one of those people who doesn't really mind Unity; there's an awful lot of people who can't stand it.

I would be one of those, seems "heavier" to me and I just don't like the look, but to each their own.

madmodder
04-29-2012, 11:59 PM
i was never a fan of unity, but i must say it is growing on me, im loving the new boot and shutdown times, ubuntu still has a long way to go before it can claim a larger stake in the desktop market think currently its around 2%, but it is shaping up very nicely, every release is going from strengh to strengh and who knows where it will be at in the next few years, im a strong beliver that ubuntu has prob the best chance of going head to head with win and oss in the desktop market.

JW The Computer Guy
04-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I would be one of those, seems "heavier" to me and I just don't like the look, but to each their own.

Unity is definately heavier, it runs so slow on one of my older desktop machines with an ATI Rage 128, no hardware acceleration whatsoever.
Xubuntu(XFCE) and Lubuntu(LXDE) are missing some dependancies and apps that regular Ubuntu has, so I usually install XFCE or LXDE (I prefer LXDE as it is very light-weight) on top of Ubuntu, so it retains all the dependancies and apps.

Somewhat unrelated but, in the past I've installed Debian with LXDE on a Pentium 133Mhz with 32mb ram and it ran fine without any hiccups.

jr866gooner
05-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Installed this on virtual box, like u.e look-this is my first look at ubuntu i don't have the intention of replacing win 7 but it looks nice. I have also noticed it to be sluggish- not sure if it helps that the os is residing on my usb hard drive but which version seemed better performance wise?

16k_zx81
05-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Installed this on virtual box, like u.e look-this is my first look at ubuntu i don't have the intention of replacing win 7 but it looks nice. I have also noticed it to be sluggish- not sure if it helps that the os is residing on my usb hard drive but which version seemed better performance wise?

That will be a factor. Do you have an esata enclosure?

jr866gooner
05-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Its just a free agent go seagate hd. Straight usb so nothing fancy...

Foxer
06-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Seeing 11.10 has a huge security breech in the kernel there's not much of choice.:eek:

MikeLierman
06-10-2012, 07:26 PM

I'd be one of them. Why? A very simple reason that can easily be solved, but they refuse to do so. I use two monitors. Unity can ONLY be on the left side of one of the monitors. It can't be moved. My left monitor is NOT my primary monitor because I'm not sitting directly in front of it. I'm sitting directly in front of the right monitor, so unity would make the most sense either on the bottom of the right monitor, the right of the right monitor, or top of the right monitor. Anywhere but the left side.

It also auto-hides, and unity is extremely laggy on my 6-core desktop w/ 8gb of ram and 1TB hard drive.

coffee
06-10-2012, 10:15 PM
Im one of those that hates Unity and Gnome3. They really dont make much sense to put on a production system. Im sure if it was on a smartphone I might feel different.

I do use 12.x on my server though. Its alright. Runs good.

On my 6core, 8meg ram system I run fedora 15 with Lxde. :D

iisjman07
06-11-2012, 06:31 AM
On my 6core, 8meg ram system I run fedora 15 with Lxde. :D

God coffee, leave some ram for the rest of us...

DanB
06-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Unity is ok. On a 22" screen i do not like having to move the mouse all the way to the left to use an apps menu when i am working in a small window on the right. I have been running lubuntu in virtualbox and it does everything i need, so will try it for awhile.

doortodoorgeek
08-17-2012, 05:13 AM
I like 12.04 a lot ......

After installing Awesome DE, XFCE or LXDE and stopped using Unity, it is just too heavy

Jsch38
08-21-2012, 05:40 PM
I was liking Unbuntu until they went with the HUD type of display.I prefer Mint for laptops and desktops. Has of more a Windows point and click feel to it.

nuleaf1
09-03-2012, 01:32 PM
I installed Ubuntu 12.04 to try it out as an alternative for customers who either didn't want a Windows os or couldn't afford Windows. I find it easy to use, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

JW The Computer Guy
09-07-2012, 03:57 AM
I installed Ubuntu 12.04 to try it out as an alternative for customers who either didn't want a Windows os or couldn't afford Windows. I find it easy to use, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Then they buy a piece of hardware that only works on Windows *cough* Lexmark printers *cough*. That's the problem most new linux users will have.

gunslinger
09-07-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm one of those people who cannot stand the unity interface. I like Lubuntu(LXDE) , Linux Mint and a distro called Kiwi. All basically Ubuntu with a decent IU.

bertie40
09-09-2012, 05:03 PM
I admit I'm not a linux fan, nevertheless I've had to adapt as my server runs Linux based AMAHI software, and AMAHI now supports Ubuntu O/S 12.04 as opposed to the previous Fedora 14.

(10 drives, 13TB space, ssd drive as the root drive, yes I'm bragging) :)

The biggest headache I've encountered is cutting out all the bloat that is installed during a "desktop" installation (as opposed to the headless " server" installation).

I don't want Bluetooth, libraoffice, games, chat, email, with the associated drivers loading automatically during booting.

What I wanted was something in between the two.

With respect to unity etc, I found it quite easy installing other desktop systems, and it is easy to switch between them. Just logout and switch.

Gnome, gnome3, classic gnome etc. no probs.

What I really miss is decent power management for my server / desktop machine.

Achilleos
11-19-2012, 05:43 AM
For running as a file server, I have found it to be great. Fast, efficent, and low power consumption was key for me installing it. For the desktop version, I wouldn't really suggest it unless you are new to Linux. Something for you to learn off of and then another version that is more you.

JustInspired
11-19-2012, 06:33 AM
I admit I'm not a linux fan, nevertheless I've had to adapt as my server runs Linux based AMAHI software, and AMAHI now supports Ubuntu O/S 12.04 as opposed to the previous Fedora 14.

I've seen that before when I was looking at setting up a home server a few years ago. Now that WHS has been shelved I am probably going to go with something different soon. Would you recommend Amahi?

bertie40
11-19-2012, 06:53 AM
.........Would you recommend Amahi?

Yep. I've run it for a couple of years now. I strongly advise a system with multiple hard drives.

It uses Greyhole which is a file "duplication" system. You choose a folder share and determine how many copies you want. It then duplicates those files across separate drives for safety.

The system runs each night at midnight, (or on demand)and checks for any new or changed files, and updates those copies accordingly.

It uses samba shares, and the file structure is available from other machines as \\hda. Ie. \\hda\music. Etc.

You load 12.04 first, then install Amahi on top of it. Amahi has a browser based GUI, but for the most part it runs in the background of Ubuntu.

The system only shows the single file in the file manager.

I actually have two servers, the second I use as a backup.

ReliefAshama
11-27-2012, 02:03 PM
As with anything else, the sexier stuff become popular while the reliable stuff gets shuffled to the background.

Ubuntu has always been unreliable. Use it and see.

coffee
11-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Ubuntu has always been unreliable. Use it and see.

I can only talk for ubuntu 12.04 server edition or possibly 11.04 desktop or before. Its stable.

The problem with most linux distros having issues is mostly the chipset or the video card. One must remember that "linux" is the kernel only. The programs that run from it are opensource software. With that in mind, The kernel is developed mostly thru reverse engineering of drivers. Not alot of help comes from manufactuers. What alot of people dont realize is that some hardware is still not compatible with linux. Take a lexmark printer for example. Not compatible. This applies to some controllers and chipsets also.

I know the intel chipset has been an issue for a while but is getting worked out. I had a compaq 800 series laptop that refused to boot linux. It would basically not recognize the hard drive controller. These things happen.

As far as individual programs are concerned - It all depends on how much support there is for the program. I know I had really bad issues with things like 'webcamstudio' but its mostly supported by one person. So development and bug fixing is slow.

What always makes me laugh is people load up Fedora and expect enterprise level performance and then complain when things dont work. Well, Fedora is the test bed for Redhat. Things are going to break. Thats the nature of the game there.

Each flavor of linux is developed with certain features in mind.

As far as something like Ubuntu, I find it quite reliable and have loaded it on many systems for residential customers. But not all hardware is compatible. Thats why you boot a live cd and check it out. Then if all works well you install it. I have since moved on to Mint and will be moving my residential customers to it as well. Its very nice and gets the job done.

Linux for the most part is rock solid and will outperform windows on less resources. Its my operating system of choice.

Best Regards,

coffee:)

ReliefAshama
11-27-2012, 02:36 PM
The OP's post was pretty ambiguous ;)

I cannot disagree with your assesment of Ubuntu as a server because I only run Debian for such a role. However, Ubuntu on the desktop is problematic.

coffee
11-27-2012, 04:07 PM
The OP's post was pretty ambiguous ;)

I cannot disagree with your assesment of Ubuntu as a server because I only run Debian for such a role. However, Ubuntu on the desktop is problematic.

I have to say, Dump Ubuntu and go with mint and the mate desktop. I just got done putting it on my dads laptop that ran vista business. It was a nightmare with vista.

I had to nuke and pave vista. I got it loaded and there was so much bloatware on the system I started uninstalling things. I got done and rebooted and installed avast antivirus. To be fair the laptop has 1 gig ram. I finally got tierd of vista and put mint on it. Runs like a champ!

I really like mint14. Its easy to get around and should be no problem for my dad.

Best Regards,

coffee

ReliefAshama
11-27-2012, 05:18 PM
My desktop is Debian - normally with openbox.

I had issue with Mint, as well.

GNU/Linux distributions based upon other distributions tend to be problematic unless you stay 'stock'.