PDA

View Full Version : Google Drive now available - anyone got a link for the desktop app?

FoolishTech
04-26-2012, 03:33 PM
I got a notice on my Apps account that Google Drive was now available for my domain.

The notice included mention of a desktop application designed for easy access to Drive, however I cannot find any link to download this mystery app. I'm wondering if it will allow access to Drive via an actual DRIVE LETTER assignment in Windows... that would be super sweet...

Anyone have a link, or know if it the software gives drive letter access?

I logged in to my Apps control panel and although my "Docs" setting has changed to say "Drive and Docs" I can't find a download link for this desktop app at all.

Of course, when I click the link in my notification email to access Google Drive it says it's "not ready yet." So maybe no one has the d/l link then... more importantly maybe Google jumped the gun when they emailed me saying Drive was available, as it appears it is not? I just figured it was part of Docs at first... perhaps it is separate despite the way my Apps config looks...

silvano
04-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Negative on drive letter. Just like dropbox, you assign a special folder. Navigate to drive.google.com, and then click notify. It seems to be taking about a day for them to activate individual "Drives". Forewarning, it REPLACES google docs. Storage upgrades are retardly cheap compared to competitors, and anything stored in google format or shared with you does not count towards your space allotment. Other than that, no lan sync yet, or encryption from what I can tell. Haven't looked to see what's available or possible yet, but I know they have at least announced APIs.

dannyict
04-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Wuala will give you 5gb and driveletter (it's from Lacie)

kevinjhaag
04-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Same here, Nick. Can't access my Google drive because its not ready. I read an article yesterday after i got my notification about it and basically Google jumped the gun to early.

kale76
04-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Here is a link to download the Google Drive application for Windows

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22296/Clients/googledrivesync.exe

VladD
04-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Gah, mine's not ready either. :(

nightkingdoms
04-27-2012, 11:28 AM
I got my notification and got my "drive" activated. I currently use Dropbox for, well, everything. Even with this new service, won't start using it anytime soon. The notice that I got said nothing about a Linux version and all my primary systems are Linux. *shrugs*

uprighttech
04-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Here is a link to the page for downloading the Windows Drive app. If you have Drive, there should be a link at the bottom of the left hand column where your folders are.

https://tools.google.com/dlpage/drive/

FoolishTech
04-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Somehow that link just redirected me to the page that said Drive wasn't ready yet... but this time is said Get Started, so I did. Thanks!

EDIT: ok so not drive letter access, but a folder in my user profile. Same difference and good enough for me!

Frick
04-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Here is a workaround to map your google drive folder to a drive letter:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/04/24/map-skydrive-dropbox-google-drive-to-drive-letters-in-windows/

It does require some 3rd party software, but has a small footprint and is is easy to setup/use.

FoolishTech
04-27-2012, 10:33 PM
actually I don't care that it is a drive letter specifically ...

but if I needed to go that route, 3rd party software?? wouldn't a simple SUBST work, don't ya think?

Even if not, I discovered a neat trick in programming a while back; the map network drive API allows you to actually map to a local folder, so I'm sure that would work as well.

Benchtech
04-27-2012, 10:35 PM
I got my account not to thrilled with it and still prefer my 18.5GB Dropbox account (referrals are easy to get).

andcorptech
04-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Here is a workaround to map your google drive folder to a drive letter:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/04/24/map-skydrive-dropbox-google-drive-to-drive-letters-in-windows/

It does require some 3rd party software, but has a small footprint and is is easy to setup/use.

It would be easier to share the folder and then map it the the shared URL. No third party software and done in 30 seconds

andcorptech
04-28-2012, 03:35 AM
It would be easier to share the folder and then map it the the shared URL. No third party software and done in 30 seconds

Edit: sorry should have read further. Someone beat me to it