PDA

View Full Version : Did you make your computer or Buy it?

ipodman
02-22-2006, 04:45 AM
Hello,

The computer you are using right now to look at this message, Did you buy that computer or did you build it yourself?

What are the specs of the computer and the price you bought it for?

Stealth
02-22-2006, 07:56 AM
The one I'm using right now is actually an upgrade from my old Athlon XP 2000+ box I bought four years ago. Though that one was assembled at the computer shop, I picked the components myself. It wasn't one of the pre-assembled machines they usually offer.The moment the warranty expired I cleaned it out and rebuilt it. So, once the new CPU (the A64), motherboard, memory and PSU arrived, I did the assembly at home since by now I know exactly what I'm doing any why.

Rªdì¢âl_£Ð
02-22-2006, 11:38 AM
My laptop was a hand-me-down. My new desktop was purchased from ABS. My previous desktop (which I broke the motherboard with an oversized CPU cooler) was built from a gutted hand-me-down. (At least the motherboard was nothing special. ABiT VA-10)

bongo
02-22-2006, 04:29 PM
i brought a hp computer last year..it was 3.0ghz and had a 17 inch tv..i think i brought it for SGD$2000..it was pretty enough powerful for all my graphics designing..:)

Stealth
02-22-2006, 10:45 PM
My previous desktop (which I broke the motherboard with an oversized CPU cooler) was built from a gutted hand-me-down. (At least the motherboard was nothing special. ABiT VA-10)

Just out of curiosity, was the oversized CPU cooler a Zalman or Thermaltake? Their recent heatsinks have gotten quite heavy, the 7000Cu was nearly 750g in weight.

Rªdì¢âl_£Ð
02-23-2006, 03:44 AM
Just out of curiosity, was the oversized CPU cooler a Zalman or Thermaltake? Their recent heatsinks have gotten quite heavy, the 7000Cu was nearly 750g in weight.

It was a Thermaltake Typhoon. It's the one with that giant fan and the heatpipes. And the thing is that I was trying to make it cool an Athlon XP2100+ and the motherboard's configuration didn't fit quite right. It was a stupid mistake but at least it gave me a reason to buy something more powerful. Now the Typhoon is sitting comfortably on top of my Athlon 64 3200+.

Durinthiam
02-24-2006, 03:50 PM
This is my baby rig, waiting for processor return for my Goliath :(

Always build my own

hwang
03-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Build it by myself, because it's easy later to improve them by removing and adding things you can buy.
Buy a computer, doesn't give a choice, if you want something better, then buy a new one.

Rus
03-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I started with my first PC 3 years ago when I bought all the parts, and a friend shown me how to put it together. After that I took it apart, modified the case and the fans and put it all together again, few times.

gunslinger
07-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Built it in febuary for $1960

Blues
07-19-2007, 02:17 PM
My first build was about 5-6 years ago and it just got pushed aside about 6 months ago. It had cost me around $1500 I believe my new build was $700 and ment to be inexpensive and slightly low powered. My laptop is a sony and I think set me back $1800 with tax software and everything else. The laptop is about 3 years old now and serves as a desktop which just runs basic apps.

camp.cool007
01-02-2009, 03:17 AM
My pastor actually dumped this laptop on me. It was missing a power cord, the screen wouldn't display anything, and the hard drive was full of junk. I bought a cheap power cord on e-bay, correctly placed the cord connecting the screen to the motherboard, and did a system format 2 or 3 times since then.

abe
01-02-2009, 04:17 AM
[QUOTE=camp.cool007;25744]and the hard drive was full of junk. [QUOTE]
what type of junk ;)

bigdippin
01-02-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm using my Toshiba Satellite laptop that I purchased in 2006 when my dell motherboard fried for the 2nd time. I'm satisfied with this laptop so I haven't upgraded it yet. But I will be building a new desktop soon.

Blues
01-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Well since this is revived heres an update. I have 2 custom built systems and 1 Dell laptop.

System 1
Name: Roll
Cost: ~$800
Function: Media Center
I use this to store the stuff I am currently watching it then gets deleted or moved to the next system. I have this hooked to my A/V Reciever and my HDTV so it looks good even though most of it is not in HD. I have a few games on it too.

System 2
Name: DrLight
Cost: ~1000
Function: Work Horse and File & Print Sharing
I use this to do more of my PC gaming as most my games are old and don't need high specs. I run my torrents here and store everything on its 2TB of storage. I also have the printer connected and shared though this PC.

Jory
01-02-2009, 05:29 PM
I bought this computer from Dell for around $700. When my old Athlon 1600+ finally died I decided to get a new computer and monitor since I only had a 15". I knew I wanted a C2D system with a 22" monitor so I waited around a couple weeks for a good Dell coupon and configured everything I wanted, and then built a system with similar specs at Newegg using the cheapest parts possible.

The Dell system was still like $200 cheaper even using junky parts from Newegg. So basically I got a free monitor out of the deal, and didn't have to put anything together. It only makes sense to build your own when you're going higher end.

Bullfighter
01-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Just bought a new Quad Core 6600, 64bit OS, 8GB RAM with 2 LG 22" Monitors. It's a Dell - I'm a firm believer that if I sell them, I should use them... It is a kick butt setup. I splurged on the ram and HDs so that I could setup a nice little virtual domain for testing.

EP

NYJimbo
01-06-2009, 09:48 PM
I haven't bought a whole machine since 1987. I've built at least 1000-1200 PC's since 1982 and all of my own since '87. The only time I will buy a whole machine is for a corporate client or if they are laptops, but even today I will buy discrete components for myself and our shop. Only a few machines were barebones (mb/chassis/pwr) in the past 5 years and just for nameservers and such.

Bullfighter
01-07-2009, 02:10 AM
In 1987 I was 13, playing on my grandfather's Apple IIe :) Probably why I have to wear glasses now... damn green and black screens.
:D
EP

ithinkyou5.0
01-08-2009, 09:13 AM
i gave a store a list of parts and got them to build it for me.. i also got very very ripped off :( and the wrong gfx card

Simmy
01-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Our servers have always been from Dell, but every other desktop machine is built by me.

No one sold a media center that would have been suitable in size and performance for my cabinet, so I put my own together.

As for my main desktop, I'm constantly upgrading that so it doesn't make sense to buy a ready built machine as I would just void the warranty.