PDA

View Full Version : Mac to PC Migration

tmichelsons
04-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Hi guys, so i have a new Windows 7 HP Laptop from a customer and his 5 year old MAC he's been using for his business, is there a way to move all his personal and business files off the MAC and onto the PC?
I am used to using FABS Autobackup 4 after purchasing it from this site, such a great product, looking for something like that to move all relevant files.
If anyone has any ideas please let me know!
I have searched technibble and google with minimal luck.
Thanks,
Tristan.

abbasmuraj
04-19-2012, 12:30 AM
if the files are documents, pictures, etc, its simply easy as copying them to a external drive and then transferring again back to the appropriate locations on the PC.

Other things like emails, you may need to provide more information as to what application is he running on the mac and also on the PC and we'll be able to assist.

CraiGDaniel
04-19-2012, 03:30 AM
Will be just the same as any other computer. File conversions may be required though. We could give you more info if you had specific files to get over.

If you're looking for an automated way of doing it, plug in a suitable size flash drive / hdd and perhaps use freeware such as silverkeeper.

http://www.lacie.com/silverkeeper/

Galdorf
04-19-2012, 03:38 AM
The only format that is common between mac and pc is fat32 so format usb flashdrive or external hard drive with fat32 and copy the files over.

altrenda
04-19-2012, 04:14 AM
I read and write files between my Snow Leopard and win 7 machines all the time.
Not sure what file conversion you would need, docx, jpg, mp3, etc. are the same on both. You can't run programs, of course.

if you're on a network you can mount the windows drive on the mac and drag and drop the files

this is a simple explanation
http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/556-windows-7-file-sharing-with-mac-os-x/
*I don't use the guest account, I log in with the windows user name and password.

going the other way I just drop the files in the dropbox in the Public Folder on the Mac.

not that difficult.