PDA

View Full Version : Been Robbed! - Nearly Insurance Raped!!

DCGPX
04-17-2012, 05:30 PM
Ok I was robbed last night..

Some thieving bar stewards stole the lead flashing off my bay window! I heard the noise but by time I actually woke up and went to look I didnt see anything so went back to bed.

Wife call when I'm out saying rain pouring into front room, so go back and thats when I realised whats happened! Checked top of bay and theys ripped the whole lot out its was a mess and half!

Called insurance who said I need police crime number before they can or will do anything, " What about the lake being createdin my room!"

No dice till I get a number from boys in blue.. great!

So I then enquire, like you do, what effect this will have on my insurance if I claim. After excess of 100 they would more than likely up my insurance by 15%!!!

Told them I'd get back..

Then I asked my business insurance what effect it might have if I claimed even though it wasnt even remotely business connected and they gleefully told me my inurance would go up there as well as I had had an insurance claim on the premises. Despite argueing it wasnt even related they still see it as an extra risk now!!

Had to cancel all appointments today and spend it all repairing frame and top of window, then reflashing and sealing it all again.

Not happy at all.

Bad enough to be robbed but to be raped twice by insurance is laughable, I hate insurance companies with a vengence!!

RANT over!!! Bad bad day!!

Dagooseisloose
04-17-2012, 06:58 PM
I love it how you can have insurance for years and never use it but when you do need it they raise your rate or drop you. How can this be legal?

Love2Tech
04-17-2012, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear that mate, it's quite sick really how insurance folks are allowed you bend you over and ask you to say "thank you", legal extortion at it's finest. When it comes to actually getting some value out of the money you pay them, they in turn try and hinder not help.

NETWizz
04-17-2012, 07:51 PM
I got the same kind of **** only with auto insurance.

My car was in a parking lot and some jerk smashed the door with his door making a giant dent.

I contacted my insurance which said they need me to get a report from the Police, so I had to take time off at lunch one day to get a report and was charged $50 by the police to make the report.

Once I got my copy, I faxed it to my insurance. Then I had to pay my full deductible and the damage got fixed, but it wasn't over.

Next thing I know I am getting letters from the State's Department of Motor Vehicles with a notice to suspend my "driving privledges" telling me that my insurance company needs to fax proof I am insured within 14 days or else I will loose my licence!

1. Since when am I guilty before proven innocent?
2. Why is it my freak-en problem when my insurance company can't do their job. Why should I loose my licence? Instead, maybe if they would be threatened with loss of their insurance licence, that might get them to comply.

3. I contacted my insurance company and they told me that they can't comply with the State's request because they don't have both sides of the police report. They have only one side. WTF? Why don't they get it?

4. I go back to the police department to get my other side and fax it to my insurance company and they told me it takes about two weeks. Um, by then I will loose my licence. No problem... $50 rush order they say... Come back tomorrow and we will have it.

5. Go back to Police Dept, Fax Document to insurance, and call State to file a complaint about the way they are treating me, the victim.

6. I told them that I read the law and it requires $1200 damage for an event to require a report that the motorist is insured to which they responded, then fax us the bill from the Body Shop. ****-monkeys! Again, more paperwork I need to do... I did it

Car got fixed and all was fine.

Cost was $100 in fees and $500 Deductible ($600). Total cost of damages was $570, so all of this because the insurance company wanted to be greedy about $70. <== I joked with the body shop it would have been $30 cheaper to pay out of pocket rather than go through insurance & a lot less hassle.

He laughed and said, we would have set our estimate at $1600.

Bottom Line, everybody is out to get you!

**** the Insurrance Company
**** the Police
**** the State DMV
**** the Body Shop

^^^ They are all conspiring to force you to go through the process and pay every other entity.... Then the "No-Fault" accident gets reported via the DMV and somehow adversely affects your rates even though it isn't supposed to.

Just saying. Everybody has a fee and a procedure, and they don't work well together completing the retired paperwork and faxing/receiving it. Seems they should have an electronic system:

I Propose:

1. You buy insurance and when you do you provide them your Driver's Licence Number and four (4) times a year EVERY insurance company that does business in that State should provide a dump (i.e. SQL Table) of all the Driver''s Licence Numbers they cover... The State can then cross-reference who is insured with whom in their own software and only screw with people who aren't insured. (i.e. Give the insurance companies 30 days to turn in their reports and if they don't do it revoke their licences to sell/renew policies)...

^^ Honestly, a few hundred thousand records are NOT hard to transfer. Why can't the State and Insurance Company's IT folks do it?

2. For No-Fault accidents, there should be a website where the police receptionist tells you to go and fill out your own report and a kiosk there to do it. Within two days they should automatically approve the report OR call you. Again, they are paid with tax money, so there should be no fee for this service!

3. Body shops should charge the same rate for out-of-pocket repairs as they do for insurance company repairs. Why is it the insurance companies with deep pockets pay less?

4. Any time they are going to suspend a licence, they shouldn't merely mail out threats via regular mail. They should instead give you about 30 days and properly serve you with a court date where you can A) Challenge, B) provide necessary documentation and get amnesty (provided you had it at the time of the event), or C) if you really weren't insured at the time, you should loose your licence via an actual court order where you are guilty of something. They should not be able to use a licence as a threat. To take it they should charge you with breaking the law and have to prove it.

indy-pc
04-17-2012, 08:06 PM
I am definitely not a fan of insurance companies, either. My dad always called it "legalized (and now forced) robbery" when I was a kid. It's exactly for these types of situations, too. The worst, I think, is when they up your rates because someone else in the are had a claim saying the area is now higher risk.

I've learned that not every insurance company is created equal. Talk to an *INDEPENDENT* insurance agent to find the best policy for your needs. Some companies won't raise your rates when you have a claim while others do. It's all in the fine print. Know and understand the differences and get one that suits your needs.

Another idea is to "self-insure". What I mean is get to a point where you have enough money sitting in an emergency fund (preferably collecting at least some interest) where you can just pay for most things on your own. When you do that, just carry the state/local minimum insurance with a catastrophic-only type of policy--something that covers like total loss situations. Yes, it would take a while to get to something like that and the dollar amount you'd need to have saved will vary (the Dave Ramsey rule of 6 months of expenses is a great rule of thumb), but then you won't get hosed by insurance companies every month.

DCGPX
04-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Just a necessary evil are insurance policies, what really got my gall was the unrelated incident affected my business rate or could have if I'd claimed, glad I didn't now

Don't know who are the biggest thieves the gits who took my flashing or the parasitic insurance companies.

I can feel my rant returning !!!

MotzTech
04-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Talk to an *INDEPENDENT* insurance agent to find the best policy for your needs.

Very wise advice, I have an agent that handles my car insurance. He is my main contact for all my issues (billing, accidents, new cards, etc). I have made a few claims over the years and I have never had problems like this.

papuchazo
04-18-2012, 02:44 AM
I got the same kind of **** only with auto insurance.

My car was in a parking lot and some jerk smashed the door with his door making a giant dent....

Read your whole post, I'm mad and I'm not even the one getting shafted... WOW! I feel for you.

sassenach
04-18-2012, 06:45 PM
You may still get shafted because you told them there was a possibility of a claim and there is every chance they have already marked you as a higher risk.

colonydata
04-18-2012, 07:20 PM
1. You buy insurance and when you do you provide them your Driver's Licence Number and four (4) times a year EVERY insurance company that does business in that State should provide a dump (i.e. SQL Table) of all the Driver''s Licence Numbers they cover... The State can then cross-reference who is insured with whom in their own software and only screw with people who aren't insured. (i.e. Give the insurance companies 30 days to turn in their reports and if they don't do it revoke their licences to sell/renew policies)...

The State of Georgia Does this, although it is by VIN number of the car not by driver. Law enforcement has access to a database that they can run a vin number and get the registration and insurance status. i belive it is done every 14 days in georgia. im not sure if it is just a data dump or an api or what though.

2. For No-Fault accidents, there should be a website where the police receptionist tells you to go and fill out your own report and a kiosk there to do it. Within two days they should automatically approve the report OR call you. Again, they are paid with tax money, so there should be no fee for this service!

problem is if it is self serve there is no way to verify it truly was a no fault accident and not two people trying to defraud the insurance company. 50 dollars a copy is a bit extreme, i had to get a police report for insurance once and needed two copies. the first certified copy was free, and the second one was like 2 dollars.

3. Body shops should charge the same rate for out-of-pocket repairs as they do for insurance company repairs. Why is it the insurance companies with deep pockets pay less?

then you would be infringing on two private entities rights to do business. its no different than if i sold you one computer service or part and gave you one price, while someone else that orders alot of them i give them a lower price.

4. Any time they are going to suspend a licence, they shouldn't merely mail out threats via regular mail. They should instead give you about 30 days and properly serve you with a court date where you can A) Challenge, B) provide necessary documentation and get amnesty (provided you had it at the time of the event), or C) if you really weren't insured at the time, you should loose your licence via an actual court order where you are guilty of something. They should not be able to use a licence as a threat. To take it they should charge you with breaking the law and have to prove it.

at least in Georgia Licences such as corporations, professionals and drivers licences are a function of the executive branch, which falls under administrative law and regulations rather than the judicial branch. the way most laws are written it gives the executive branch agency leway to implement the process as they see fit. you would have to pass a law to accomplish that. Not to mention the court system is already jamed as it is, this would make it worse. when 99% of the time the executive branch is perfectly capable of handling it.

rsarceno
04-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Sorry you got rob. Thank God you and your family didn't get hurt.

Cadishead Computers
04-19-2012, 07:01 AM
I'm with you on this one Donald.

After suffering with my two robberies in the workshop last year, I changed insurance companies (after all the hassle I had with them.)

Fast forward to this year, and early March. Did my usual calling around for business insurance, and was amazed that 2 companies, would not insure me for theft!.

Even though I was not paid out last year, and the 2nd robbery no claim was made, it was only a information call. They would insure me for the usual stuff, but not for theft!

Only company who would, were my current insurers. Luckily at the same rate as last year, so it's only costing me around 28.00 pr month.

tankman1989
04-19-2012, 07:59 AM
I have an offer you can't refuse...

PCS
04-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Im affraid there might still be premium hike at your next renewal. BBC Watchdog did a report either earlier this year or late last year, with people who had called their insurance to enquire about procedure or excess after an accident, theft or building fault, but then decided to not go through with a claim. When it came time to renew, their premium went up and so did the quote from other insures because the shared insurance db classed them as a high risk due to their admission of having an accident or theft.