PDA

View Full Version : RAM Question

mau64
04-16-2012, 01:11 AM
I got an Acer Aspire 5251 sitting here in front of me and am stumped about the RAM issue I'm seeing. Under my computer/properties, it shows that 2GB of ram is installed but only 763MB is usable. I was looking around online and seen something about Memory Remapping but don't see where I can turn that option on at all.

This is a windows 7 64b machine. I need your help fellas.

Cornerstone Technologies
04-16-2012, 01:19 AM
I would imagine that a portion is allocated towards the graphics processor, but it is unlikely that nearly 75% would be. Have you run any kind of hardware tests? Have you done other troubleshooting? Have to give us more to show what you have actually done so we don't waste any of our time.

gazza
04-16-2012, 03:08 AM
Could the memory possibly be high density ram?

Run memtest to make sure the ram is OK, switch out the ram for known working ram to see if you get the same problem.

Jeffreynya
04-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Could be a power setting. Set it to desktop and see if that helps. Also check to see if hte intel speed step in the Bios is on as I have seen that cause the issue. I have only noticed this on XP machines though, so not sure if it would effect 7 or not.

mau64
04-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I ran Memtest and came back with no issues. I'm going to try and swap the ram out tonight. Hopefully it just needs replaced.

YeOldeStonecat
04-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Is this memory certified compatible/approved for use in this specific make/model laptop? (such as you run through the RAM selection guide at www.crucial.com)

Or did you just grab "any old stick of what appeared to be the correct speed memory" and slam it in there?

Jeffreynya
04-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Or did you just grab "any old stick of what appeared to be the correct speed memory" and slam it in there?

Is that not standard practice?

mau64
04-17-2012, 12:54 PM
It ended up being a RAM issue. He had 2 1GB sticks of DDR3 and I took one out and it booted, swapped them with the other and it wouldn't get past a black screen, the HDD would barely spin an just stop dead.

With that 1GB in there it still only said 763MB available but now I know he had a stick of bad RAM.

PCX
04-17-2012, 01:12 PM
So if its a memory issue, then I have to ask, how long did you run memtest for? Also, I am assuming that you used memtest86+ and not that piece of crap memtest that comes with windows right?

Jeffreynya
04-17-2012, 02:49 PM
And are you sure its not a bad memory slot. Did you try the working memory in both?