PDA

View Full Version : Iphone repairs

anglian
04-11-2012, 02:19 PM
I thought I would start promoting Iphone repairs on my site.
I have no experience repairing them, although I have owned one for a while, and am pretty handy at this kind of thing.
So I get my first call for a battery replacement today.

Decided I should practise a bit, even though it looks pretty simple after watching a couple of videos, and as I already have an Iphone I made the decision to pull the wifes Iphone apart.
20 Minutes later I had it fully dissambled on my workbench.
Wish I had a camera handy to capture the expression on her face when she saw it!

I was very surprised how easy it was to fully disassemble and put back together. Would recommend anyone to give it a try (maybe buy a broken one on Ebay first if a bit unsure)

Martyn
04-11-2012, 02:26 PM
I thought I would start promoting Iphone repairs on my site.
I have no experience repairing them, although I have owned one for a while, and am pretty handy at this kind of thing.
So I get my first call for a battery replacement today.

Decided I should practise a bit, even though it looks pretty simple after watching a couple of videos, and as I already have an Iphone I made the decision to pull the wifes Iphone apart.
20 Minutes later I had it fully dissambled on my workbench.
Wish I had a camera handy to capture the expression on her face when she saw it!

I was very surprised how easy it was to fully disassemble and put back together. Would recommend anyone to give it a try (maybe buy a broken one on Ebay first if a bit unsure)

I've done a few and thought about offering the service as well. There are a lot of youngsters dropping their phones after a few drinks. :D

Rob_NNCC
04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
I find the phones the easiest to repair. The iPads and the iPods can be more difficult.

Good for you expanding and growing your business. I am not sure how thrilled my wife would be if I took her iPhone apart with out her knowing though... You must have an understanding spouse.

'putertutor
04-11-2012, 04:41 PM
My wife just got her iPhone a few days ago. If I dared to so much as add an app to it at this point, I'm pretty sure she would consider that grounds for divorce.

angry_geek
04-11-2012, 06:33 PM
http://www.etechparts.com/Wholesale-iPhone-Parts-s/371.htm

It can be quite lucrative.

AlaDes
04-11-2012, 07:19 PM
As far as screen replacements, all of them are fairly easy to do except the latest iPod, which is a PITA, to say the least. Another one I don't care for is replacing batteries in the iPhone 3G/GS because of the soldering required.

anglian
04-11-2012, 08:01 PM
As far as screen replacements, all of them are fairly easy to do except the latest iPod, which is a PITA, to say the least. Another one I don't care for is replacing batteries in the iPhone 3G/GS because of the soldering required.
Fortunately I have been soldering circuit boards for years so am pretty good at it, and I just bought a new reflow & solder station which is beautiful. I want to take things apart just to resolder them for fun!! :D:D:D

Rob_NNCC
04-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Fortunately I have been soldering circuit boards for years so am pretty good at it, and I just bought a new reflow & solder station which is beautiful. I want to take things apart just to resolder them for fun!! :D:D:D

Nice. I do electronics as a hobby, and with everything going to SMD and BGA, I have had to 'dead bug' some BGAs, not fun but it is amusing to look at afterwards. I have been wanting to get a hot air rework station and finish my CNC for a while now.

Back on topic, yes, I just replaced the headphone jack in a 3rd gen iPod, that was not too bad, I just had to set the iron temp at a level where it would not melt the Mylar cable.

anglian
04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Nice. I do electronics as a hobby, and with everything going to SMD and BGA, I have had to 'dead bug' some BGAs, not fun but it is amusing to look at afterwards. I have been wanting to get a hot air rework station and finish my CNC for a while now.

Back on topic, yes, I just replaced the headphone jack in a 3rd gen iPod, that was not too bad, I just had to set the iron temp at a level where it would not melt the Mylar cable. Before I got into the hosting biz in the 90's I was working as an electrical engineer for Okuma in Germany, mostly the bigger machining centres like http://www.wotol.com/images/thumbs/800x800/253992_135de2e0dac1cc1cc033c6ee6843bc3e.jpg

Quite often we had to make or modify PCB's, Axis boards and I/O boards to attach robots, pallet changers & tool changers. Quite unerving when soldering onto a board worth 20,000 which is part of a 1.5 million machine.

'putertutor
04-12-2012, 03:05 AM
http://www.wotol.com/images/thumbs/800x800/253992_135de2e0dac1cc1cc033c6ee6843bc3e.jpg

Quite often we had to make or modify PCB's, Axis boards and I/O boards to attach robots, pallet changers & tool changers. Quite unerving when soldering onto a board worth 20,000 which is part of a 1.5 million machine.

JEEZ!! How big was the soldering iron for that thing??:D

AlaDes
04-12-2012, 10:34 AM

Since you have allot of experience, you have probably used various work stations. What would you say is the best station there is? I've got a Blackjack II that I purchased a few years ago but it's about useless. Although it has a soldering iron, desoldering gun, and a hot air gun, I don't even use it anymore because the temperature won't stabilize any more. My cheap Weller soldering iron actually does a better job than the workstation does.

anglian
04-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Since you have allot of experience, you have probably used various work stations. What would you say is the best station there is? I've got a Blackjack II that I purchased a few years ago but it's about useless. Although it has a soldering iron, desoldering gun, and a hot air gun, I don't even use it anymore because the temperature won't stabilize any more. My cheap Weller soldering iron actually does a better job than the workstation does. Weller make pretty decent products at reasonable prices, I always have one of their gas soldering irons laying around.
The rework station I just bought is an Aoyue 2703A+ which, although only used a couple of times, has proven to be very good. It heats up quick and is comfortable and easy to use.

Rob_NNCC
04-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Before I got into the hosting biz in the 90's I was working as an electrical engineer for Okuma in Germany, mostly the bigger machining centres like

Nice! I am still going to school to get my BS in EE, looks like it will take me at least 10 years to get as I have been doing it on/off while working and being a father.

I do not have the skill to solder onto boards with that level of cost. I would simply not be able to. My hands shake from lead poisoning as a teen and from medications I am taking. When I am nervous it just gets worse. I have a hard time controlling RC vehicles (planes and cars) for my son sometimes as it gets worse when I am nervous I am going to crash it.

trinetcr
04-18-2012, 06:58 PM
So did you move forward? How is it going for you?

ck1402
04-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Have been wanting to dabble into this as well. Good idea on practicing on a broken one. :) Let us know how it goes!

CraiGDaniel
04-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Just to but in here - iphone repairs are really really easy. Not to mention the huge market for them, especially cracked screens.

You'd be silly to miss out.

anglian
04-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Just to but in here - iphone repairs are really really easy. Not to mention the huge market for them, especially cracked screens.

You'd be silly to miss out.
I have been offering iPhone repairs for 2 weeks now, and changed 2 screens and 4 batteries. Quite easy work, although I am probably a bit slower than I should be on the screens until I have a bit more experience, and very profitable.

Martyn
04-19-2012, 08:21 AM
I have been offering iPhone repairs for 2 weeks now, and changed 2 screens and 4 batteries. Quite easy work, although I am probably a bit slower than I should be on the screens until I have a bit more experience, and very profitable.

What would be a decent labour charge for a screen? I did about 6 Iphone 3Gs some time ago and bought the screens off Ebay aand i'm thinking of offering it as a service soon.

anglian
04-19-2012, 09:16 AM
What would be a decent labour charge for a screen? I did about 6 Iphone 3Gs some time ago and bought the screens off Ebay aand i'm thinking of offering it as a service soon.
I am charging 35 for a battery change and 85 for a screen change, prices include parts. so make about 30 & 55 respectively.

10 mins to change a battery and (at the moment) about 45-60 mins to change a screen on an iPhone4

rsarceno
04-19-2012, 10:02 AM
Beside the screen and battery, are there other things to services on an iPhone?

Thanks

anglian
04-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Beside the screen and battery, are there other things to services on an iPhone?

Thanks
I don't get involved in trying to repair ios issues. I would restore to factory & make sure that everything is up to date if asked, but this is so easy for clients to do themselves I doubt it would bring in much work.

As for hardware, just about all the components are available on eBay. Just search for "iphone spares" and you can get a rough idea how much each component costs. It is surpriingly easy to totally break down an iPhone 4. I haven't had the pleasure of doing much on iPhone3 or 4S yet.

Boston Pro Comp Serv LLC
04-19-2012, 05:45 PM
I saw post for parts early in this post thought I would throw another up, I've seen the link posted here before but not in this thread this place seems to have really good prices on the screens somewhere around 35$ for an Iphone 4 screen that I see on onther sites for 45$ and up..

https://www.wholesalegadgetparts.com/home.php

anglian
04-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Screens are about 25 here, so $35 is not far off.

alexinsc86
04-21-2012, 06:16 AM
Hey anglian, I was hoping you could help me with something. Im new to using hot air and I just purchased the same unit as you, Aoyue 2703A+, but it doesnt seem to blowing that much air out of it and I was wondering if thats how this unit is or if I received a defective unit. I removed the red bottom screw before I hooked anything up or gave the unit power as it stated to do so on the warning label, but I can only feel the air flow from about an inch to two inches away from the nozzle, even if I increase the air flow. I know this unit has the new turbine tube installed and I was thinking maybe that is restricting the air flow. I just want to be sure I have a properly functioning unit before I attempt to use it on anything. Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

anglian
04-21-2012, 06:40 AM
Hi,
Sounds about right to me. The main thing to check is the temperature of the air about 1/2" from the nozzle as this will be where most of the work happens.
It shoud put out about 23l/minute

Not the same model but checkout http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-6vPyG8MGA

And definately practice removing components from an old mobo or similar!

alexinsc86
04-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Thank you for the quick reply. I just wanted to know if it was faulty or not, compared to a standard heat gun these things are very different. I'll be using BGA netted nozzles mostly which are about an inch and a half away from the tip of the hot air gun so I guess everything will work according to plan. I have a few scrap boards to try while I figure out my profiles and before I work on anything small. One last question, while using the hot air gun, do you leave one of the vacuum tubes from your iron or desolder gun on the air port or the standard mesh smoke absorber cap? I've noticed different levels of air pressure on the meter if I have a tube for another device attached to the port or the plain old cap. There really isnt a lot of info on people using this system yet so I figured it would be best to ask you.

anglian
04-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Thank you for the quick reply. I just wanted to know if it was faulty or not, compared to a standard heat gun these things are very different. I'll be using BGA netted nozzles mostly which are about an inch and a half away from the tip of the hot air gun so I guess everything will work according to plan. I have a few scrap boards to try while I figure out my profiles and before I work on anything small. One last question, while using the hot air gun, do you leave one of the vacuum tubes from your iron or desolder gun on the air port or the standard mesh smoke absorber cap? I've noticed different levels of air pressure on the meter if I have a tube for another device attached to the port or the plain old cap. There really isnt a lot of info on people using this system yet so I figured it would be best to ask you.

I always have the desoldering gun attached. as it's useful to have available whether reworking or soldering.

Hitman92
04-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Sorry to get a bit off topic from you guys talking about your rework stations but as this is a iPhone repair thread I figured I would make a post.
I've done about 10 of each generation of iPhone and its fairly easy and makes a good deal of profit.
For the iPhone 3gs I can get the digitizer for $20(CAN) and I put it in for $35 screen included.
I have also done iPod touch's but there a lot more finicky and you can't charge as much. :p

CraiGDaniel
04-22-2012, 12:35 AM
think i saw 80-90 for a iphone screen? damn.

The local phone repair shop here charges 60 and thats the most expensive shop!

Anything more than 50 people just cant afford it! I must be in a seriously poor area -

Hitman92
04-22-2012, 01:48 AM
think i saw 80-90 for a iphone screen? damn.

The local phone repair shop here charges 60 and thats the most expensive shop!

Anything more than 50 people just cant afford it! I must be in a seriously poor area -

No one would even consider paying that where I live in Canada.
That would be $120 :eek:

Encrypted Existence
04-22-2012, 04:36 AM
No one would even consider paying that where I live in Canada.
That would be $120 :eek:

Somewhere around $100 is the going rate for an iPhone screen replacement where I'm at. I live in a wealthy area (top 20 wealthiest counties in the country) so people are definitely more willing to spend the money.

anonymous Mac Tech
05-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Not really trying to dredge up an aging thread but I didn't want to create a new thread and just thought I'd stick it onto this thread (seems appropriate). But speaking of iphone repairs (http://www.itnews.com.au/News/299453,botched-repair-likely-cause-of-rexs-smoking-iphone.aspx).