PDA

View Full Version : Imac a1058 g5?

Boston Pro Comp Serv LLC
04-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm new to Macs, real new. Anyhow, when it powers on it says the computer needs to be restarted, upon restart it displays the same. Restarting holding the X key did nothing different, restarted holding the option key selected the only icon on the screen which was a HDD pic with an X in the lower right hand corner, still same result. Also tried Command-Option-P-R on start up same result. Like I said I am new to Macs, so what's next?

Thanks!

04-10-2012, 07:55 PM
So.... If this were a PC, what would you do? Holding the key combos you did is the equivalent of using a boot menu and resetting the bios on a PC....not much of a test of anything.

If it were me, I'd test the hardware. If you don't have hardware tests to run on a PPC mac, you could pull the hdd and ram to test in a pc.

compnet
04-10-2012, 08:53 PM
you could pull the hdd and ram to test in a pc.

This. usually macs that say they need to restart on boot are bad memory in my experience. Those white imacs are horrible for blowing up caps though, I think the last 10 I've had in my shop all had multiple blown caps. Thankfully they are one of the only macs that are actually easy to open up and check stuff out/switch ram around.

Boston Pro Comp Serv LLC
04-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the push in the right direction, I was thinking that if this were a PC what would I do... anyhow, it does look like some of the caps are swollen, but not bursting. I couldn't reach the built in HW test, until I pulled a stick of RAM now I can. Thanks again, this is seriously the first MAC I have ever tried to diagnose.