PDA

View Full Version : Strange ADSL Disconnection Error

PBComputer
04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Hello

I'm currently working on a job, where when you try and print from the internet, the internet disconnects. i have being on site today and i could not replicate the fault. but as soon as i leave i get back to the office, it does it again. Has anyone heard of a similar fault?

Its Windows XP with a Kodak Printer (connected via usb), all patches installed.

Knightsman
04-10-2012, 03:18 PM
Is this a laptop?

I would wonder if the laptop is disconnecting from the wifi to connect to another network, and the customer thinks its disconnected from the internet or something.

Is there 2 actual printers under printers, like one for usb and one for wifi?

PBComputer
04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
It's a desktop, just one printer installed. and connected via CAT5/6 Cable - also the are using IE8 :mad:

I'm just starting to think maybe browser related?

Tekko
04-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Try a software printer.

If it causes the same issue its an OS related issue and we'll troubleshoot accordingly, if not we'll know if a problem specific to that printer and its drivers/software.

frase
04-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Does the client use a faxing service, have alarm system or other phones installed on the line? I would suspect it may be due to Line Attenuation + Noise within the line.

Make sure filters are correctly installed, test with different phone cables to the line - basically can you do an 'isolation test on the line' with just the modem connected to the line and see if it de-synchs or not.

Most modems come with a stats tool to view line attenuation and noise issues, which are the common causes of sych issues. Is the printer connected wi-fi or via usb. As it only needs to be connected one or the other. It would not be browser related at all, its a configuration issue, a conflict which I would narrow down to cabling.

PBComputer
04-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Its ADSL related, as it takes the router about 15 minutes to connect.

No Faxing service or alarm systems. all phone sockets have being tested.

While on my way back from a job in the same village i say a BT engineer so stopped for a chat. and was told the line was needing replaced, as it's the in very poor condition and has water leaking onto it. So i've contacted the ISP and BT to get this fixed. Got a engineer booked for next week. and will see what happens. i'm planning to be on site when they arrive to make sure they actually fix it. if not i'm ready for round two!

YeOldeStonecat
04-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Did you test the router and its connection from another computer? Meaning...perhaps this affected computer loses its TCP/IP and winsock when it tries to print..and it loses internet for a while..and the user thinks it's the router.

Snag a laptop..connect to this router..run a ping -t to some public IP. Then have the affected computer print from the 'net....use your laptop and it's stream of pings to see if the router actually bonks out.

PBComputer
04-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Tried two laptops and my Ipad, and a three routers. It's not the pc - tested at mine - no problem. I have seen it a few times drop connection and logged in to the router. Defo the telephone line at fault. -

Paul
Cumbria Computer Repairs