PDA

View Full Version : Cisco/Linksys started warrenty "clock" on new product before it was sold

tankman1989
04-06-2012, 03:09 AM
I bought a new router (WRT160N) for resale and Cisco/Linksys started the warranty before the unit was used or sold. It is now NIB on the shelf and the warranty has already run out. I haven't even had this thing for a year yet my warranty is out. Cisco wants $29.99 for 6 months support and $39.99 for a year!!

Does this sound normal? I asked tech support how the warranty could have started when the product has not been used or registered and they just avoided the question.

Their support is also from the Phillipenes but the IP's are masked to make it look like Irvine CA. This is yet again another time that these outsourced support people don't answer questions and avoid the issue being asked. I specifically asked when the warranty started and how did they know to start it. I said that I haven't even owned this thing for a year yet my year warranty is out already! How can businesses resell anything with businesses like this!?

andcorptech
04-06-2012, 03:45 AM
Did you buy it as a consumer or reseller. Some manufacturers track serial number sales from wholesalers and consider a purchase from a "consumer" store an end user purchase

ICEinLAVA
04-06-2012, 05:00 AM
unless you purchased the product from the manufacturer (Cisco/Linksys), warranty should have started based on the date you purchased it from what ever company your bought it from, regardless of purchase as consumer or for resell.

Some companies go by the date that the product was made, which is not an accurate warranty date, since it could have sat it their warehouse. Normally the manufacturer date is to help the company track problems with their product lots.

NWPhotog
04-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Does this sound normal? I asked tech support how the warranty could have started when the product has not been used or registered and they just avoided the question.

Yes, most manufacturers will base a warranty on date of manufacture plus a small distribution/sale period unless the warranty is validated with a proof of purchase from an authorized reseller. How old was the part when you bought it? Did you purchase it from an authorized Cisco distributor? Are you an authorized Cisco reseller?

mraikes
04-06-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't normally stock items for resale, so the thought of when warranties begin and end isn't even on my radar.

So I'm curious how you discovered this. If it's on the shelf, NIB for resale, how did you find out the warranty was expired?

tankman1989
04-06-2012, 07:11 PM
I did buy it from Newegg but I thought it wouldn't start the warranty at the time of sale. The strangest part so far is that I bought this stuff in late May of last year yet my 1 year warranty is already up! Cisco said they would support it if I had a reciept with the sales date or if a customer had a reciept with my sale/transaction to them - dated.

andcorptech
04-07-2012, 12:07 AM
I did buy it from Newegg but I thought it wouldn't start the warranty at the time of sale. The strangest part so far is that I bought this stuff in late May of last year yet my 1 year warranty is already up! Cisco said they would support it if I had a reciept with the sales date or if a customer had a reciept with my sale/transaction to them - dated.

Then its a non issue ?? Once you sell it the warranty "clock" will begin again. Unless you are not going to give the customer a dated receipt.

ICEinLAVA
04-09-2012, 04:26 AM
Well regardless of selling it to a customer or still having it, the receipt from your newegg purchase is valid enough. Reprint the invoice and call it done.

Then its a non issue ?? Once you sell it the warranty "clock" will begin again. Unless you are not going to give the customer a dated receipt.
Yeah and then another year goes by and they resell it back to you. Wow, we just created a 3 year warranty. At some point the manufacturer is going to tell you no, and with the manufacturer date code, i would be surprised it they warranty it a few months past the one year mark of the date code.

This is another good reason not to stock product that doesn't move very fast. Although i completely understand that having stock on had gets your happy customers up and running again faster. but it is difficult to predict that hardware is going to be needed unless you buy and sell a lot of product. I would keep some basic hardware on stock but nothing that would change in price very much. Mostly just power supplies, DVD+-RW dvrive, and a few cables. everything else, the price changes to fast and i didn't want to hold onto stock for long.

Cornerstone Technologies
04-09-2012, 07:35 PM

Buying from NewEgg to resell is the problem. If you had a proper vendor like D&H or Ingram Micro, you might be able to work with different terms. Besides that, I have found that it is pretty futile to stock many things in the hopes that someone might want to buy from me rather than Staples. I stock a few basics, but routers tend to be a money loser depending on the volume you actually have.