PDA

View Full Version : How many here use linux or used it before?

a1whs.com
02-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Hello,
Has anyone here used linux here and if so which one. Well i got mandrake , Centos on my system with win 98 win 2003 also :).

So how many of you guys use linux now a days and how many have used shell and know how to use it?

Bryce W
02-22-2006, 03:20 AM
I have Mandrake dual booting on my Lappy with XP. I have linux as my home firewall. I use shell ALL the time but only web server related stuff (as I run dedicated servers). Just webby jobs such as mysqldumps, edits to httpd.conf, top, taring and gzipping when backing up, reboots and such when there are high loads and if needed tweaks to slowdown/stop ddos attacks.

ipodman
02-22-2006, 04:47 AM
Hi,

What quit a weird thing is that my nana who is 67 years old uses Linux on a daily bases. She’s like the top dog of Linux and know it by the back of hear hand.

Stealth
02-22-2006, 08:00 AM
I don't have Linux installed on my machine yet, but I've been using Slackware on other people's machines, Sun Solaris OS at the university since it's the server backbone... and that's about it. I'm planning on reacquiring my old CelA333 and refurbishing it into a hardware firewall/gateway, but I'm not sure which distro will go on yet.

Bryce W
02-22-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm planning on reacquiring my old CelA333 and refurbishing it into a hardware firewall/gateway, but I'm not sure which distro will go on yet. Try Smoothwall. Its a very very nice, easy to setup linux distro dedicated to being a firewall. http://www.smoothwall.org/

Rªdì¢âl_£Ð
02-22-2006, 11:50 AM
I have been using Suse primarily ever since I started playing with Linux. My old desktop had Suse 10.0 before the motherboard broke and my new desktop has Suse 10.0 as well. My laptop used to have Suse 10.0 but due to issues with the graphics card, touchpad, and the fact that I only have a 60GB hard drive, I removed the partition and frugal installed Damn Small Linux 2.0. I have also been trying to use coLinux and Debian as well but networking problems have made installing software a problem.

bongo
02-22-2006, 04:36 PM
linux is quite cool but the problem is that it is not user-friendly like windows..i think its more cater to programmers..lol..many parts u have to code..but have a fun time playing that..

ipodman
02-22-2006, 08:44 PM
linux is quite cool but the problem is that it is not user-friendly like windows..i think its more cater to programmers..lol..many parts u have to code..but have a fun time playing that..
I understand what you mean when you say its not user friendly, For me i had to have some one show me how to use the software.

Stealth
02-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Try Smoothwall. Its a very very nice, easy to setup linux distro dedicated to being a firewall

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot.

bongo: Actually, linux is very user friendly, in both command-line and GNOME/KDE graphical interface varieties. It's just a matter of learning how to move through it, and paying attention to where each program or library sets its files.

Rus
02-26-2006, 07:51 AM
I have win2k/slack10.2 dual boot, but I like slack more than win :)

a1whs.com
02-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Hey has firefox version (latest one ) released for linux distributions cause all i do is browse the web and ftp my server and do ssh most of the time so it would be great if i could get firefox working on centos :).

Durinthiam
02-26-2006, 02:00 PM
firefox for linux - http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Mozilla_Firefox_for_Linux/1032985422/2

Rus
02-26-2006, 02:30 PM
I forgot to answer where and how I'm using linux. I'm using it on my home PC 99% of the time for everithing I can think of :) From browsing, playing audio/video to database administration, programing, sistem administartion, ...
1% is win because linux has no good alternative for AutoCAD and similar programs.

Bryce W
02-26-2006, 04:13 PM
1% is win because linux has no good alternative for AutoCAD and similar programs.
Thats kind of ironic, seeing that Cad was originally 100% unix based.

Rus
02-27-2006, 02:00 AM
I heard that autodesk released some of its code as open source, I hope some day soon AutoCAD will have a wersion for linux, even if it's not free, becauce my universitiy would by a licence for it, we already have licenced AutoCAD.

Thats my main drawback for linux.

Rus
02-27-2006, 09:10 AM
Hey has firefox version (latest one ) released for linux distributions cause all i do is browse the web and ftp my server and do ssh most of the time so it would be great if i could get firefox working on centos :).

Here are all of the latest firefox versions:
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all.html

hwang
03-01-2006, 07:35 AM
I want to use, unfortunately I don't have it.
Just for trying, I have never used another OS that Windows, trying new things that could be better is not bad.

tkrabec
03-16-2007, 05:49 PM
I love Linux. I've got 2 web servers currently running on it (1box was added about 2 years ago, the other is about the 3th incarnation of my primary box). I use Linux at my day job for A proxy server, Mail server, RT(request tracking from bestpractical, NAS) I use cerberus on 1 of my personal servers to handle request tracking for my business. I prefer cerberus over RT, even though it is pay for over 3 tech's.

-- Tim Krabec

TorontoRepair
03-17-2007, 11:09 PM
I actually use LINUX boot cd to troubleshoot computers as well as have it installed on one computer for testing and get used to it.
As all new things, it becomes more and mo simple as you learn it.

Bryce W
05-30-2007, 08:27 PM
I have Mandrake dual booting on my Lappy with XP.
Since the last time I posted in this thread Ive replaced Mandrake with Ubuntu. Ubuntu is very easy to use and handles most hardware by default, even on laptops.

TorontoRepair, what Linux build are you running on your test/learning PC?

greggh
06-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Ive been using linux since mid-93. Started with SLS which was one of the first linux distros. In late 93 I switched to patricks slackware (which was based on SLS.) My current desktop at home is usually booted into Gentoo, my laptop is running Ubuntu. I have windows running in vmware on both for when I need windows.

darren1270
08-22-2007, 11:30 AM
I have been using linux since January.... Started with Ubuntu Edgy now using feisty on a dual boot with win xp pro on my main desktop. Have been switching out distros on my dual boot laptop will be installing Fedora 7 over the weekend.

gunslinger
08-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Been playing around with linux off and on for a few years but I have never been happy enough with it to make it primary os.

Holzster
09-23-2007, 10:29 PM
I use Linux full time. If I need windows I use it in a virtual machine - for that I use VirtualBOX - GREAT open source project.
The only other M$ software I have is I am an M$ Action pack subscribor - I have Server 2003 setup but use it as a demo for clients -
I use Ubuntu for my desktops & Have one Ubuntu server as well as a Debian Server
Another way I use Linux is I flashed my Linksys WRT router with DDWRT - If you have not heard of it check it out at: dd-wrt.com.

Holzster

Vitiated
09-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Hello,
Has anyone here used linux here and if so which one. Well i got mandrake , Centos on my system with win 98 win 2003 also :).

So how many of you guys use linux now a days and how many have used shell and know how to use it?

At work I use a Windows XP laptop for compatibility with the environment that is in place there, but I've been running Ubuntu 100% at home for at least a year. I don't own a Windows XP license and when building my system chose Ubuntu; I'm on Feisty now.

In just the last year, I have noticed a remarkable difference in the end user experience, and would recommend for many users - I've got my parents on many open source apps, but haven't tried to convert them to an open source operating system yet (OSOS, lol). Lack of Printer support and other small issues may keep some away.

With only a years experience, I'm still a noob. FYI - Yakuake is indispensable, Google it!

I love the open source community :)

darren1270
09-26-2007, 07:03 AM
Lack of Printer support

HP Printers seem to work quite well with ubuntu.

Darren

rnojonson
03-04-2008, 01:56 PM
I discovered LST Linux in a library book 10 years ago. Tried Slackware then Red Hat, then 4 or 6 other distros. I dual booted Fedora Core with MS Win98se and moved on to Ubuntu and XP Pro. Today I use Xubuntu as my main OS and XP Pro just to remember. Seems like most if not all of my computing problems have gone away with Linux.

XT18
03-06-2008, 02:19 AM
I use PClinuxOS 2007 most of the time, i got it on dual boot with vista. It works pretty good out of the box(if you install the 2007 one get ready to download 700megs+ of updates) I also got it pimped out with compiz fusion and the effects murder vista and mac.

OfficeITPlus
03-06-2008, 08:27 AM
I'm planning on reacquiring my old CelA333 and refurbishing it into a hardware firewall/gateway, but I'm not sure which distro will go on yet.

You could also try ipcop. It is a fork of smoothwall but included a lot of things only available as paid for addins for smoothwall. www dot ipcop dot org

You might also like to look at SME server which includes a firewall but also gives all the functionality of M$ SBS on a lower hardware base. www dot contribs dot org.

Both have active supportive user bases and ongoing development.

Tony

murali
06-25-2008, 07:57 AM
I have my laptop and home PC with Dual Boot, both WinXP Pro and Mandriva One. Unfortunately none of my customers using Linux, so at the moment it's just personal use not business. Most of the time I will be running Linux, Windows only when there is a need. Best thing I like about Linux is the UI, you can trick someone saying you are running Mac OS just by changing the Theme, Wallpaper, Icons and launch Kicker (ksmoothdock).

Linux Rocks!

Murali

SuperStuff
07-02-2008, 08:11 PM
I'm using 8.04 Hard Ubuntu on a Thinkpad R31 right now. I like it so far, but it has some issues like the trackpoint pointer moving at random times, volume buttons not functioning correctly, and I have been reading about potential hard drive issues on laptops. I plug a USB mouse to bypass the trackpoint problem and have found a potential fix for the audio buttons.

I also run Puppy Linux on a Dell PII laptop. Version 3.0 work fine with my wireless card, but I can't seem to get Version 4.0 to get it working 100% yet.

Alex25
07-04-2008, 01:10 AM
I have a dual boot with windows XP and Ubuntu Hardy Heron. I would use Linux all the time but I haven't found a good I-Tunes alternative for my podcasts yet. If you looking for user friendly, try PCLinux OS. I have it loaded on an older PC and it's really easy to load and use. Linux forums are a huge help if you get lost.

wvstephens
07-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I only have one system out of 5 running windows. And on my lappy I run xp in vmware. If it was not for my sons games all 5 would be running linux. Just some of the games do not run well in wine. I have found it to be more stable and I don't have to worry about my kids loading them down with Malware/viruses...

i2omani
08-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Debian /etch here almost 5 yrs now and still learning

gunslinger
08-19-2008, 07:50 PM
I use a knoppix live cd for data recovery at times.

cleanwithit
08-20-2008, 07:12 AM
I use Ubuntu, Knoppix, Backtrack 3, and a few other live cds/distros.

bmetman
08-30-2008, 12:05 PM
I use several linux distros and love them all. I use ubuntu, knoppix, bt3 and a few other smaller distros for firewalls and such.:D

1Tek
08-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Started with Red Hat in 99 (cartman - I think) at home to become more familiar with *nix systems since I was using SunOS at work around that time, and fell in love with the command line!

I've used/still use...

HP-UX - J5000 workstation, I know it's not linux - but I must stay fresh with HP-UX
Gentoo - my MythTV box
Ubuntu - laptops (T61p, T42, T30, and A31p)
Knoppix - as a general liveCD rescue from time to time, although been using Gentoo's LiveCD for more of that lately

Once my wife finished school I got her off windows back in 2006, so we're almost windows free. She still uses a VM (VirtualBox) for the must have windows app -Quicken!

TechHelper
08-31-2008, 10:02 PM
I use/d Linux. The Ubuntu version.

kz1000
09-30-2008, 12:25 AM
Was a Unix Sys Admin back in the day (and still am sometimes) - so am comfortable with Linux.

IMHO distibutions such as Ubuntu have made it usable for the home.

Have agreed with a customer to trial Ubuntu for her teenager's PC. Teen & friends are Malware Magnets. So far the results look promising. The results will probably start another thread...

Tim

Skyhooker
09-30-2008, 01:37 AM
I used Knoppix live cd to recover probably 75% of files from a "dead" hard drive (Windows didn't even know it existed) before it took its last breath, so I'm amazed at the possibilities. I'd like to learn more advanced data recovery, but I think I'm going to need to learn a lot more about Linux in general. Are there any good online tutorials for Linux? What I've found so far seems to assume more knowledge or familiarity with it than I have.

gunslinger
09-30-2008, 11:48 AM
I have been playing around with the new Ubuntu 8.04 and I have to say, its the closest thing to a "main stream" OS I have seen from Linux.

@Skyhooker

I also find the Knoppix live cd very useful for data recovery.

tartis
09-30-2008, 12:55 PM
I used Knoppix live cd to recover probably 75% of files from a "dead" hard drive (Windows didn't even know it existed) before it took its last breath, so I'm amazed at the possibilities. I'd like to learn more advanced data recovery, but I think I'm going to need to learn a lot more about Linux in general. Are there any good online tutorials for Linux? What I've found so far seems to assume more knowledge or familiarity with it than I have.

Knoppix Live looks handy, but is it better at recovering files than the Ultimate Boot CD? Just curious, as I am always looking for a better way at doing things.

Skyhooker
09-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Answering my own question - here's a site that looks good:

Linux Online - Linux Courses (http://www.linux.org/lessons/)

Skyhooker
09-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Knoppix Live looks handy, but is it better at recovering files than the Ultimate Boot CD? Just curious, as I am always looking for a better way at doing things.

I couldn't say, Tartis. I discovered the Linux method before I had heard of the UBCD. It was about this time last year, and I was just toying with the idea of becoming a professional tech. Actually, my success at the recovery was one of the things that gave me enough confidence to pursue this as a career. This site, with all you helpful lads & lasses, is another.

I've been doing a bit of research lately into data recovery techniques, and found some great Youtube videos by Scott Moulton on his site:

My Hard Drive Died (http://www.myharddrivedied.com/)

While I seriously doubt I'll get into the hardware recovery techniques, the software tools he mentions look very promising, but the ones that he seems to think most effective are Linux-based, hence my interest in that.

ithinkyou5.0
10-03-2008, 09:48 AM
duel booting xp and ubuntu probably the most user friendly linux distro around

gunslinger
10-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Right now I'm dual booting OS X and XP Pro SP3 and I have Ubuntu running in VMware fusion. The best of all three worlds on one system.

raanders
10-22-2008, 04:44 PM
I just (re-)discovered this thread so I'll toss in my $0.25US (which currently works out to about 2 cents).

I've used Linux since 1993/1994. Started with Slackware which I downloaded through a convoluted process which is too long to describe in detail but in involved telnet, ftp, uuencode, Kermit, uudecode, download from a mini computer to desktop PC XT and put on floppy disks.

I recommend my second method which was to buy a CD from Redhat Software.

I run CentOS on almost all my systems and go to it when I upgrade older systems. I can't quite justify the currently licensing costs for Redhat or I'd be using it. Been a fan since I first used it -- Version 3.0.3

The local user group really likes Ubuntu.

Currently I run Linux on my workstation at home (aka. the Office), four Linux-Vserver hosts I admin/support with several guests in each (2-12 off the top of my head), two personal Linux-Vserver hosts (3-8 guests), 8 or so single purpose Linux servers I admin/support doing mail spool, DNS, and web proxy services, four more servers at home; file, applications, PVR and PBX.

Without Linux my job of admin and support would be awful. I also help with 8-10 Windows servers so know the issues and the differences.

Oh yeah I haven't made my wife a convert yet because she really likes Wordperfect so there is a Window machine in the house.

And lastly I have a Nokia N800.

Yes I use Linux!

Rod
--

RoboGeek
10-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Sure.. my 2nd post is on linux!!!

Been using it as a tool since RH5.2 and had a 11 node beowulf cluster running on a bunch of old 486's

Its now my primary machine for the last 3 yrs (mepis) and over half my customers are running either linux servers or total linux networks.

I do my security work on linux (backtrack) and my forensics and data recovery (helix) and run/sell SME server and EFW for firewalls

I'm the only company within a hundred miles that specializes in linux, so I have pretty much dominated the market

veedar
11-20-2008, 02:13 AM
Long time Linux user here and much prefer it over Windows. Anyway regarding Knoppix vs. UBCD4WIN both are excellent. But if UBCD does not recognize your hard disk say in cases of bad sector damage then many times Knoppix will see it and you can use tools like ddrescue to recover an image of the failing drive.

Also know that you can enjoy the many Linux based command line utilities from inside Windows by installing Cygwin. Running the Bash shell inside an RXVT terminal window with access to all the standard Linux commands from within a Windows XP box is quite powerful compared with what you can do from Windows using cmd.exe

doortodoorgeek
12-01-2008, 01:08 AM
Hello,

Have used Linux for 3 years, love it, I run Ubuntu primarily

The shell is just a advanced command prompt (I do not believe that, but that is how I word it to newbs)

The shell is easy "man {command}" answers a lot of questions and {command}+r searches history, love it