PDA

View Full Version : USB not recognised when a known to be working USB key placed in USB slot

MrMille
10-19-2008, 09:55 AM
Well, the title pretty much says it all.

I have a perfectly good USB drive, and when placed into a clients machine, the little 'green arrow safely remove' icon appears, but the drive doesn't appear in explorer.

Why does this happen?

Simmy
10-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Dodgy USB drivers on the customers machine perhaps? Check in Disk Management to see if the dongle has been given a drive letter. Do other USB devices work in the clients USB ports?

MrMille
10-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Nah, USB mp3 player won't work either.

I suspect the people who 'manage' their machines are cowboys of the highest order. Even the auto update panel was greyed out with no options selectable

zchehi
10-19-2008, 11:51 AM
yep sounds like pirate software :eek:

jj2000
10-19-2008, 02:44 PM
had a problem like this on a compaq laptop and it turned out to be a single connection on the actual usb socket was broken from the motherboard but this was a complete bitch to sort as it was such an intermittant problem.

Simmy
10-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Good point - A good way to test the mobo usb controller is to try a USB PCI card and see if they work. If the PCI card doesn't sort it, then you're looking at a driver/software issue.

ICEinLAVA
10-20-2008, 04:21 AM
the USB header could have been connected to the motherboard incorrectly especially if you don't have a header block.

you may want to ask if the USB ports have ever worked or if he has just never used them.

tauzin23
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
You might want to check inside "disk management" and make sure a drive letter got assigned to it. I had this happen before on a client's machine. I would plugin my usb flash drive and I would see the green arrow and hear a "da-ding" noise but my drive would not show up. I had to manually set the drive letter in "disk managment". The mapped network drive was already using the letter it was suppposed to use on their computer.

jaydude23
10-20-2008, 07:24 PM
I agree about Disk Management. It happens to me all the time. I either have to change the drive letter to an unused one, or I have to give it a drive letter.

MrMille
10-20-2008, 09:32 PM
The machine did have several mapped drives...

iptech
10-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Download USBDeview (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html). You can see what USB devices are installed / connected to the computer. You can see what drive letters have been assigned and you can delete any devices no longer connected.