PDA

View Full Version : Ipad 3 or Macbook pro 13"?

Encrypted Existence
02-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Hello all. I have (almost) decided to purchase a 13" Macbook pro within the next few weeks. The reason(s) being are 1)they are beautiful machines 2)I hear great things about them 3)I have almost no experience with Macs 4)I recently purchased an Iphone and I really like so I have big hopes for their computers. I would like to familiarize myself with Macs and OSx so that I can start supporting Apple products. The recent news of Apple's Ipad 3 launch next week has sparked a debate in my mind...would it be better for me to get the Ipad 3 or the Macbook? I wanna know what you guys (and gals) think. I feel that the Macbook will help me familiarize myself with OSx which is my main goal here so most likely (I guess I haven't completely made my mind up) I will purchase the laptop instead of the tablet. I know I could use the Ipad for onsite work, network install/troubleshooting, etc. I would like to know your opinions and what you would do if you were me. Thanks.

altrenda
02-29-2012, 08:46 PM
if your goal is to learn how to operate and troubleshoot OS X, than the Macbook Pro is the way to go. It has the added bonus of being able to run Windows as well, so you can have both in one machine.
an iPad 3 isn't real OS X, so won't help you there, but will still be capable of doing almost anything you need. For network troubleshooting, I find the lack of ethernet connectivity a severe limitation.

If learning OS X isn't big priority, for about the same price as a Macbook Pro you can get a decent Windows laptop and an iPad.

also check the Air. The 11 inch is a sweet machine for a tech, light, fast boot, SSD, i5 processor, OS X and Windows. No ethernet port, but there is an adapter available.

anonymous Mac Tech
02-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Macbook Pro hands down.

The Macbook Pro will come in much handier as a troubleshooting tool. Even over the MBair having the optical drive and firewire (target disk mode).

There are so many reasons, just don't have time to list them all

FoolishTech
02-29-2012, 09:58 PM
I guess if you put a gun to my head and forced me to buy an apple product, I'd get the computer. You'll want the experience with the OS so you can start to support it.

Also a tablet for a lot of folks (myself included) gets pretty pointless after a while when the 'new' wears off, and it becomes a toy for your kids. I used my tablet for maybe a few weeks before I quit carrying it around, and even then the word 'use' is used pretty loose, since I don't think I've ever had a practical use for it... but it sure keeps my 3 year old entertained!

RichmondTech
02-29-2012, 10:14 PM
I say if you want to learn OS X get a used Mac at a substantial discount. But really I would greatly appreciate someone explaining to me why I as a small business owner should spend my time and money to learn a platform with so little marketshare. Even Steve Jobs said we are moving to the post-PC era. So again, why bother? Less than 3% of my customers have Mac computers and I can muddle my way through connecting them to wireless networks or setting up printers to work with them. But why bother going any further? Say what you want about Windows, my customer can purchase two quality laptops for the price of one Macbook, doesn't have to deal with a learning curve of a new environment, and has someone at the ready to fix anything that pops up.

On the contrary, the iPad dominates the tablet market and makes sense learning that platform (although you already have an iPhone). If anything I would purchase a broken iPad and learn to fix it.

I was talking to a guy that said he dropped his iPad and Apple said they would replace it for $250. Are they just doing whatever they can to shut out anyone else from working on them? For only $250, I could see a lot of people paying that for a replacement.

RichmondTech
02-29-2012, 10:16 PM
an iPad 3 isn't real OS X, so won't help you there, but will still be capable of doing almost anything you need. For network troubleshooting, I find the lack of ethernet connectivity a severe limitation.

If there was an Ethernet adapter available for iPad to troubleshoot wired connections I would drop my laptop in a heartbeat.

altrenda
02-29-2012, 11:52 PM
I guess it's who your clients are whether it makes sense or not.

We specialize in the entertainment industry, where almost everyone from interns to execs carry Macbooks. It's a fashion statement as much as a tool.

Even residential customers are almost half Mac.

sal13
03-01-2012, 12:19 AM
If the ultimate goal is to learn to support and repair both items.
Get them Both.
Depends on your budget and if you see a market exists in your area. Buy a combination of used and new. A used 2-3 year-old macbook pro or macbook (they can run lion, just check the compatibility) should be about 600-700, eBay or Craigslist. You'll be able to upgrade the memory to 8gb for $30-40, if you need or want that much. Apple has refurbished ones often, that are more but come with warranty. iPad 2's should be going down in price as the new one comes out soon. You can look for a used iPad 2 and buy a new 13" Macbook pro. iPad service can be lucrative if you have a good source for parts.
If the choice comes down to one, get the macbook pro.
Boot camp can enable you to make it your all purpose support machine. And you can run Windows in a Virtual Machine in OS X for testing and troubleshooting. Virtual Box is free. Make snapshots and duplicates and you can have an array of different test situations.
If there's a market, get in. After a few weeks with a mac you'll see how easy they are to support. Add a new market opportunity to your business.

-Sal

pcmac
03-01-2012, 12:20 AM
mac Mini $600 ,very powerful OS

isqrd
03-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Hello all. I have (almost) decided to purchase a 13" Macbook pro within the next few weeks. The reason(s) being are 1)they are beautiful machines 2)I hear great things about them 3)I have almost no experience with Macs 4)I recently purchased an Iphone and I really like so I have big hopes for their computers. I would like to familiarize myself with Macs and OSx so that I can start supporting Apple products. The recent news of Apple's Ipad 3 launch next week has sparked a debate in my mind...would it be better for me to get the Ipad 3 or the Macbook? I wanna know what you guys (and gals) think. I feel that the Macbook will help me familiarize myself with OSx which is my main goal here so most likely (I guess I haven't completely made my mind up) I will purchase the laptop instead of the tablet. I know I could use the Ipad for onsite work, network install/troubleshooting, etc. I would like to know your opinions and what you would do if you were me. Thanks.

I would get the MacBook Pro. Everyone seems to have hit the right points in terms of the usefulness of the MacBook Pro over the iPad. I actually use a 11" MacBook Air as my main trouble shooting machine. It's small and gets the job done. Great resale value to boot as well when you want to move up.

EzClick
03-01-2012, 02:38 AM
MacBook Pro for sure, their will always be another tablet coming out.

Encrypted Existence
03-04-2012, 03:06 AM
Update: I purchased the Macbook Pro today and I am really liking it! Going into the Apple store on a Saturday night was quite an experience in and of itself. Thanks for the suggestions. Now I have one more question to ask...what are some good Mac sites (I'm already aware of OSX Daily)? Thanks!

anonymous Mac Tech
03-04-2012, 04:13 AM
I don't actually know of too many sites that don't rehash things I already know or cater to the fanboy mentality, but i like Macfixit. (http://reviews.cnet.com/macfixit/?tag=mncol;bc)

Also, Apples own support portal (http://www.apple.com/support/) can be very useful as well.

parker.casey
03-04-2012, 08:07 AM

iOS and OSX are two very different things, though Apple seems to be considering combining the two in the near future. I would very strongly suggest you get that Macbook Pro! I really don't think you can go wrong with one of those. It's just an over-all great machine.

gunslinger
03-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Go with the Macbook Pro. You wont be sorry. They are indeed beautiful machines and the OS makes it that much more so. If you like the iPhone you will love the MBP.

Word of advice though. Get it with the lowest RAM you can (4 gigs) and upgrade it yourself from OWC for less than $50 to 8 gigs.

Rodrick
03-04-2012, 03:38 PM
I also want to add to Gunslinger's advice: RAM seems to make more of a difference on OS X then it does on Windows.

Basically, get the most RAM you can afford or max out the machine if possible (macsales.com is the url for OWC by the way) it really does make an amazing difference.

anonymous Mac Tech
03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
I also want to add to Gunslinger's advice: RAM seems to make more of a difference on OS X then it does on Windows.

Basically, get the most RAM you can afford or max out the machine if possible (macsales.com is the url for OWC by the way) it really does make an amazing difference.

RAM does make a huge difference with OSX. I'd attribute to the fact that OSX is specifically engineered for Apple hardware and specs along with a mostly finely tuned and stable OS where performance adding modifications are noticed immediately. Furthermore, as much as performance enhancements are noticed immediately, so are performance degradations. A very high percentage of machines I look at where the symptoms are described as running slow is mostly hardware issues (mostly failing drives, sometimes lack or RAM).

Also, on machines we sell we rarely configure to order upgraded RAM from Apple. We just add third party RAM and install it before delivering to customers. Saves some dough and works just as well.

Encrypted Existence
03-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the replies and site suggestions! I will order the RAM upgrade this week.