PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Routers

JapanimemanDO
07-29-2006, 07:00 AM
I realize that I need a wireless router and so I'm asking you guys for basic info on the set up procedure and possible reccomendations.
I want to get a router to work with my Macbook(internal 802.11g), my NintendoDS and my desktop.

I was confused on this: When setting this up, would I disconnect the internet hookup (DSL) from my desktop to the router and now my desktop would be connected wirelessly (would this be a slower connection/more fickle connection?)? Or can the 'net still be "wired" to my desktop and just have the router connected halfway (through the same wired connection)?

I'm pretty sure my macbook will be wireless and I was just worried that a router might not work with a DS if it works with a mac (sort of like PCv.Mac rivalry btwn certain products...)

I REALLY appreciate your guys info and knowledgeable help...and suggestions.:)

Bryce W
07-29-2006, 07:10 AM
I was confused on this: When setting this up, would I disconnect the internet hookup (DSL) from my desktop to the router and now my desktop would be connected wirelessly (would this be a slower connection/more fickle connection?)? Or can the 'net still be "wired" to my desktop and just have the router connected halfway (through the same wired connection)?
Yes, you would plug your the connection coming from your modem into the Wireless router, your desktop can still be wired as most Routers have 5 or so network ports. I highly recommend keeping your desktop wired because as you said it would be slower and more fickle.

I'm pretty sure my macbook will be wireless and I was just worried that a router might not work with a DS if it works with a mac (sort of like PCv.Mac rivalry btwn certain products...)
You will have to Google for this as I am not 100% sure. I know it is difficult connecting a PC to a Apple Airport as you have to use some weird java based setup in order to even access the Airport. I think if you stick with a non-apple router you should be fine because all it will do is send a IP address to the Mac.

As for recommendations, I highly recommend the Linksys WRT54GS.

JapanimemanDO
07-29-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes, I was looking into LinkSys or Netgear
I don't plan on getting an apple airport, I'm just concerned if getting a regular wireless router (like that mentioned above) would still work with my macbook (which will be new, having wireless capbilities built in, I don't think i'll need to buy an apple airport)

So with the setup situation, it would be like this (physical wires = ---->) right?

internet connection--->wireless router---->desktop

Also, my phone line won't be affected by this setup(^above) right?