PDA

View Full Version : Adding storage to server

score444
02-29-2012, 05:42 PM
I have a client with a server that is running very low on storage capacity. They have RAID 10 with the C drive devoted to the OS (Windows Server 2003) and the D drive storing all of the data.

The D drive has a capacity of about 250 GB but has only 5 GB remaining. Data includes shared documents, Exchange data, etc.

I do not want to start messing around with the RAID array or having to rebuild the whole server.

What I was thinking of doing was adding an additional internal hard drive with a larger capacity and copying all of the data from the D drive to the new drive and then mapping the new drive to all 25 workstations. Alternatively, I was thinking of just adding an external hard drive connecting with a usb cable and copying all data and mapping that, but I am concerned that this might be too slow. They already have onsite and offsite backup, so RAID is not really necessary for data redundancy as they already have several backups.

What are your thoughts on this situation? Thanks in advance!

coffee
02-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Are they all 250 gig drives? (4 of them right?). And, How much room do you have for additional drives?

I would just add to the array. Probably add 2 250 gig drives for that matter. Otherwise I would entertain the idea of moving them to larger drives. But that all depends on their budget.

I would think you can add more drives on the fly so to not interrupt their access to the array. Depends on the raid controller involved I guess.

Anyways, Thats what I think.

MotzTech
02-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Have you considered a NAS with RAID? I know you said they have backups, but RAID will still provide uninterrupted access if one of the drives dies. A NAS would allow you to add a lot more storage space without having to put more load on the current server. This all depends on what is taking up the space though. Stuff like documents could be moved to a NAS but exchange data could not.

Have you run treesize on the server to see if they are losing a lot of space to unneeded data? I had a client once that had a server get filled up super fast, it turns out on the employees was downloading full length movies via bittorrent onto his server share.....

YeOldeStonecat
02-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Are both the C and D partitions on the same RAID 10 volume? Yack! Can't stand seeing servers that run heavy apps (like Exchange) on a single volume. Should be a pair done RAID 1 for the C drive (%system%) and a RAID 1 or 5 or 10 for drive D...totally separate spindle/volume.

You don't want to run a server from an external USB drive...ugh.

What make/model is this server? More specifically....what is the model RAID controller it has?

This is a production server...yes RAID is necessary. RAID is not for backup, it's for redundancy of parts..so the server can keep running if a drive fails, and give you time to replace a failed drive..without impacting production.

Has Exchange been backing up properly..thus flushing the logs? (if not..can lead to massive increase in drive consumption and a server quickly runs out of free space on whatever drive the infostore is mounted on).

score444
03-01-2012, 01:31 PM
The server is a Dell Poweredge 2900. I am not sure what type of raid controller it has.
And yes, there are 4 250 GB drive all configured under one RAID 10.
It sounds like my best option would be adding 2 additional drives to the RAID 10 and expanding the D drive to increase storage capacity. Only problem is, I am a little uneasy about messing around with the raid array even though they do have proper backups.

rsarceno
03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
The server is a Dell Poweredge 2900. I am not sure what type of raid controller it has.
It sounds like my best option would be adding 2 additional drives to the RAID 10 and expanding the D drive to increase storage capacity. Only problem is, I am a little uneasy about messing around with the raid array even though they do have proper backups.

Why not call Dell tech support and have them standby while you do the process.

It's not that difficult. You turn off the machine, then add the two drive
Reconfigured raid. (might take some time) Boot to windows and use diskpart to extend/expand drive D.

Once it's all done, the last two drive will be RAID 10 but it's more of RAID 1 (mirror). Eventually as time goes on the striping will improve.

YeOldeStonecat
03-02-2012, 02:48 PM

Find out which model Perc is in there....it's a decent server that came with some good RAID card options, hopefully it was purchased with one of the good models that allow online raid expansion. Once you find which model it is...pretty easy to Google up a guide on how to do the expansion.