PDA

View Full Version : Small Business Server 2003 question

Pesk
02-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Hey all, this is my first post :) so I thank you all for your help in advance.

So I have a client who runs Small Business Server 2003 and got asked a question I wasn't sure how to really answer. They asked if the server was backing up their emails. I know they are currently running the SBS backup and it looks like it was setup (years ago) to backup the internal drives as a whole.

Each client PC logs on to a domain and they receive email from the email domain. How can I check everyone's email is being backed up? and if its not being backed up how do I add it to the backup.

Thanks again in advance.

Cheers

MobileTechie
02-21-2012, 10:39 AM
You need to go into the backup app and check the settings. Open up Server Management, it's in there.

YeOldeStonecat
02-21-2012, 11:05 AM
If they are using the SBS backup integrated with it....by default it will backup the infostore. Run through the configure my backup wizard to make sure it is.

Also with Exchange, if an Exchange aware backup program has not been backing it up lately, you'll have lots of E###.log files piling up in the Exchsrvr\Mdbdata directory, 5,120 in size, every few minutes. If Exchange hasn't been backed up in a while...eventually the partition the Infostore is on will fill up and she'll grind to a halt. These get flushed by the backup program when it sweeps through the infostore.

Pesk
02-21-2012, 11:26 AM
If they are using the SBS backup integrated with it....by default it will backup the infostore. Run through the configure my backup wizard to make sure it is.

Also with Exchange, if an Exchange aware backup program has not been backing it up lately, you'll have lots of E###.log files piling up in the Exchsrvr\Mdbdata directory, 5,120 in size, every few minutes. If Exchange hasn't been backed up in a while...eventually the partition the Infostore is on will fill up and she'll grind to a halt. These get flushed by the backup program when it sweeps through the infostore.

It appears as though the company that installed it setup SBS backup. I have had a look at the backup wizard before and it just goes through setting up start times and adding a user to change tapes, it doesnt specify exactly what its backing up. Ive also read in other posts on here about using shadow copy for sbs. Is it worthinstalling shadow copy and have it backup to usb hard drive?