PDA

View Full Version : Malwarebytes failing and locking up

smokeeater405
02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
In the past few days I have noticed Malwarebytes completely lock up and fail to remove anything after a Quick Scan and finding malware. I have had to resort to other means (Hitman Pro, etc), but have never had a problem with Malwarebytes. I am about to evaluate D7. Anyone having similar issues with Mal??

Slaters Kustum Machines
02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
I have not had this issue with MBAM, but I highly recommend D7.

Galdorf
02-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Sound to me like you may have a hidden rootkit there are a few out there that even tdsskiller,combofix cannot find i have had a few computers in with that problem turned out to be a rootkit,also it may be possible that the hard drive has bad sectors this would also cause lockups you might want to do a surface scan.

Encrypted Existence
02-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Sound to me like you may have a hidden rootkit there are a few out there that even tdsskiller,combofix cannot find i have had a few computers in with that problem turned out to be a rootkit,also it may be possible that the hard drive has bad sectors this would also cause lockups you might want to do a surface scan.

So how do you end up identifying/removing the rootkit if TDSSKiller and Combofix do not spot it? Thanks.

Tekguy
02-16-2012, 05:30 AM
I haven't had any freeze up problems with Malwarebytes, but it's missed about 3 out of the last 4 rogue AVs. I think Malwarebytes is so popular now the malware creators are finding ways to evade it successfully. Hitman Pro has been good to me lately.

Galdorf
02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
So how do you end up identifying/removing the rootkit if TDSSKiller and Combofix do not spot it? Thanks.

There is a number of tools one of them is rootkit unhooker, and mbrcheck scan that scans for non-standard bootblocks.
Another way is to boot the cd for your os to repair prompt and fixmbr then fixboot.
I had a customer that lost internet i used tdsskiller,malwarebytes and gmer they showed nothing, so i booted a cd with os to command prompt and fixmbr non-standard boot block hmmm then fixboot.
Re-booted the machine ran malwarebytes and bam loads of trojans hiding cleaned them off then re-booted and internet was back.

Encrypted Existence
02-16-2012, 03:37 PM
There is a number of tools one of them is rootkit unhooker, and mbrcheck scan that scans for non-standard bootblocks.
Another way is to boot the cd for your os to repair prompt and fixmbr then fixboot.
I had a customer that lost internet i used tdsskiller,malwarebytes and gmer they showed nothing, so i booted a cd with os to command prompt and fixmbr non-standard boot block hmmm then fixboot.
Re-booted the machine ran malwarebytes and bam loads of trojans hiding cleaned them off then re-booted and internet was back.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Dameize
02-17-2012, 04:37 PM
this happened to me last night i had to kill it and restart it

geekhelp4u
02-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Did you try running MBAM in Chameleon mode?

For those that don't know about this feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxabxxG2vNA

Mr.Mike
02-21-2012, 01:10 AM

+1 to Galdorf re: fixmbr & fixboot. You also want to get at the pre-boot environment, ie, scan MBR. I use Avast Free's scan, a terrific tool!

mm201
02-22-2012, 03:16 AM
Did you try running MBAM in Chameleon mode?

For those that don't know about this feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxabxxG2vNA

That's pretty slick. Thanks for the heads up.

smokeeater405
02-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I will try some of the recommendations. :D

pugsport
02-25-2012, 04:47 PM
I have found in recent months that mbam is conflicting with anti virus products causing lock ups and very slow boot times, after uninstalling the A/V mbam runs fine, I have so far found AVG, McAfee, Kaspersky, and Norton, insist on uninstalling mbam due to conflicts. There is some info on this on mbam's website.