PDA

View Full Version : Exchange 2003 blocking valid emails

YOCS
02-14-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm a noob with Exchange and just took on a customer running Exchange 2003that is blocking valid emails all of the sudden and flagging them as spam. Can anyone recommend some sort of filter program or is there something within Exchange that I can look at or tweak... Thanks

Tekko
02-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm a noob with Exchange and just took on a customer running Exchange 2003that is blocking valid emails all of the sudden and flagging them as spam. Can anyone recommend some sort of filter program or is there something within Exchange that I can look at or tweak... Thanks

Is exchange doing the blocking or an email gateway? What does exchange message tracking show?

YOCS
02-15-2012, 01:47 AM
Tekko, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It looks like Cloudmark Exchange Server is filtering the email for Exchange. Apparently the CES licence expired last July. I will be renewing it tomorrow unless someone can recommend something better. I also enabled message tracking in Exchange about an hour ago and there is a ton of stuff in there (Spam?).

Tekko
02-15-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't know too much about cloudmark, but I suspect that's where your problem lies because exchange 2003 doesn't really have as much filtering options as the newer versions.

Are the emails that are blocked from a specific domain?

YOCS
02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
The blocked emails are not from one specific domain. Some of the blocked emails are from business partners they have been emailing for years. Can you think of another product that would filter the spam.

I'm not sure why they would even be setup with an Exchange server. There are only 7-10 people in the office at any one time. It's a small construction company. I think the mainly use the Public Contacts and Folders. Maybe I should look into getting them off Exchange and implement a simpler solution but, what's out there instead of Exchange?

Tekko
02-15-2012, 06:52 PM
The blocked emails are not from one specific domain. Some of the blocked emails are from business partners they have been emailing for years. Can you think of another product that would filter the spam.

I'm not sure why they would even be setup with an Exchange server. There are only 7-10 people in the office at any one time. It's a small construction company. I think the mainly use the Public Contacts and Folders. Maybe I should look into getting them off Exchange and implement a simpler solution but, what's out there instead of Exchange?

Google apps for email cannot be beat when you're talking about a user base that small, and you can use Postini easily with google since they bought them a few years back.

For spam filtering I have used MS Frontbridge, Postini and Cisco IronPort. I am most familiar with IronPort, but its not something you would use in this case.

Some companies will sell you seats of a larger spam solution like Barracuda, and then you just route your MX records to them and then back, essentially having a cloud based spam solution.

Another option is to setup a UTM (Untangle comes to mind) that can spam filter specific email ports.

I'm definitely not an expert in all areas of these suggestions, so maybe someone else can chime in with some pros/cons when talking in terms of ~10 seats.

YOCS
02-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Google apps for email cannot be beat when you're talking about a user base that small, and you can use Postini easily with google since they bought them a few years back.

Google Apps looks great. I just set it up for my company and have been playing around with it. I could probably get away with the free version for my customer since there will be less than 10 users but even still $5 a user is nothing. There is an Exchange migration tool that fairly straight forward. Has anybody used this to move email, contacts, GAL out of Exchange?