View Full Version : What is this laptop part called?

02-07-2012, 08:42 PM
First, sorry for not putting the whole question in the title, I couldn't word it succinctly.

In the place where you screw the hinge into the lid of a laptop, there are some little tiny brass bits that are threaded to receive the screws. These are the things that usually come out of the plastic (attached to the screw) when someone drops a laptop. I want to call them grommets, but I don't think that's right, anchor seems to general. Anyone know the "technical" name for these things?

02-07-2012, 08:51 PM
take a pic and post it here

02-07-2012, 08:52 PM
I call them a pain in the ass, but I believe they are called brass insert nuts.....how ironic bass nuts lol

This is what you are describing correct?

02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
We call them Hinge Mounts, but honestly I'm not sure if that's the technical name.

Edit: Disregard, I had the wrong part in mind.

02-07-2012, 08:56 PM
I call them threaded inserts.

02-07-2012, 09:43 PM
I call them threaded inserts.

i call them that as well.

Slaters Kustum Machines
02-07-2012, 10:30 PM
They are called Thread-Serts for Threaded Inserts. Here is a link for automotive applications http://catalog.automotivefasteners.com/viewitems/ls-and-accessories-thread-repair-systems-and-tools/thread-sert-174-threaded-fasteners-zinc-plated

Larry Sabo
02-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Also called knurled nuts.

02-08-2012, 01:14 AM
i call them that as well.

ditto...some of them are better quality than others, but they sure are a pain to replace when the threads are stripped.

02-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Also called knurled nuts.

:-) um let's just stick with threaded inserts and leave the nuts out of it.

02-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Hey thanks everyone. I decided to call them Thread-Serts because that is both descriptive and technical-sounding. But I have to say I'm rather fond of "knurled nuts". Can't say it without smiling.