PDA

View Full Version : Server Elements $9.95

PcTek9
01-31-2012, 02:51 AM
Server Elements is a company that makes several amazing and wonderful products. They solve different problems for different networking environments, and... They are very inexpensive...

Have you wanted to transfer files from xp to vista to 7 over a network, and run into interesting problems, such as... it won't work.

You can research and read many websites... Try all the tricks and tips, but eventually you realize the only solid solution is either windows home server OR a windows professional server. Other wise those computers are not talking to each other...

What to do? Well one company has made several products that bridge all the various problems. The product is easy to install, easy to setup, and it just works.

Take an old computer, stick some new drives in it, and boot up in one of server elements operating systems. You can download the image from the web starting at $9.95 if you just want an easy place to make folders and store files on between windows 7, vista, and xp (even 64 bit editions...)

Not only that, but there is apple compatibility too. The most expensive software available from server elements also supports even ftp, telnet, and other technologies.

Because the ServerElements Operating System is based on LINUX, if you store files from a windows 7 pc on the nanoNas server, viruses don't propagate or parade around if they happen to get copied - and mess up other files.

It's a great solution for your movies, music, and important files at home. It can also be used in businesses where a community workgroup server is needed. It does not support disk quotas, user ID's, or domains, but then if you don't need all that additional complexity for a small business, or a workgroup then why worry with it?

In other words, you stick in a drive, or several drives, and the space becomes available, anybody on any operating system on the network can make folders, access files, write files, and more. You can make folders and map drives to those folders in windows 7, vista, and xp all versions, then access those files on a completely different computer using a completely different operating system.

starting at 9.95 for a simple working solution, that is virtually immune to computer viruses and trojans, and extremely reliable and easy to set up... It's a perfect solution for the typical hodgepodge networks we encounter in small businesses.

If you are interested check them out here:
http://www.serverelements.com/?target=Products

YeOldeStonecat
01-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Have you ever tried FreeNAS? So that you could compare?

PcTek9
02-04-2012, 12:35 AM
Have you ever tried FreeNAS? So that you could compare?

I know all about freenas, and lost a great deal of data to it. I had the strangest oddest problems with freenas, but a lot of people claim they don't have any problems with freenas - personally, i find this very hard to believe.

Everything seemed great initially but... well... i don't know what to say... it was almost as if ... something freaky was going on with freenas. That's all i'll say. And I lost a ton of data.

but - other features include - that freenas has a ton of features and a great web interface.

If I had it to do all over again, i'd skip freenas and buy nanonas for 9.95, they really have a great product, but probably nothing will convince you of that except to use it. It's really priced way to cheap. (in my humble opinion).

codegreen
02-04-2012, 01:15 AM
Everything seemed great initially but... well... i don't know what to say... it was almost as if ... something freaky was going on with freenas. That's all i'll say. And I lost a ton of data.

I'd be interested to hear a little more about your FreeNAS issues. What was your basic setup? What type of hard drives? RAID and filesystem types? I'm curious because I have a FreeNAS box set up for one of my clients storing and serving a large collection of files. It's been running smoothly for more than a year, but it's helpful to hear about other people's experience.

seedubya
02-04-2012, 01:52 AM
This reads like an ad. Is it? Are you associated with them in some way?
(because that would be breaching the forum rules and dishonest)

Mr.Mike
02-04-2012, 02:32 AM

I know it sounds like a little commercial, but, I can honestly say that PcTek9 has given lots of very useful information to this forum (check his threads)! I don't doubt his intentions. I'm sure the moderators would back me up on this one.

16k_zx81
02-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Freenas is nice in theory but in practice is a data recovery nightmare. Happened to me. Wouldnt go near it again. Ever. Especially on a client's machine.

OP: thanks for the post. I hadnt heard of these guys and, seriously, $10-$35 bucks for a NAS OS is not much to pay. Looks interesting. Im almost tempted to buy it just to check it out!

16k_zx81
02-04-2012, 04:31 AM

The OP is a good egg. Besides, this is a relatively unusual product: its a worthwhile heads-up, IMO.

By the way, I heard of a GREAT website kit for PC techs....

:) :D :P

seedubya
02-04-2012, 10:31 AM
The OP is a good egg. Besides, this is a relatively unusual product: its a worthwhile heads-up, IMO.

By the way, I heard of a GREAT website kit for PC techs....

:) :D :P

Yeah but you have permission!

@PCTek - sorry if I'm wrong but it does read like you're actually selling the thing.

Cambridge PC Support
02-04-2012, 11:13 AM
And at $10 a shot, he must be coining it in! ;)

YeOldeStonecat
02-04-2012, 01:14 PM
OpenFiler is another popular free one. Granted...10 bucks is cheap, but already a market filled with FREE open sourced *nix distros for NAS duties....
http://www.openfiler.com/

Used FreeNAS is the past...didn't have issues with it. I was careful with my hardware selection though.

NBCS
02-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Not sure if anybody suggested this yet, but Amahi (http://www.amahi.org/) looks like a promising project. I've been wanting to give it a try, but just haven't had the time (or a spare machine to try it on)

16k_zx81
02-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Not sure if anybody suggested this yet, but Amahi (http://www.amahi.org/) looks like a promising project. I've been wanting to give it a try, but just haven't had the time (or a spare machine to try it on)

apparenily it will run from one of these
http://plugcomputer.org/

... which got me thinking... I want to make a pxe server, and this might be a way to do it at low cost and without taking up any space in my workshop.

Waay cool :)

PcTek9
02-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Noooo. Not affiliated with them in anyway. wow...
I support products i like.

FreeNas seemed to work great for a while, but then it lost all the data, and somehow the inodes became totally fubarred.

Openfiler never gave me much assistance, and I never got that to work right.

I am not a salesman for server elements, but after using their product, I think a great many of you might very well be wise to become just that - except I dont think they hire salespeople. But you could only benefit from using this product.

It's great for a small business that doesn't have the $ to pay for server licenses, seat licenses, then license for email servers, file servers, etc. I'm really impressed with them. really.

I love how windows 7, vista, and xp can all access this server, as well as apple systems - something that otherwise you pay thousands for, or use the freebie stuff. This is one rare case where you do not get what you pay for, you get far far more than that. Well worth every cent, and then some.

pc-quebec
02-19-2012, 09:07 PM
what about iSCII ? is it supported ?

16k_zx81
03-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Server Elements is a company that makes several amazing and wonderful products. They solve different problems for different networking environments, and... They are very inexpensive...

I have just bought an HP Proliant server and am going to shift across from an old box I put together and have been using till now.

Am thinking 2x2 RAID5, and am looking at OS. Currently using WHS, but there are some annoyances so considering this.

Are you still liking the product? How well has your setup run since you installed it?

hondablaster
03-05-2012, 07:32 AM
I have just bought an HP Proliant server and am going to shift across from an old box I put together and have been using till now.

Am thinking 2x2 RAID5, and am looking at OS. Currently using WHS, but there are some annoyances so considering this.

Are you still liking the product? How well has your setup run since you installed it?

Getting a server like me...:)

Would you be running Citrix XenServer and testing all the candidates side by side? :p