PDA

View Full Version : New Head-Up Display for Ubuntu

MotzTech
01-26-2012, 07:38 PM
So I was perusing my news sites today and I ran across this. It seems that Ubuntu is going to be getting a new interface. It seems to work kind of like Googles predictive search. I'm exited to try it, I may download the one of the nightly builds just so I don't have to wait.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/25/mark-shuttleworth-unveils-new-head-up-display-for-ubuntu-12-04/

Maybe those scenes from movies where people are navigating a computer without ever touching a mouse may be more believable.

Although I don't think THIS will ever be possible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ
That always makes me laugh

Xander
01-26-2012, 07:40 PM
I think these people don't understand what a "heads up display" is. It contrasts a "heads down" one like in a car; when you have to look away from your main source of input (the windshield) to look at instrumentation.

You can't have a HUD on a computer because your monitor is already your main display. Having you hard drive light reflected onto the monitor could count as a HUD because that info isn't normally there, it's on your case.

MotzTech
01-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Now that you mention it that does not make a lot of sense. Still seems like a interesting way to go, whatever it's called.

thebige
01-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Interesting concept but unless they change it drastically I do not see it catching on. For instance, when unity first rolled out it was pretty unusable. Then they seem to have made it at least usable. Then the whole "lens" concept which still needs work as well. All in all they have come a long way with their interface but I would love to know their end game. As for now I will stick to XCFE until the dust settles a bit.

NBCS
01-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Personal opinion: I hate Gnome 3...just can't get used to it :P

tempusfugit
01-27-2012, 12:34 AM
I think these people don't understand what a "heads up display" is. It contrasts a "heads down" one like in a car; when you have to look away from your main source of input (the windshield) to look at instrumentation.

You can't have a HUD on a computer because your monitor is already your main display. Having you hard drive light reflected onto the monitor could count as a HUD because that info isn't normally there, it's on your case.

The video game industry would beg to differ.

ArtemusComputerTechnology
01-27-2012, 05:18 AM
I love UBUNTU...lol.

Xander
01-27-2012, 06:24 AM
The video game industry would beg to differ.Just because a bunch of gamers call something a "hud" doesn't make it a "hud". They can beg as much as they want, it won't change what it isn't.

smashedbotatos
01-28-2012, 12:55 AM
Unity is poop........I install Gnome 3 as soon as I install Ubuntu 11.10. I hate how it removes the customization aspect that I have come to love and enjoy.

Jsch38
01-30-2012, 05:42 PM
I like the Mint distro myself. Easy to install, very end-user friendly. For retriving files from a dead windows system I like to use the Puppy distro.