PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?.

Dameize
01-25-2012, 02:46 AM
So I'm going to be launching soon and I need some advice on my website. Its not finished at the moment and nothing is linked up its just the skeleton pretty much. The facebook like box is there as a filler mine will replace it. No pages have content except the index page.

I need feedback on the index page e.g. the writing and what I should feature on this page such as offers or services etc. I also need feedback on the sidebar and what else I should implement.

Overall feedback on the layout of the menus etc would also be great and my logo if you dont mind.

The website will be up roughly 24 hours so technibble users can provide me feedback and then it will be down in maintenance mode again.

The website is http://pcmonster.co.uk/

Thanks.

16k_zx81
01-25-2012, 06:25 AM
Really the best thing you could do is read the Advertising Critique section of the Forum.

There's an excellent body of knowledge there if you take the time to look...

Dameize
01-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I looked in there and its relevant to other websites. I need feedback in regards to my website.

16k_zx81
01-25-2012, 12:33 PM
I looked in there and its relevant to other websites. I need feedback in regards to my website.

Sorry... I was under the impression it was a website for a computer repairs business

I must have been mistaken! :rolleyes:

Cambridge PC Support
01-25-2012, 01:36 PM
I think what Jim meant was to look at what other people said about other websites that have been up for critique and see what you can apply to your own website. There really is pretty much all you need to know there.

Things like the really noddy stuff like having a phone number prominently displayed on the home page so that people can telephone you.

It's all in there, you just need to take the time to look.

Dameize
01-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the reply then I guess I just meant I needed feedback on design mainly and meant that its hard to judge based on other websites as each website is completely different. I will have a look though.

kevinjhaag
01-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Dinosaurs, Monsters, ....Geeks. Oh wait...I'm sortof a Geek. LOL. What's next?

EDIT: Forgot...SuperHeros!

hightechrex
01-25-2012, 04:45 PM
Dinosaurs, Monsters, ....Geeks. Oh wait...I'm sortof a Geek. LOL. What's next?

lmaoo... loving the dinosaur reference.

mraikes
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Just sit back and wait for the take down notice from Monster Cable. :rolleyes:

Dameize
01-25-2012, 08:52 PM
They will get a letter back telling them where they can place their take down notice.

Lpusedyou
01-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the reply then I guess I just meant I needed feedback on design mainly and meant that its hard to judge based on other websites as each website is completely different. I will have a look though.

Haha don't worry man I received very similar responses when I opened my thread. We do understand that there are other threads and we do read them. It should probably be assumed that when we open one for our OWN website, logo, etc. that we now want feedback on our particular stuff. If you'd prefer not to give feedback then you certainly don't have to respond. Not trying to be rude or anything it just makes sense. This isn't directed at you Dameize (well I guess unless you do that too but yea).

As far as your website is concerned I really like the layout and theme you've chosen. The drop down menus and navigation layout look good. I also like the colors you're going with - red, black, and green. My only qualm about the colors overall is that the green you're using in your logo doesn't quite match the brighter, lime green that is all over your home page. Like others have said - make sure your phone number or whatever method of contact you want customers to do is BIG and stands out off the page.

Dameize
01-26-2012, 12:40 AM
thanks for the reply. Ive since updated it and as for the colours, I personally didnt see much of an issue but might look at matching the lime colours with the logo.

thanks

16k_zx81
01-26-2012, 02:55 AM
It should probably be assumed that when we open one for our OWN website, logo, etc. that we now want feedback on our particular stuff. If you'd prefer not to give feedback then you certainly don't have to respond. Not trying to be rude or anything it just makes sense. This isn't directed at you Dameize (well I guess unless you do that too but yea).

Its nothing personal. Ive posted a fair number of replies in that section of the Forum and after awhile you see people making the same mistakes over and over. Its not about not wanting to help OP - its just that the information is already there.

I just dont really want to slavishly reproduce existing comments. Especially things that have been commented on, literally, 100's of times before.

Dameize
01-26-2012, 03:30 AM
@ 16k any suggestion where I can fit a h1 tag on that page.. need to squeeze it in somewhere and dont know where.

16k_zx81
01-26-2012, 07:58 AM
@ 16k any suggestion where I can fit a h1 tag on that page.. need to squeeze it in somewhere and dont know where.

Just make a heading somewhere.

If you think about it, some 'big text' is an asset on any page. Heading and subheading would normally go at the top but at the top of any 'section' as a headline for the section itself (instead of the page) is fine.

Aesthetically I think the site is coming along well, by the way. I like the colours you have chosen, esp your use of the bright green colour. Have you tried modding the logo with the same gradient to see how it looks with the rest of the page?

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh311/etheesdad/Untitled-2-1.jpg

Cadishead Computers
01-26-2012, 08:39 AM
I have to ask a blaringly obvious question.

Why on all of the pages right at the bottom of the page, does it state the following

Looking for PC Repair Clacton? Visit rrtsolutions

When that site is for another user on tn?

Dameize
01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
We are backlink exchanging. In regards to the logo I wil try and get it edited if I can find the source file.

Dameize
01-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Update:
Lime logo and number under it

16k_zx81
01-26-2012, 12:28 PM
We are backlink exchanging..

= A waste of time/space.

Dameize
01-26-2012, 12:42 PM
actually backlinks from index pages has more weight then generic backlinks. Our websites are hosted on different ips as well. Backlinks do count. Not to mention the backlink is 100% relevant and anchored correctly.

PCSupportGlasgow
01-27-2012, 02:22 PM
i will say it as know most other uk techs thinking it even though it not website critique related:-

can i have pcsuperhero in the sweepstake for the next name the OP will pick in few months time.

As those listed prices certainly wont make a substainable ONSITE business. and i certainly wouldnt be potentially getting out my bed at 3am on a friday night for some drunk dude for a measely 12.45 (19.55646 U.S. dollars for our american friends)

website related: for a company that hasnt opened yet there is sure a fair amount of testimonials.

Cambridge PC Support
01-27-2012, 03:27 PM
A monster service at hamster-size prices :)

Dameize
01-28-2012, 03:33 AM
My prices are not final and are based on competitors. I will also be adding clauses that after certain times additional charges apply etc.

Dameize
01-28-2012, 11:07 AM
in regards to the testimonials they are from various family friends etc that I have helped in the past. Im not open for business but since coming back to england and even in australia any general help I get asked for I do for usually pretty cheap. all are family friends excluding craig.

PC-MOT
02-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I would echo most of what others have said, and also move your phone number from the top of your page to a much bigger font under you logo.

Dameize
02-04-2012, 04:50 PM
thanks for the input everyone. I have not done much work on my site as I have been focusing on SEO and I am now number one for my keyword. (some friends seem to see 1 and some see 2) but I also see 1 so im going to asume their caches arnt fresh.

I will probably start on finishing the site and implementing your suggestions next week.

Thanks all.

tarik
02-06-2012, 09:07 AM
thanks for the input everyone. I have not done much work on my site as I have been focusing on SEO and I am now number one for my keyword. (some friends seem to see 1 and some see 2) but I also see 1 so im going to asume their caches arnt fresh.

I will probably start on finishing the site and implementing your suggestions next week.

Thanks all.

im interested to know how youve managed to get so many followers on twitter/ facebook considering you only have 2 tweets and not started trading yet?

Martyn
02-06-2012, 09:17 AM
I see you are a limited company and there are regulations that you are not adhering to. It's one of the reasons I didn't create a limited company. Have a read, I think you have to have your registration details and address on your website.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1073789621&type=RESOURCES

59abbot
02-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Sorry... I was under the impression it was a website for a computer repairs business

I must have been mistaken! :rolleyes:

Agreed +1. I have the same impression.

PCX
02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Aesthetically, you website is much better than most . . . most computer repair sites look like they jumped out of the 90s. When it comes to websites, appearance is everything (well, most everything). To the user, it shows how competent you are in computer repairs and technology in general. If you site looks like its dated back to the 90's, then many will assume that your skill set is dated as well.

I would change the logo . . . the eyeball just doesn't look that great and I think you can do better.

Also, your "call to action" should not be the big contact us link that goes to a form to fill out. People hate that crap, they want a phone number they can call. One thing you do though is add a link for a map and directions and link it to your google maps page. My customers check out this page all the time and as a result they see the 20+ five star reviews I have from previous customers.

The locations drop down menu is unnecessary.

Don't have a blog or a forum unless you are going to be active and keep it up. If you want to post tips and tricks, then call it just "Tips and Tricks" instead of blog if you are not going to post regularly (once a week).

I would think that prices would be under services.

Testimonial pages should most definitely also link to sites with good reviews.

I like the choice of colors and layout, its nice and clean and professional.

Let us know when you update your site.

Dameize
02-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Aesthetically, you website is much better than most . . . most computer repair sites look like they jumped out of the 90s. When it comes to websites, appearance is everything (well, most everything). To the user, it shows how competent you are in computer repairs and technology in general. If you site looks like its dated back to the 90's, then many will assume that your skill set is dated as well.

I would change the logo . . . the eyeball just doesn't look that great and I think you can do better.

Also, your "call to action" should not be the big contact us link that goes to a form to fill out. People hate that crap, they want a phone number they can call. One thing you do though is add a link for a map and directions and link it to your google maps page. My customers check out this page all the time and as a result they see the 20+ five star reviews I have from previous customers.

The locations drop down menu is unnecessary.

Don't have a blog or a forum unless you are going to be active and keep it up. If you want to post tips and tricks, then call it just "Tips and Tricks" instead of blog if you are not going to post regularly (once a week).

I would think that prices would be under services.

Testimonial pages should most definitely also link to sites with good reviews.

I like the choice of colors and layout, its nice and clean and professional.

Let us know when you update your site.

Hi mate,
Have not done any work at all on it for over a week now. Im going to sit down tonight though and implement the changes everyone has suggested. I will be keeping the locations though as filler and for extra interactivity.

Thanks.