PDA

View Full Version : Compaq CQ61 inherant fault?

MM PC Solutions
01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm seeing a fair few Compaq CQ61's come in that are not booting. DC-Jack light is on but that's as far as it go's.

I've replaced the DC-Jack's and 9 times out of 10 they boot up fine but what I want to know is this kind of some inherent fault that could be claimed for out of warranty?

phaZed
01-24-2012, 05:51 PM
If it's out of warranty I'm pretty sure your not going to get any compensation from Compaq/HP. The DC jack is kind of a wear and tear item, and there is no way to tell how nicely they have been treated.

I wouldn't say that that series has an inherent problem with that particular DC jack, but perhaps there is a higher failure rate compared to other jack designs?

jfmiller52
01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
If i remember correctly, the housing for the DC jack in those were pretty flimsy. Next time you see one, you should check to see if the jack came loose and the metal jacketing is grounding somewhere on the board.

MM PC Solutions
01-27-2012, 12:17 AM
If i remember correctly, the housing for the DC jack in those were pretty flimsy. Next time you see one, you should check to see if the jack came loose and the metal jacketing is grounding somewhere on the board.

Got another one here, so I'll crack it open tomorrow and check.