PDA

View Full Version : Outlook express problems

markiezzi
10-01-2008, 02:46 AM
Hello,

I have a client using outlook express on their desktop and notebook computer. They are running a business and he is having a problem with not recieving all his e-mail on his desktop. Some messages will show up on the notebook and others won't . He doesn't have any spam filter installed. My thinking is that his wife checks all the mail on her notebook then when he checks his mail on the desktop new stuff doesn't show up, but he has a check box under "keep all mail on the server". It is kind of hard to explain but if anyone can understand what I am trying to say or has any questions please let me know. Both the desktop and notebook have the same mail accounts set up. In other words a friend of his will send him 3 e-mail messages he will only get 2 out of the 3 on his desktop but his wife will get all 3 on her notebook.

Thanks
Mark

Skyhooker
10-01-2008, 03:22 AM
he has a check box under "keep all mail on the server".

You have to have the same box checked on every computer running Outlook Express that's used to check that email account, or the one that doesn't will send the message to the server to delete the messages. It wasn't clear whether the laptop had that setting checked or only the desktop he uses.

markiezzi
10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Hello,

Both the laptop and desktop have the box checked. I thought about his webhosting company maybe filtering the mail but he said he doesn't subscribe to that service from them since it costs extra. He uses his company domain name to receive e-mail. He has comcast internet connection going through a linksys router.

Thanks
Mark

Skyhooker
10-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Are they able to log into the email account from a web page as well as an email client like OE? If so, you'd be able to see whether the missing emails are still on the server, and whether Outlook Express on one particular computer for some reason isn't downloading them, which would narrow down the problem.

Also, have you tried any other mail clients? Mozilla Thunderbird is free, and I'm pretty sure they have a setting to leave mail on the server until deleted.

Oh, that reminds me - are you sure the missing messages haven't been deleted on the laptop computer? The "keep messages" setting only keeps them until deleted. I'm sure that's obvious, but thought I'd mention it.

XFalloutX
10-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Oh, that reminds me - are you sure the missing messages haven't been deleted on the laptop computer? The "keep messages" setting only keeps them until deleted. I'm sure that's obvious, but thought I'd mention it.

Thats what I was thinking. If the "Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'" is check then both computer will not be able to get the same email if someone deletes if from the other. Just make sure the "Leave a copy of message on server" is checked on both computer it should work. Although I have seen Outlook Express do some funky things

koonter
10-02-2008, 09:25 AM
i had the same problem.

are both outlooks the same version? (2003 vs. 2007)

are they set to use IMAP or POP?

IMAP apparently is better equipped to handle this scena...

here just read this:

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:34mIq4ZCSOEJ:www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Office_Productivity/Groupware/Outlook/Q_23441466.html+outlook+2+computers+same+account+n ot+receiving+all+email&hl=iw&ct=clnk&cd=9&gl=il&client=firefox-a