PDA

View Full Version : Backup Exec 11d to a Tape Drive on another server

YOCS
01-18-2012, 01:00 AM
I'm kind of a noob with Backup Exec. Does anyone know if it's possible to configure a backup in Backup Exec 11d so that it will back up to an HP tape drive that is physically connected to another server. I want to back up files on both servers. BU Exec is located on server1 and the tape drive is connected to server2. I have the BU Exec remote Agent installed on server2. I don't see the HP drive located in Device Pools in BU Exec on server1 and I'm not sure if I should. I did search google but nothing really turned up for this senario. Any help or other backup solutions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

YeOldeStonecat
01-18-2012, 02:02 AM
Been a while since I've run multiple servers on BE....but back a couple of versions ago, you'd install the full BE package on the server with the drives. And then the agents on the other servers. From the BE on the server with the drive, you'll see the remote agents and "pull" those in.

synack2
01-18-2012, 03:24 AM
The server with the tape drive is a or the media server. This is whre you make all of the schedules. You load the backup agent onto the remote servers and then you can see them when you create the backup job/schedule on the media servers. It has been a while for me too, I gave up on tape a long long long time ago, but the last time I did it, it was version 12 and that was how it worked for 11 too I believe.

YOCS
01-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for your response guys. I just inherited this office and currently there is no backup. The owner is reluctant to put any other software (i.e. BE) on server2 w/ the tape drive because he thinks the Timberline software may have issues.
So they put BE 11d on the Server1 which is the DC and the BE Agent on server2 w/ the tape drive. I've only got a few very small businesses that I support mostly home office so generally I set up a backup with an external drive and Mozy. Is there another backup strategy you can recommend.

YeOldeStonecat
01-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Is there another backup strategy you can recommend.

No...I can think of a way to hack/force BE to run differently than it is designed to...despite how much I dislike that software.

onetech4all
01-18-2012, 03:07 PM
I use the BackUp Exec 11d version and I pretty sure it will not backup to the tape drive if it's not connected locally. I think I did some research about this a couple of years ago and the answer was No. You can move the SCSI card to a different server and install the software there, or you can only use the current server for backup. You can double check if you wish by calling Symantec.

YOCS
01-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Ok thanks for the info... I'm not stuck on BE if someone has another suggestion for a backup. What about cloud based backups anybody using them in small business environment?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

krtechsolutions
01-18-2012, 06:45 PM
for local i like storagecraft and for remote/online i use xz backup

i am a reseller of both if you need any help

YeOldeStonecat
01-18-2012, 07:26 PM
You can move the SCSI card to a different server and install the software there, or you can only use the current server for backup.

Actually...there ya go....just move the tape drive to the other server. That way server 2 just has the BE remote agent...already installed, along with Timberline.